For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Speaking of Barca, how is Vilanova doing?

2. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

He's feeling fine and went back at work after going to New York to get a second opinion about his cancer. He also said something along the lines of there is no better therapy than being with the players, hitting the ball and coaching. I'm sure it doesn't hurt the team is winning Liga games left and right -and I hope they do well in the CL as well.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2013/01/14/actualidad/1358120765_545482.html

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Me too, as long as it is not at the expense of my boys. hehehehe :EVILLE:

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

David Villa wants out of Barca. So the question is where is he going to end up.

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

^ If Asmir Begovic is available, I'd say grab him over Casillas. He's 6 years younger and very impressive based on what I've seen. I realize he doesn't come with the same name recognition as Iker, but am pretty sure he could get the job done at the end of the day and for a lot less money.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjCiISo-R04#t=53s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjCiISo-R04#t=1m15s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjCiISo-R04#t=2m15s etc.

Yes, I was emotionally scarred as a fan of the other team :p

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The 60 Minutes Sports interview with Messi is on YouTube. It was very nice to watch although the audio was very bad. I do have to take issue with them however about Barca being the best team on earth. :p

8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I have been reading about him too! Sounds like a very promising young man! Guess we'll both have to wait to see who Man U choose.

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Mario Balotelli has been traded to A C Milan from Manchester City. Hope he is happier there.

10. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

guys like that usually are never happy.... :drama:

11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Has anyone been following this story? :eek: If the suspicions are true, I can't think of a worse match-fixing scandal.

12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yeah unfortunately I have. I am speechless but at least they said the top teams are most likely not involved. Sad just plain sad.

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The African Nations Cup is down to the final four and Mali v Nigeria goes off at 1500 tomorrow, followed by Burkina Faso v Nigeria at 18:30. Good luck to all! Should be really good!

14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Balotelli is now at the centre of a racism row in Italy through no fault of his own. Here is a quote from the Independant newspaper. Balotelli himself has had no comment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...r-calls-him-the-familys-little-n-8482504.html

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Nigeria booked it's place n the final with a decisive 4-1 win over Mali with a very young team. Perhaps a sign of things to come in 2014?!

16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Burkino Faso beat Ghana on penalties to reach the final. Meanwhile the US lost an WC qualifier against Honduras 2-1. :(

17. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

What a nightmare result for the USMNT. :mad: Dempsey makes one of the best goals the team has seen in years.....and then the team screws up defensively twice to lose the game.

Only saving grace is Jamaica went into Azteca and got a 0-0 draw with the Tri's.

18. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

And Panama/Costa Rica also played to a draw. Still, the USA is in 6th place in the Hex. I thought the team was a bit too inexperienced for that game, especially in the back. Sadly, I had it right for once.

IMO, both goals were preventable if the back 4 had stopped ball watching long enough to make an effort to control/clear the ball. They didn't and Team USA paid a very high price for their negligence. Game #2 v Jamaica in Denver is now a must win, since game #3 is against El Tri at Azteca and no one sees the USA winning 2 straight there. Needless to say, 0 for 3 to start the the Hex could very well be the kiss of death for the USA's chances of getting to Brazil in 2014.

NJL (..and the "get rid of Klinsi" crowd on BS is now at full voice.)

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Oh jeez.... Had no idea team USA was in such dire straits. :wideeyes: Klinsman just don't seem like the right fit.

20. NeilJLeonard

He, and the head of the USSF, want the players to play like Barcelona or Spain. Short, quick, one touch passing. Constant possession, until someone makes a darting run to get a killer through pass for a quick goal through the center of the penalty box. That has never been our style, and it took Barcelona/Spain about 20 years to master it. It has to start in an academy at age 8 or so and carried forward until the player reaches maturity in his 20s. We are just now starting academies (not at the club level, but regionally through the USSF). We are 20 years away from what he wants. We may pay a price during the next few WC cycles.

Plus, we are going through a changing of the guard as far as the players are concerned. Donovan is all but retired. He may be back, or he may not. He says he's burned out. The back 4, the entire defense, is playing it's first Hex because the players they are replacing are either a bit too old or have had injury problems that keep them from playing. They got a brutal lesson on how difficult it is to play in this tournament, especially on the road. The mid-field is still in flux. We've never had a really dangerous forward line. Add these things together & we may see the USA not qualify for the WC this time, unless Klinsmann finds a magic formula to inspire the players he has to play much, much better than they did in Honduras. Overall, they played a very poor, uninspired game there. We can advance if they get it through their heads that they must play quicker, with more urgency. If so, we stand a decent chance of being one of the 3 or 4 teams that represent CONCACAF in Brazil. Still, I do not think we'll finish 1st in the Hex, nor do I think we'll get out of group play in Brazil.

NJL

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

There goes my favourite fantasy of the US making the final four at the WC. :(

22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Man U is now 12 points clear and a wn tomorrow will make that change permanent for now. Watched Southampton trounce Man City 3-1 today. :hat1:

23. Maofan7

Maofan7 Bring Back The 6.0 System

Champions League Result: Real Madrid 1 - 1 Manchester United

Advantage Man Utd - priceless away goal.

:cheer2::biggrinbo:cheer2::biggrinbo:cheer2:

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I would rather have had a win but I guess this will have to do for now. :p Overall the EPL did really well with the exception of Liverpool...

25. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

AC Milan beat Barca 2-0 today and three Spurs fans were injured in France when they were attacked by masked assailants when at an English style pub. The attack might have had an anti-Semitic motive to it because Spurs is said to be a Jewish club or something like that. But it is doubtful if any of the victims were actually Jewish.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Bye-bye Liverpool!!! Better luck next time. :hat1:

27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Man U's lead remains at 12 after City's win agains Chelsea. Oh well... The 15 points felt nice for the day or so it lasted. LOL

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Guess not even the storied Barca could win them all; Real beat them 3-1 to reach the Copa Del Rey final.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21580381

And TFC's next match is on March 2 against Vancouver. They next play at home on March 9th.

29. NeilJLeonard

Real kicked their butts. As did Milan over the week end. I've not seen Barca this inept before. Right now they are anything but the best team in the sport.

BTW, Canadians, you'll have another pro soccer franchise in 2014. The Ottawa Fury will be joining 2nd tier NASL starting next year. They'll be joined by the Virginia Cavalry and an as yet unnamed team from Indianapolis. This year the NASL will be joined at midseason by the NY Cosmos. Unfortunately, the former league champion Puerto Rico Islanders are not playing in 2013 because of financial reasons. They *hope* to be back in 2014. If so, that will give the NASL 12 active teams playing in 2014. That is good for the sport in North America.

NJL

30. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

There, there. You'll have to console yourself with a double digit lead now =). At the rate Chelsea's playing is deteriorating, we'll be lucky to stay in the top 4.