For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Man U won 4-2 against Stoke City. :cheer2: But TFC drew 0-0 against Montreal. It is our 13th straight loss and now they are talking about reducing ticket prices. Things do not look good.

2. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Saturday the Tampa Bay Rowdies came back from a 2 goal away deficit to tie, then defeat the Minnesota Stars in PKs at Al Lang Field in St Petersburg to win the Div II NASL championship. From all accounts it was a fantastically exciting game to watch and a fantastic end to the NASL's season. Congrats to both teams for a job well done.

Next year the NY Cosmos join the NASL in a new split season format. Half the games in the Spring season, take July off, then the other half of the games in a Fall season. The champions from each season play a championship game at the Spring Season champions home field to determine the league champion. This is not a popular change, but the decision has been made so we'd better be prepared to live with it.

Two more teams, from Ottawa & Loudoun County, Va will join the league in 2014 with the possibility of a team from Indianapolis also joining then. We'll see how this works out.

NJL

3. NeilJLeonard

Russia 2 v 2 USA.

USA gets a goal in the 93rd minute to get a surprising away tie in their last game of 2012.

NJL

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Hey at least your boys got a much better result than Argentina did against Saudi Arabia. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

My cable box is being very spazztic so I was not ale to watch any footie matches this weekend. :wuzrobbed

6. NeilJLeonard

I'm surprised that KHenry14 hasn't announced that the MLS Championship game will be played on Dec 1st @ 430PM EST between the LA Galaxy and the Houston Dynamo at the Galaxy's home field, The Home Depot Center. This is a replay of the 2011 Championship game when the Galaxy defeated the Dynamo 1-0 at the same site.

NJL

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  7. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

LOL, got family coming in this week, been kinda busy!

However, not only are my Galaxy going to defend their title at home against the Dynamo, my son and I will be in attendence!!!

Considering how bad the Galaxy played at the beginning of the season, to now find themselves in the final is indeed an achievement.

8. NeilJLeonard

And, to add to the drama, Mr Beckham has announced it will be his last game with the Galaxy. A little added incentive for the team to Win?

NJL

9. KHenry14

It's a funny thing. Becks is evidently leaving on very good terms with the Galaxy, they wouldn't be so happy if he was going to play for the Red Bulls for example. Becks very much wants to own a MLS team, but besides the Cosmos (which he is barred from owning) there isn't a good opportunity waiting for him. So it is unclear as to what he wants to do next.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  10. NeilJLeonard

Marcelo Claure has been courting him to come to Miami for at least 2 years. He's supposed to have flown to London during the Olympics to court him. Since rumors of this have been going on forever, but, after the total disaster that Claure had bringing MLS to Miami with Barcelona in 2008/2009 any story about him doing anything has little credibility. Now, with this news, the "MLS to Miami" Brigade is wetting their pants.....;)

We'll see how this plays out. There have been strong rumors that Mr Garber has cancelled the ban on NYC to get his dream of NYC2 a reality. There are several groups that are supposed to be the one's that do the deed, including the NASL bound NY Cosmos. It would be interesting to see if that is where Beckham winds up, but, from my perspective it wold be a hoot if he does get together with Claure and gets a team to play at Miami's FIU Stadium; gridiron markings, plastic grass, and all......:D

NJL

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Guess who is at the top of the EPL? I'll give ya'all three guesses. :D

12. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Hehe, a team from Manchester and not City ;). They are still 1-2, so geordies must be happy with the standings in general. Bf and Chelsea are not playing that well lately after their brilliant start, but hopefully they can adjust to their new manager quickly -and get an actual forward since I don't think Torres should count any more.

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Not sure what possessed them to spend so much on Torres in the first place. :shuffle:

14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

:lol: One of the great mysteries of the universe...He was playing very well at Liverpool, but hasn't gotten anywhere near that level in the past few years. And, I am a little worried about Benitez going on about the rest of the team and their need to 'help him.' He's an experienced center forward for crying out loud. If he can't help himself at times, maybe the problem is on *his* end </end grumble>.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/27/rafael-benitez-fernando-torres-chelsea

15. KHenry14

On the face of it, Chelsea acquiring Torres was a smart move. His scoring record with Liverpool was superb, and there was every reason to think he'd do that well with the Blues. But for whatever reason, it hasn't happened. Frankly, i'd unload him if I could.

16. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Unloading would be the smart option, but I don't know how easy that would be. Maybe if Chelsea would be willing to buy out part of the 40 million pounds that are still left from his signing fee? Then again, if he somehow has a few good months, there might be a few teams willing to sign him for next season. He's always talked about going back to Atletico, but they would be stark raving mad (IMO) to give them Falcao, even if they get quite a bit of money in exchange for Torres.

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Scolari is back in charge of Brazil and I do not want to think about what will happen to him if they do not win the next World Cup. :lol:

18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Man U needs to do something about their defence. I mean three goals in twenty minutes?!?! :wideeyes:

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

What is this I hear about Landon Donovan and possible retirement?! :wideeyes:

20. KHenry14

He gave an interview where he spoke about the burnout he's currently feeling. That includes the Galaxy and surprisingly the USMNT too. Not many here in LA actually believe him, other to say that he may want a change of address permanently. Meaning a Jan. transfer to Everton. He's clearly shown he's the greatest player in the history of MLS, with five championships, and the holder of most of the important goal scoring records, and that means he has nothing to prove here anymore. While he's already shown he can play at Everton, playing there a full season may be just the thing to interest him. But the comments about retiring from the USMNT are troubling and a bit of a mystery.

21. KHenry14

BTW, congrats to my Back to Back MLS Cup champion LA Galaxy. Took a punch in the nose at the end of the first half, came back and scored three to take the title. I've never attended a game where the title was to be decided, not World Series, Stanley Cup, Superbowl, so this MLS Cup game was very special. And to have your team win the Cup on your own pitch made it very special.

This run is over however, as the team could lose more than Beckham. But Kaka may be coming to take Becks' spot, so that may help. :cool:

22. NeilJLeonard

Landon Donovan may leave the team and, possibly, the sport. His moving permanently to Everton or retiring completely could happen this winter. Or, maybe some extended time off will recharge his batteries & he'll return next season ready to go. Personally I'd like him to at least hang around one way or another until after WC 2014 in Brazil, certainly he'd be useful in a very challenging Hex just to get there, but the choice is his to make. We'll see.

NJL

23. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

FWIW, I'm only a casual follower, but Donovan's one of the few players I always recognize and look for on the US team -both in terms of name and playing style. I think that's always nice to see & agree it would be nice if he sticks around for a while.

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing him make it big it in Europe... :shuffle:

25. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

How did my boys lose in the CL to a team whose name I can't even pronounce. :lol:

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

UEFA is planning on spreading the 2020 Euros among several different countries all over Europe. Personally I think this is a bad idea but I guess they know what they are doing. UEFA is also considering expanding the Champions League and possibly doing away with the Europa Cup.

27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Cluj is actually one of the first clubs in Romania to field a mostly international team. Given the mess the first Romanian league currently is, this was a huge win for them and hopefully will lead to (deranged) fans thinking twice before they pull out crap like complaining about Wesley (from Brazil) being awarded top goal scorer in a Romanian league since, ya know, we can't have furriners winning that.

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

It is some comfort that Man City did not make it to the next round of the CL. Hopefully we will beat them in the derby tomorrow! :D

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Man U beat City 3-2 today!!! :cheer2: and Messi broke Gerd Mueller's 40 year old record as well today by scoring hs 86th goal. Trilled for him but wish he would score for Argentina too sometimes.

30. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

That would be assuming that he stays that long.

Because at this rate, if he doesn't win every single match in an utmost convincing manner, he'll be gone in a year.
    For CBF, coaches should arrive and produce instant results with the players that CBF wants, instead of analyzing things for a while, get the right palyers and then work towards the results.