For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Montenegrin footballer Nikola Nikezic says he was beaten into signing termination documents releasing his Russian Premier League club Kuban Krasnodar from their obligations. He has written a letter complaining about his treatment to FIFA president Sepp Blatter. The club for their part have denied the allegations. The RPL have been dogged by allegations of corruption and match fixing.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ca...qM5g3HAl2Gr792cP1aQBX1B_KBEQJ3Q?docId=6253890

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Spain won 2-1 thanks to two goal from David Villa. Would have loved to see the game.

4. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Check ESPN3.com; I believe they have the game available for viewing. It was a good game, def worth watching...

5. iceberg08

iceberg08 Active Member

Friendly: USA wins against Argentina 1-1!

6. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

The way Argentina played the 1st half it could have been 20 - 0 instead of 1 - 0 at half time. If you've ever seen Barcelona play when they are on their game you'll have an idea how Argentina was playing. A couple subs by Bob Bradley at the half and a change of formations, to 4-4-2 from 4-5-1, made the USA much more competitive in the 2nd, tying the game in the 65th minute or so. Then the game turned into a dog fight. Friendly, my ass! Both teams wanted the win and got quite forceful about the whole thing. The near 78,000 fans, it was a sell out, at the New Giants Stadium got their money's worth. An entertaining & exciting match...:cool:

NJL (...team USA ain't the best on the planet, but they never quit and seem to be unafraid of superb teams like Argentina. Wild stuff in NJ....a great example of why this sport is the worlds most popular ..:D...)

7. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it yet but it's recorded on my dvr. :cool:

Makes me happy to see futbol catching on in the USA! :cheer:

8. iceberg08

iceberg08 Active Member

Argentina were moving really well on the first half but the finishing just wasn't there. I agree it could have been a blowout but it just wasn't happening for them that night. Credit to Tim Howard for being so solid.

9. NeilJLeonard

....on April 9th, 2011 the resurrected NASL (North American Soccer League) begins play as a Division 2 league. There are various teams involve (9 as of now, or is it 8?...www.nasl.com .....including some in Canada), but the match between 2 of them may be of special interest to some members of this board:

At 730PM on that day Edmonton FC will play a season opening match, for both teams, at Lockhart Stadium in Ft Lauderdale vs South Florida's own Ft Lauderdale Strikers. It's 1979 deja vu all over again...;)..... AFAIK there will be a crowd in excess of 4,000 at the Stadium to witness this event, but NASL does not have any TV deal, or radio either, so please stay tuned for the end result of this epic battle.

Festivities begin at and on the Stadium grounds at 4PM for tailgating, etc. Come one, come all for the least expensive sports ticket (General Admission is $10 for adults & $7 for children w/free parking) in town. No matter the outcome it should be a happening well worth the price...:)

NJL (...Striker season ticket holder - there are at least 1,000 of us - and Striker Liker yet again for Strikers 3.0....:biggrinbo...)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  10. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

How about that Neil? Good for them. I have very fond memories of going to NASL games in the 70's and seeing the first incarnation of the San Jose Earthquakes. And of course, actually seeing the great Pele play in person.

The fact that they could resurrect the league even as a D-2 league indicates how the game is gaining more popularity in North America everyday. Too bad the Tampa team didn't ressurect the "Rowdies" nickname. :lol:

11. NeilJLeonard

The folks in Tampa badly want the Rowdies name. Sadly, there are legal issues involved. The Strikers had a bit of a problem, too, but evidently ironed them out in the last year.

That name, along with getting Tim Robbie on board as team President, has really ignited a fire down here. We feel that 6,000+ on Saturday's opening match and an average over 4,000 is possible. When you consider that last year there were 37 season tickets sold the 1,000+ that have been sold this year is remarkable. In fact, I was told that this years season ticket sales exceed the season ticket sales for the entire 5 years of the Strikers predecessor, Miami FC. And, of course, the 4,000 + season average is an astounding number,too...:)

We dearly hope that this is our route to MLS as outlined to us by some dude from MLS named Garber in a meeting we had with him in January. We'll see.

NJL (....I have more to say, but a sick baby crying demands my attention...:(...)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  12. KHenry14

That's really interesting Neil. Too bad about the Rowdies name, that would have been a nice tie in.

Garber's probably right, seeing that's exactly how Portland and Vancouver got into MLS. If you keep up those figures, you might be able to get into MLS by 2014-15.

Here' hoping that the team and the league are a huge success. BTW, wouldn't want to take that road trip to Edmonton from Ft. Lauderdale.

13. NeilJLeonard

Road trips are planned for Tampa Bay - Al Lang Field in St Petersburg - and Atlanta. No one else is close enough.

Garber is using the Pacific NW as his model for us to even be considered. He demands we meet that model. We'll see. He also said that MLS team #20 will be another team in NYC. Period. Maybe the Cosmos? Sounds interesting.

NJL

14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

There is something about LeBron James becoming part owner of LIVERPOOL FC!?!?! Poor Liverpool! Chad Ochocinco is trying out with Sporting KC?! Not sure if I am supposed to be happy or scared that all these basketball folks are delving into the world of footie.

Sounds like the MLS is going gang busters! Great to hear and hope you get your wish Neil. :respec:

15. NeilJLeonard

Ochocinco plays American Football, not BB.

I wish LeBron would invest a few buck up the road in Ft Lauderdale if he wants to invest in soccer. They need his $$$ far more than Liverpool does.

Thanks, Buzz. I appreciate the thought...:)

16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Sorry Neil... brain hiccup... I actually did/do know Ochocinco from DWTS and remember he is a AF player. I am a little scattered brained these days. :lol: BTW Is anyone else impressed that Schalke defeated Inter 5-2 this week? :D I luv me a little Inter now and then but cannot help but cheer for the little German club that could. :)

17. KHenry14

The Cosmos are pretty certain to be a done deal. Cobi Jones quit working on Bruce Arena's staff with the Galaxy to take a front office job with the Cosmos. He wouldn't do that on a whim. I just wonder where they are going to play.

18. NeilJLeonard

Garber would only say things about another team in NYC. There are several groups after it. The Cosmos group is very much in the running, but the $$$ are not aligned as MLS wants them just yet. Remember the entry fee is now $40,000,000. That ain't chump change. Plus, they want the group to have the financial resources to function for x number of years before they turn a profit & their own Soccer Specific Stadium built or well into the planning stages. This requires deep, deep pockets. We'll see how this NYC thing pans out. I'd love to see the Cosmos return, but it is not guaranteed.

BTW, it seems that whatever team that has Mr Beckham as part owner will get a discounted entry fee. My understanding is that he is being courted by many groups, including some folks here. It's going to be fun to see how that turns out, too.

Garber also states that he has several people and/or groups inquiring about MLS ownership somewhere, sometime. Since he's implied that MLS may grow to at least 24 teams eventually (maybe more?) it seems that the cash and interest are available for that growth.

Since he's also said that MLS MUST grown into the Southeastern USA and Greater Miami is on their radar as a desirable location we do have hope that we'll eventually belong to that select group again. But, supporting local soccer (the Strikers) is essential to that possibility. Do ya want MLS? Support the Div 2 NASL Strikers and we'll see. If ya don't support them, forget about it....:eek:

We'll see how all this plays out over the next few years. Hopefully we'll be successful. But there are already 2 other groups in Florida - Tampa & Orlando - courting MLS. And a group in Atlanta. And NC. It is rumored that at least one more in Canada. It's gonna be interesting to see who has the $$$ up front, SSS built or planned, visible fan base, solid ownership group with $$$ to continue with sustained losses for a decade or more, etc to impress TPTB in MLS to grant them a franchise.

NJL (...in the meantime The Ft Lauderdale Strikers 3.0 - or is it 4.0? - open their season tomorrow at Lockhart Stadium @ 1930....festivities start at 1600 or so, BYOB...and let the good time roll, like it's 1979 all over again.....;)....)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  19. NeilJLeonard

Drew an excellent crowd of over 6,400 to Lockhart Stadium. We watched a not very good Striker team lose 2-1. I wonder how many will come out next Friday for their next home game. I have season tix, so I'll be there. But, I wonder how many 1st timers will give it another try?

More work needed, I'm afraid.

NJL

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I hope fans continue to support your team Neil. :) Meanwhile Man U is in the lead in the EPL! :D And all sorts of rumours about Chelsea's owner not being happy with the poor showing by the club's $50m man Fernando Torres.

21. NeilJLeonard

He's probably less happy with Torres after Chelsea's 2-1 loss to Man U & elimination from the UEFA Champion's League yesterday. Torres looked good, but just could not score. Man U looked very good in the win and advance to a semi-final against, probably, Schalke.

Barcelona advanced on 6-1 aggregate by defeating Shaktar Donetsk with a 1-0 road win. Their goal (his 48th of the season in all comps) from some young kid named Messi. He seems to play the game pretty good....:rolleyes:... You ever hear of him?... :D...Barca moves on to a semi against, probably Real Madrid. Yes, I intend to watch that match if it comes to pass...;)

Probable final? Barca v Man U. Probable champion? Barca. They simply are the best team on Earth right now.

NJL (...and Barca's style of play is the most entertaining, too...)

22. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

I am rooting for Schalke now (who are, by the way, 9th on the German league table). It's like a fairy tale in blue...

23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Great for Schalke unfortunately for me I was rooting for Inter. :lol: Well at least my boys move on. :D

24. NeilJLeonard

1-1 come from behind draw against Minnesota off of a 90th minute PK in front of 4,442 paid attendance. The Strikers then nearly won it on a diving header from a corner kick in the last few seconds. A fun & entertaining evening that will make their 4 game road trip seem much longer. But, they return with a match against Tampa Bay that could draw near 10K fans. That could be very exciting. We'll see.

NJL (my son went to the game with me......we've not done that in years...My b'day present to him - he'll be 33 on Sunday -...I loved it & we both had fun & a very good evening together.....perfect..:)...)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  25. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

The first of this month's four El Classico's was today---Wheeee!

26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw the Messi v Ronaldo game...errr.... I mean Barcelona v Real Madrid/ hehehe It ended in a 1-1 tie thanks to two well deserved penalties. I also took in much of the Man U v Man C match which City won but the best part of the match took place after the final whistle with Balotelli showing his temper and age quite a bit.

27. NeilJLeonard

I wonder what he said/did that had Rio Ferdinand so very, very angry...:eek:

28. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

"The Italian incensed Ferdinand after the final whistle on Saturday by reportedly thrusting the badge on his shirt in the direction of opposition supporters."

Balotelli also winked at Ferdinand in a cheeky manner, according to the Guardian...

His wife had a baby daughter earlier that day...perhaps he was a bit stressed...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/17/rio-ferdinand-mario-balotelli

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

So Balotelli didn't necessarily do anything out of the ordinary except be a bit too cheeky? So he was a good boy for a change? I'm happy with that. LOL BTW Manchester City can have the FA Cup trophy. Because my boys look really good to capture the EPL title. :D

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Nigerian defender Olubayo Adefemi has died from injuries sustained in an automobile accident. Adefemi piled his trade in Greece from the Super league team Xanthi. He was 25 years old and was planning on returning to Nigeria to wed. Condolences to his family. R.I.P.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/9461573.stm