For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Congrats to Corinthians on winning the Club World Cup. This title means a lot to that club and it's fans good on them. :respec:

2. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

No :EVILLE:

3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Are they that unpopular with other teams in the Brazilian league?

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Hehehe I wonder hw long Rafa will last as Chelsea's coach?

5. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

The fact that Roman Abramovich only gave Rafa a temporary contract to the end of the season indicates that in all probability, Pep Guardiola has been lined up to take over as manager next season.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

As long as he gets Torres to start scoring, he might stick around for a while. I'm still very resentful of RDM being let go once he benched him in the Champions League, but it's pretty clear ownership wants to get some of their 50MM pounds worth out of No 9. Bf played well the second half against Leeds, and it was v. nice to see Moses scoring. Also, Leeds looked like they belonged back in the PL the entire first half.

Maofan, am not sure about Guardiola, especially with poor Vilanova who just had his cancer come back. I'm afraid Mourinho might be more likely :scream:

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Lots of news in the footsie world today. Messi makes 91 goals this season. It is still debatable if he is the greatest ever but he is certainly making a strong case for himself. Fergie is furious that RVP was hit on the head with a ball today. Considering what we now know about the possible effects this sorts of hits can have on an athlete's long term health I say he has every right to be mad. Plus Villa may have saved Rafa's job by not showing up to do theirs. hehehehe

8. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Yes, that was quite a spanking they got, wasn't it? :D

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

The thing with brazilian (well, south american) football: if the brazilian team playing is not the one you cheer for, you must cheer against them.
    And the over exposure is just too much.
    When Internacional (the other team from my city, from Brazil's southern region) won in 2006, the brazilian TV networks didn't show a third as much as they showed the team form the southeast.

The football broadcasting here is so damn biased towards the southwest teams, it's sickening.

And oh, Grêmio and its beautiful, brand new Arena, FTW!

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

My boys are making me proud! :cheer2: Chelsea is back in trouble but I hope that their meddling owner leave Rafa alone to do his job. There is talk about Ronaldo being unhappy at Real, not sure why however. Unless I am totally daft, it is transfer season! :watch: BTW... Nice arena beepbeep. :respec:

11. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Man U is on a tear..and it will be interesting to see what happens in February/March when they take on El Triste and the rest of Real Madrid. Chelsea was pretty awful against QPR and it was pretty clear Marin and Oscar need more time before they're ready to replace Mata & Hazard on a regular basis. Eh well, they never really had any time to rest after the club WC in Japan, so it makes sense they couldn't play every single game in this stretch.

I second the :cheer: for Grêmio's new stadium. All that blue makes me happy ;).

12. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

A talented young man for sure but for me this whole transfer season so far has been a bit of a yawn. :yawn:

14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Hey! 60 minutes has a piece on Messi tonight! You could see it later on the CBS website later. :cheer2:

15. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

It was a piece on FC Barcelona & it's academy & how it develops players, not just Messi. Very well done, as is the followup online. There should be more on Barca from 60 Minutes on Wednesday night. It should concentrate even more on the Barca Academy.

NJL

16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yeah well... I got a weeeee bit carried away. LOL In my own defence I was just sooo over the moon to see a major US network do a piece on footie that I got a bit carried away. :slinkaway unfortunately unless that 60 minutes sports piece is available online I won't be able to watch. :(

17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I agree, Buzz. Seeing that kind of football coverage on a major US network was a big deal -and I even got past the fact they completely ignored Iniesta during the report. I was scratching my head slightly about the fact they kept insisting their academy is so unique (hello, Ajax?), but it has been uniquely successful as of late.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50138328n (hopefully not geo-blocked).

18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link but I need to download the App to watch it which is not available outside the US. :(

19. NeilJLeonard

Does Andres Iniesta speak English? Note that the players interviewed, with the exception of Messi, did. That was probably a deciding factor. Messi's 91 goals in 2012 & 4 consecutive Balloon d'Or awards undoubtedly made his appearance required (he just got #4 after the broadcast......Abby Wambach of the USA got the woman's trophy...).

As far as I know, team academies like the ones at Barca & Ajax, and with many other clubs worldwide, do not exist here in any sport. There may be private ones available at a cost in some sports, tennis comes to mind & there are/were some for baseball. Consequently, a team stocking it's roster with homegrown product is quite a novelty.

NJL

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  20. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

That's a good point. He does speak some English, but not as fluently as Fabregas or Pique. I just love his playmaking ability so it was a little disappointing they never highlighted any of his passes, even though they were on the montages shown. It does makes sense they didn't want to clutter the report with player names normal viewers wouldn't find familiar.

I keep thinking like a European, but you're right that type of training environment isn't common in the US. Maybe some of the bigger MLS teams can take notes during Wednesday night's broadcast ;).

21. NeilJLeonard

MLS is a money losing proposition. Most MLS, and some NASL, teams would love an academy, but the money simply isn't there.

I just noticed that Wednesday nights 60 Minute Sports in not on the regular network. It's on SHOtime....:(

NJL (..poop!...)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yeah double poop. :(

23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

My condolences ioana on Chelsea's loss. LOL

24. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

why, thank you kindly :p. We really missed Cech in goal and that Turnbull-Ivanovic miscommunication leading to Swansea's goal was pretty bad. As were all the wasted chances. Courtesy of the Guardian mbm "7 min: First corner of the day, with Oscar deedle-dawdling down the right. Mata swings it in, with both David Luiz and Torres wafting their hair in the general direction of it. Torres picks up play, second phase, down the left, and swings one in for Cahill, who plants the nut on the ball but sends it well over."

25. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Still no word on the future of Landon Donovan or David Beckham.

26. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I'm still thinking that Landon will be back with the Galaxy in March. He will miss the first round of qualifying however for the USMNT.

I find the rumors around Becks to be fascinating. Shanghai??? Australia??? I don't see him going to some place exotic that has no real football credibility.

27. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

28. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Awesome vids guys! Thanks for posting!!!

30. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member