For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. pumba

pumba New Member

Well, probably, though I don't care about politics.
    The 2 things that bother me
    1. the way it will hurt nature (and it definitely will)
    2. why not ask people before bidding for such a huge project? well, this is a rhetorical question:rolleyes:. batman and robin play their big boys' games:rollin:
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

3. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Thought Russia was great call for 2018.
    From the BRIC countries, only India will not have a huge sporting event coming up soon... Yet (hello 2024/2026 :p).

Dear, you are exactly where I was when they announced that Brazil got the 2014 WC and that my city would be one of the host cities.

I'd like to have some comfort to offer, but four years later, I'm still pretty much p*ssed off with it, as it will turn our already chaotic city even more chaotic. And the construction/remodeling aiming 2014 has just begun (why build things right away when you can procrastinate?) and I doubt it will finish on time. (and, of course, constrcuction is the least of our problems...) :violin:

Although I'm pretty sure that Russia will do better.
  4. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

You have no idea how many similar whinings were in St-Petersburg press when then-governor was building the huge, luxury and super modern New Arena (for ice-hockey Worlds), like: "we have more important needs", " social system needs that money," "we can't afford it" and of course blah-blah about nature and landscape. Luckily the construction was far from the hystorical part of the city, so whining ones couldn't play that card. Soon after the New Arena became the most frequent venue for all possible shows, pop-concerts, sport competitions, including FS Gran-Prix. I was seriously pissed when Moscow got the FS Worlds in its old fashioned rinks with dump facilities.

Don't worry. Your city will benefit a lot from the World Cup.

Congrats to Russia. A little worried about transportation since the locations are pretty far from each other. Never mind. Some matches I can skip.
  5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

here is a funny football moment thanks to the Qatari football team...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQLylizGmDs&feature=player_embedded

Yesterday's Europa League results and Palermo is out.

Dortmund 3 - 0 Karpaty
    PSG 4 - 2 Sevilla
    Utrecht 3 - 3 Napoli
    Rapid Wien 1 - 3 Porto
    Steaua 1 - 1 Liverpool
    CSKA Sofia 1 - 2 Beşiktaş
    CSKA Moskva 5 - 1 Lausanne
    Villarreal 3 - 0 Dinamo Zagreb
    Palermo 2 - 2 Sparta Praha
    Sheriff 1 - 1 AZ
    PAOK 1 - 1 Club Brugge
    BATE 1 - 4 Dynamo Kyiv
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

7. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow New Member

FIFA suck, Blatter sucks, greedy old pricks!
    Qatar is a joke!
  8. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

As bad as FIFA are, I don't think it was time for world cup to go USA, they already had it in 1994 and clearly was very soon. Japan/Korea were the really greedy once, couldn't believe they actually bid for it in the first place. The Qatar had strong backing for the bid from other middle eastern countries as well, the region never had a world cup. As Franz Beckenbauer has suggested FIFA might move the world cup to earlier in the year.

But I simple can't understand the arrogance of some countries, that suggest it is their birthright to hold the world cup and rest of the world does not exist.
  9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I still do not like the idea of the WC going to Qatar but moving the tournament to earlier in the year would solve some problems. But may just create new ones because some domestic leagues may clash with an earlier start date. However we do have 12 years to sort this stuff out. :D
  10. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

India just had the Commonwealth Games which held over 7,500 athletes and officials from around the world, but given how much of a disaster the lead up was, the problems that were held during the games and athletes coming back here (one local athlete came back with Dengue fever :wall:) and not to mention all the corruption and scandals before and after the game, I shudder to think that they host the Olympic Games anytime soon :scream:
  11. Domshabfan

I agree with you, India is not going to get Olympics for some time, realistically they will only bid for 2028 Olympics or the once after that... football india are very unlikely to bid or to get for that matter anytime for next 40 years, you need to have a passion for that game, which is lacking in India. This would allow the country to more than double its economy(india has 9%+ GDP growth at that rate it should actually be much bigger than doubling), and allow the wealth to seep into the poor. For the record Indians got world cup cricket 2011, which for them is much bigger deal than football world cup will ever be (majority of the matches in India).
  12. theshrew

theshrew New Member

Well, I simple can’t understand the arrogance of some countries that believe they deserve to host World Cups just because there’s never been one in that place before. If these countries love football that much, why don’t they bother to build elite stadiums before they bid for the World Cup?
    And FIFA’s hypocrisy is appalling. If FIFA knew that they wanted a new country to host the World Cup, why didn't they come out with that from the beginning and save several nations a lot of time and money?
    deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Chelsea seems to be in trouble and is currently in 3rd place. Arsenal is 1st with Man U 2nd and Chelsea 3rd. Chelsea have sputtered the last few games and there are rumours that Abramovich is firing a lot of behind the scenes staff. Lots of intrige so far for the EPL plus the new transfer season starts soon enough.

1. Arsenal
    2. Manchester United
    3. Chelsea
    4. Manchester City
    5. Tottenham Hotspurs
    6. Bolton Wonderers...
    12. Liverpool
  14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Liverpool fortunes continues to improve as they beat Aston Villa 3-0 today and moved up to 8th place on the EPL table. :respec:
  15. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:wall: Wow, your insight is simply astounding! Yes, oh yes, so right! It has absolutely nothing to do with the hundreds of factors working together to comprise the best possible bid for the best possible World Cup. These countries are resting on "birthright" claims, but their JIG IS UP!

Thank you thank you thank you. Death to this arrogance you've so keenly sniffed out and exposed! :D
  16. Domshabfan

Some of these problems were self created don't blame others...
    To begin with Lord Treisman saga, so they were starting with negative campaign.

On top of that, it is England that is claiming the birthright to host the cup, not Russia or Qatar. First your media created a feeling that you were the favorite and then claim that you were robbed in Zurich. They claimed that their future King, PM and Hollywood star/Football player's charm offensive was enough to win the bid, started reading too much into why Putin did not go to Zurich ?, why this makes british case stronger etc, etc. Also remember it is your(for all the Brits and certain commonwealth countries) future King(I am not an Aussie) and your PM, not for rest of the world's. If FIFA official are corrupt, they will be punished, moaning for not getting it after hyping chances of you bid. Unfortunately there is too much self love going on British media, you don't release rest of the world may not think the way you think. Now the media talk about racism in Russia, unfortunately Britain has the biggest Neo-nazi party in Europe called BNP, and on top of that new menace called English Defence League (EDL).

England talked about the fact that they are ready to host the world cup now as the positive point, Russia talked about rejuvenating parts of their country, sounds similar to want Britain talked during 2012 Olympics. Do you think London 2012 Olympics would have been awarded the games without development plans for east end of the city. That was the selling point, isn't it?

Ok, I will also remind you Newham and Stratford is not safest place in England. I am sure if that place was in some other country British media will write about the safety record of the city for next two years. (I know Newham, it is not really safe. I like England when I lived there, only thing hated was their narrow point of view on certain subjects).
  17. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Um, Domshabsfan, Beefcake is as American as apple pie! ;)

I'm not even sure that there are any Brits who follow the soccer threads on FSU. From what I can tell, the Brits here are more interested in figure skating. :shuffle:
  18. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

They paid Zidane 3mil for being their face kick and then 12 mil after the winning as a host country of 2022 WC.

All these talks about changing the time of the WC from summer into winter, is just a journalists' speculations or it's serious? Qatar originally promised to build a bunch of "closed" staduims with super air-conditioning. It will make football to be practically an indoor game, which is funny. So, now some mass media is fishing if the WC 2022 will be moved from 50 degree summer into winter time. They will have to change all national chanpionships' schedules. But they have 12 years to figure it out.

As for Russia, the win as a host country of 2018 WC can be a good push to finally cancel visa-entrance between Russian and the countries of the Shengen Area.
  19. Domshabfan

I sort of knew that but wasn't sure, but my anger was at british media. I usually like Guardian newspaper but even they seems to have fallen into that trap.
  20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I cannot believe that there are growing calls for the WC in 2022 to be moved up to January or Feburary to avoid the 100+ degree tempreture in Qatar. Why on earth did they give the tournament to that country in the first place?! The only change I want to see made is the tournament taken away if Qatar cannot keep it promises and not change the date of the WC and sooooo many domestic leagues to accommodate them.
  21. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Buzz, there's a part of me that thinks that FIFA may know that Qatar can't hack it and since that both England and the USA would need very little notice to host, FIFA has nice back stops should they feel the need.
  22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Barcelona has ended their 111 year history of not accepting commercial sponcership of their team shirts by signing a $125m deal with the Qatar foundation. Barcelona lost about $64m last season and I guess money talks everything else walks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/9276343.stm
  23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Well KHenry14 it would seem that the idea of moving the WC to January to avoid the terrible heat is gaining momentum less than a week after Qatar was given the WC. Now Michel Platini has given his support to the idea of a Winter WC. I guess that this could bring the tournament in conflict with not just the European leagues but also with the Winter Olympics seems to be bother no one. Are these crazy fools trying to ruin the WC?!

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/6...l-platini-open-to-january-world-cup-in-qatar-
  24. Domshabfan

Well, the suggestion is made by Franz Beckenbauer and later supported by Platini. Beckenbauer was the lone vote Australian bid received. I do think Qatar more than enough money (and willing to spend more than required) to air condition the entire stadium and areas of interest for the world cup. As for as they not being ready, i don't think that should a concern, since they hosted a relatively very good Doha 2006 Asiad games which required a lot of construction and brand new stadium. I think the stadiums will be ready too early.

Winter Olympics is usually held in February not January and more than enough time to cram it in if FIFA insist on having it Jan.
  25. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I still say no way man! A week ago they won on the promise that new technology they were developing was gonna make sure the heat will not be a problem. Now some are saying it is too hot in June/July and should be moved?! What happens to the different leagues, the Champions League? Not to mention the last WC qualifiying games are held earth in the year of the championship. If it is so unsafe for fans and players then move the tournment elsewhere.

Oh yeah and there was a brawl earlier in Moscow resulting in someone getting shot and killed. The shootter says it was shelf defence. Nontheless, there was a huuuuge protest in the centre of moscow by Spartak fans who were sending off flares, and chanting nationalist and racist slogans about "Russia for Russians" and "Moscow for Moscovites". The police made several arrests and there was another incident during the CL match in Slovenia. Spartak fans sent off flares and and the match had to be stopped for 20 minutes. Spartak won 2-1.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  26. Domshabfan

Well, you certainly having seen West Ham fans then... you can believe want ever you want. It is some FIFA members who are Suggesting Not Qatar and they what it in June/July, and member who did not vote with Qatar can actually claim come up their suggestion.

As for Russian case, I Will say not good.However, it is not like English Football fans don't have reputation elsewhere in Europe. Now russian fans are trying to develop same reputation. Racism exists in all western countries, just by selectively picking and choosing racist incident does not mean, problems in Western countries goes away.

Have you seen Birmingham football match riots just before FIFA vote in 2012. Latin America had to deal it its fair share of football incidents, violence between fans. German world cup the organiser were scared of racist incidents , they issued warning were not to go ... etc. Unfortunately racism exists everywhere sometimes it doesn't shows the surface sometimes it does.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

29. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I love Tevez as a player; but his off-pitch histrionics make me :duh: :wall: Is he perhaps just a tad crazy ?

On another note, did anyone watch the Tottenham-Chelsea game???? Wowy, WoW, WOW WHATAGAME!

Drogba looked a bit "sick" around the eyes, like he perhaps had suffered a relapse of malaria, but that's just my personal opinion. He just didn't look like he felt well...

Great weekend for futball-lots of good games!!!! I've got ManU and Arsenal set to record on the DVR...:kickass:
  30. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

A tad crazy?...;)

I think the PK he botched had more to do with his sick look than anything else.....:D
    Hmmmm...that's not listed on FSC. Maybe it's the EPL game listed at 5PM without any teams listed. I hope so.

NJL

ETA: ESPN2 @255PM EST = MU v Gunners in USA!
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  31. Orable

Orable New Member

I'm pretty confident that Qatar will have all their building and commercial development done by 2022. I mean, it's what they do, how they made their money to begin with: investing in real estate, making money while making their investors happy and building outrageous stuff. I definitely don't think a scenario like India being unready weeks up to the Commonwealth Games would ever be in play here. Qatar has the resources AND the will to make these Games happen. I suppose I'm not understanding the hand wringing about how Qatar "bought" these games in one breath and then wondering about whether the facilities will be built in time in the next breath.

In any case, it would SUCK to change the entire season schedule in order to accommodate a winter WC...I wonder if there's no way around it?

Also, I guess I'm not too familiar with the context - what's this about racism and the Russian bid? It's not like fans in Russia are the only unruly hooligans out there, so what does that have to do with anything?
  32. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Yes, espn2 shows some EPL games.

I'm bummed because no one in my area showed the Real Madrid vs Zaragosa match this weekend.

Second half.

Sigh. Rooney. Where did his game go???? :duh: :wall:
  33. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I'm singing in the rain
    Just singing in the rain
    What a glorious feelin'
    I'm happy again
    I'm laughing at clouds
    So dark up above
    The sun's in my heart
    and MY BOYS BEAT ARSENAL!!!! :cheer2:
  34. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

United pretty well handled the Gunners today. And Park actually scored a big goal!

Gunners beating up on the bottom on the table teams most of the year and United shows that they need to step up their game to beat the big boys.
  35. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

36. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Mazembe FTW!! :cheer2:

Suck it Internacional. :p
  37. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

WAH!!!! :wuzrobbed

On another note, Russian president has vowed to crack down on ultra-nationalist and football hooligans who attacked dark skinned minorities over the weekend. Hopefully he attempts to fight racism will include open dialogue between the different ethnic groups and not just arrests. Good on him for recognising the problem.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Euro...wn-on-racist-soccer-fans-after-Moscow-rampage
  38. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Respected Newsweek journalist Jonathan Alter alleges that Qatar paid about $10m for each FIFA vote they recieved. That is a lot of money! I do not think that most football fans have any problem with Russia as host. After all they did have a valid point when they said Western Europe had hosted 10 WCs while Eastern Europe had hosted non. Most doubters main problem is Qatar and all the lingering questions about them as hosts. With that said, while accusations of corruption involving FIFA is nothing new, I do wish that Mr. Atler wrote more than a few posts on twitter and had backed up his accusations with proof.

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/20...atar-may-have-paid-10-mil-for-each-fifa-vote/
    http://www.rslsoapbox.com/2010/12/1...st-to-buy-a-fifa-executive-committee-vote-for
  39. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Well, when the question was raised at the press conference most of the journalists started laughing which says it all really.

So it's an unsubstantiated rumour then? :confused:
  40. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

Oleg Bashilov, the leader of the Sports Committee of Moscow City hall, announced the rough prices of tickets for football matches of WC 2018: 35,000-80,000 roubles (around $1,140-$2,600). He said the prices are not high and surely cannot stop people to earn money to buy the WC-2018 tickets, and they have 8 years for that. He also added that people from all over the world want to attend the WC and the competition is 3,000 people per a ticket. He metioned that the inflation of the Russian currency is about 10% per year. The tickets are expected to be on the market from the end of 2011. (from gazetanews.ru)

Yet some people in the world believe that Russia is a cheap third-world country.

I wonder what prices Qatar will announce.