For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I agree he's an oaf, but if Qatar truly intends to arrest and prosecute people who are caught having "gay sex," :puppet: then the issue needs to be addressed. Clearly, that was not Blatter's intent though...asshat :revenge:

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The whole way FIFA does business needs to be changed. Not to mention the whole excutive committee and Blatter needs to be changed as well. The Swiss says they want to change to law that exempts FIFA from government scrutiny. I am not going to hold my breath on that one however. I doubt FIFA took into consideration much when awarding Qatar the WC except money afterall Australia is also a new country but only got one vote. But until Mr. Alter could come up with more than just a few unsubstantiated posts on twitter allegations of corruption will just remain unfounded rumour.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ar...aunch-corruption-probe-World-Cup-scandal.html

3. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

I didn't follow the campaign at all, so what are the lingering questions about Qatar?

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The heat is one thing. Qatar promised air conditioned stadium with new tachnologies they were developing. Although Qatar is not publicly saying this, many are now saying that playing the tournament in summer is impossible and should be moved to January 2022. But that would mean big reshuffling in many domestic leagues and regional club championships. Not to mention the WC qualifying is not usually done until early in the year so that would be cutting it really close. Plus other countries in the region are saying that should the cup be moved to winter then they want to host some games. There have been joint hosts before but the cup have not ever to the best of my knowledge been broken up and divided between multiple countries after it was awarded to a single country. Plus Saudi Arabia is closest to Qatar and much more conservative so not sure how that will work. Gay sex is illegal and men are advised to not talk to Qatari women in public. Most of the country's 1.7m quoted population are migrant labourers who may not be able to afford to attend games. And of course Qatar does not allow public consumption of alcohol except in designated areas. Visitors to the country are advised to dress conservatively. (many fans are known for dancing while drinking in public in scant clothing ) There were some vague threats against the WC by terrorists or those claiming to speak for them. But I guess that is usual fare for most big sporting tournaments. Then of course there is the sticky question of what will happen if Israel qualified for the WC. Would their team and and fans be welcomed and would it be safe for them? Well at least as someone else said the 2022 WC is a long time away so maybe it could all be ironed out by then. Hopefully...

http://www.qatartourism.gov.qa/plan/index/1/201/
    http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/qatar

Today's Europa League results:
    Dinamo Zagreb 0 - 1 PAOK
    Club Brugge 1 - 2 Villarreal
    AZ 3 - 0 BATE
    Sparta Praha 1 - 1 CSKA Moskva
    Lausanne 0 - 1 Palermo
    Dynamo Kyiv 0 - 0 Sheriff
    Liverpool 0 - 0 Utrecht
    Porto 3 - 1 CSKA Sofia
    Sevilla 2 - 2 Dortmund
    Napoli 1 - 0 Steaua
    Karpaty 1 - 1 PSG
    Beşiktaş 2 - 0 Rapid Wien

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Massimo Moriatti on playing in the World Club Championship in Abu Dhabi:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/early-doors/article/303299/

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Results from today's Europa League matches:
    Salzburg 0 - 1 Lech
    Juventus 1 - 1 Man. City
    Leverkusen 1 - 1 Atlético
    Lille 3 - 0 Gent
    Aris 2 - 0 Rosenborg
    Levski 1 - 0 Sporting
    Anderlecht 2 - 0 Hajduk Split
    Stuttgart 5 - 1 OB
    Getafe 1 - 0 Young Boys
    Debrecen 2 - 0 Sampdoria
    PSV 0 - 0 Metalist
    AEK 0 - 3 Zenit

7. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

Thanks for the context, Buzz - I wasn't aware all that was happening in the background.

For me the biggest problems are these:

1) It's stupid to have the WC in the winter bc it messes up all the leagues' regular seasons
    2) It seems a lot of money has been passed around and there might be something stinky about that

And near and dear to my heart:

3) Qatari nationals (and all the Gulf countries, imo) treat their domestic workers, laborers and other migrants essentially like slaves. In all likelihood, those people will build all the arenas under abusive conditions and I cannot support that. I want to see international pressure for Qatar to take steps to improve the lives and conditions of their migrant labor force in the years leading up to the WC. That might be the best part of the games!

8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

10. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yet more journalists speaking up against moving the Qatar World Cup to winter and of parceling out some of the the championship games to other countries. This writer suggest that if peace and unity was FIFA's goal, as long as they are dividing up the WC, why not give some games to Israel?! :D
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-jones-soccer-20101219,0,7991831.column

13. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

I hope that is not the case and allow Qatar to host the games since they bid and won the rights to host the games. If Israel feels a need to get world cup they should try bidding for it. the article looks lame to me...

14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

It was a joke by the collumist because it was also suggested that other mid-east countries should host some of the games since Qatar is so small. I think they meant other muslim countries. I hope you are against any other nation/s other than the bidder hosting any of the games period.

According to Goal.com there are persistent rumours that Qatar holdings wants to make a $1.5b bid for Man U. I am not in favour of this at all but would rather see the Red Knights buy the club. But oil dollars speak and the fans never have any say in any of football's matters so I if this is what Qatar Holdings want, they will get it. At least it should alleviate Man U's problems, if only for the moment.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

16. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Old news, this was Blatter's comment from soon after the world cup was awarded to Qatar and huge uproar in Aussie, British and American press. Secondly the author of article seems to be as mad as Blatter himself by interpreting the way he likes and making even more delusional comments of his own.

The story to come out of 2018 and 2022 world cup bids are that of so called corruption with in FIFA with no solid proof provided by the accusers. I would like to see more evidence and more back up investigation from the accusers and not just whine about the lost world cup bid. Everyday so called respectable journalists come out with a corruption story without providing any proof. For me this is bordering the propaganda stories that North Korea does, without providing any proof.

17. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Since our good friend Buzz is spending mucho time covering revolutions and wars it seems to be up to some others to get back to posting the important news of the day here.

I don't have anything to post, so someone else will have to do it...:rolleyes:

NJL (...April 9th, 2011...Ft Lauderdale Strikers host Edmonton FC @ Lockhart Stadium in Ft Lauderdale to kick off the NASL Div II season.....Let's hope that Div 2 in NA flies this time...:cool:...)

18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Sorry Neil. Just decided to take break. :( How about Fernando Torres being transfered to Chelsea for $60m but is yet to score a single goal?

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

just for my fellow footie fiend. :D Arsenal was sent packing by Messi and Co. while Shaktar reached the final either for the first time in it's history I believe.

20. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Barca just had too much for the Gunners. And losing Van Persie just rubbed salt on the wound

21. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

I think the snood ban is kind of dumb. They have been wearing them in Serie A for years. It started out at -7 C last night at the Shakhtar/Roma game! The GKs should at least be allowed to keep them, since they don't get to get run around, poor things!

22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Spurs and Schalke moves on in the CL while the Russian PL started up again today with the usual suspects winning their opeing matches. Man U is still holding on to the top spot in the EPL.

23. NeilJLeonard

Especially losing van Persie to one of the stupidest yellow cards this ex-referee has ever seen....;)

OTOH, the Gunners were going to lose that match with van Persie or without him. Remember that they never had one shot on goal. Their only goal was a Barca own goal. Barca was on it's game big time & had numerous chances to score and were successful on 3 of them. It was simply a case of the better team winning both the set and the match.

24. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I agree-stupid, stupid yellow card for RVP. I think that ref was fed up with VP's arguing and pushing and was willing to throw the book at him. RVP has razor sharp aim, and he shot way far back from goal, so I think he did indeed hear the whistle blow and made the shot just to blow off steam. Still, I don't think he should have gotten the second yellow. However, the whole thing could have been avoided had he kept his composure during the game. Why don't these hotheads realize that you never EVER EVER EVER win when you argue with the referee?

Did anyone see the Sevilla vs Barcelona game over the weekend? Sevilla is one team that knows how to neutralize Barcas brilliant passing game...or at least make them really work for the goals.

I'm excited about today's CL games...four good teams playing today...I don't know who to cheer for...

25. NeilJLeonard

I caught bits & pieces of that one. It was amusing to watch the frustration on the Barca players faces. Especially on the Sevilla goal. Sevilla's game in the 2nd half was to duplicate Barca's in your face defensive style. They worked it very well. For all of that Barca hit the goal framework a couple times in the match. They very well could have scored a couple more goals for the win. Just not their day it seemed, for once...;)

26. NeilJLeonard

Galaxy v Sounders to start the league's 16th season. Could be a good one. Both the match & the season...:biggrinbo

NJL (...;)...)

27. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I know I should show more excitement for MLS...the games themselves are often good, but I'm just too caught up in EPL, Primera Division, Champions League, Europa..too many games, not enough time.

Watching Liverpool vs Braga ...Liverpool players are in their own little world which apparently has very little to do with football...wake up!

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Man City, Liverpool and Zenit are some of the big names out of the Europa League.

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Mohammed Bin Hammam will challenge Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency. As much as I would love to see Blatter tossed out of his you know what I doubt Hammam will be any better a president than Blatter.

30. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

In an unbelievable return to the USA, Charlie Davies scores 2 goals for DC United tonight. He's come full circle in the 15 months since his accident. Truly an incredible night for him. :D