For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised if the US never bids again and I would not blame them! I am gonna need a drink... (of tea, don't drink alcohol. LOL) I am sooo disappointed! :wuzrobbed

2. Karen-W

Karen-W Well-Known Member

It'll be a looooong time before the US bids again. I suspect it will also be a looooong time again before England bids as well. I also expect that this will be the last time we see Presidents, former Presidents or Prime Ministers participate in bid presentations since the Obamas bombed out with the Chicago Olympic bid and now Clinton & Cameron bombed big time with their respective World Cup bids.

It's a shame, really, that the two best bids lost out. Only proves that, no matter what the IOC says about rooting out corruption, it's still alive and well in sports.

3. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

Acceptable time differences :cheer:

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I wonder if Israel qualifies for the 2022 World Cup is Qatar will let their team and fans in and keep them safe...

5. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

That's about it, though I really have little negative to say about Russia.

NJL (...and, the time differences aren't all that great here...:(...)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  6. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Qatar? :lol: Seriously? Australia would have been a better choice. It's hard to go to Qatar, I don't even know if drinking in public is legal and not to mention the weather is bad!

7. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I guess it will be played entirely indoors because of the intense heat in Qatar? I wonder if a special law will be created to allow foreigners to drink in public? After all, the World Cup is a huge party and who the hell wants to party without alcohol? Nuns?

8. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Ooh! Qatar! Should be lovely at that time of year! And lots of fun! I hope there are lots of scantily clad Israeli women fans there, drinking beer in the streets!

:summer: :40beers: :nopryde: :grope:

9. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Errr :huh:

10. equatorial

equatorial New Member

OMFG! Russia!!! I am so happy for my country. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Still cannot get over Qatar winning the WC. The US did finish 2nd which means it was not really snubbed so much as Qatar did a much better job of lobying/vote trading/bribing officials etc. Most of Qatar's quoted population of 1.7m, that is over 90%, is guess workers who send money home so I am not sure if they will be able to afford tickets. Public drinking is not allowed but Qatar says it will have special areas where foreigners will be allowed to drink. IN addition Qatar has only one airport and no trains only buses. The WC in that country will be a logistical nightmare. Hope I am wrong about all that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9250612.stm

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  12. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

Have you seen that Formula One Finale where in Abu Dhabi where they wanted to celebrate with wasting all that lovely champagne by showering each other with it - and then it didn't work, because there was only rose water in it? I totally loved that moment! Hah, wouldn't it be great to celebrate a sober World Cup? All the livers that will be saved, all the brian cells!

I am so happy for Russia. They are going to do a great job. It's fantastic that they are planning a stadium in Kaliningrad - that just might minimise my traveling costs if I decide to watch a game or two. It would have been really stylish to have a few games in Vladivostok though, that way both the Asian football fans and the European football fans would get a chance to attend some games.

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

:wideeyes: Now that would be something! Although it would have been neat if that city's team made it to the CL so I could send Chelsea to Siberia. hehehe It is the only way Man U could retain the EPL title this year. :slinkaway

14. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

Happy for Russia, but hard to believe that Qatar would be very tolerant for even world-class athletes health-wise and how can climate controlled outdoor stadiums be very environmentally friendly?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  15. ross_hy

ross_hy Active Member

What a disappointment for the US bid. Between this defeat, New York 2012, and Chicago 2016, when will we ever host another major international event? I guess it will be at least 2022 Olympics or 2026 World Cup.

16. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Qatar's proposed stadiums do look rather :inavoid: , I must say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcAi3GLQyOI

Maybe it will be the one way to lure Osama bin Laden out of hiding. He'll do anything to attend opening ceremonies :lol: .

17. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Sorry what is the connection between laden and Qatar, I thought he was Saudi Arabia.

And i agree with the assessment on stadiums, On the competition front they did host 2006 Asian games but that was is december i believe.

deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Orable

Orable New Member

There's no connection between bin Laden and Qatar; deltaskater probably was trying to make a joke.

Currently, foreigners are allowed to drink alcohol in hotels and resorts in Qatar. My friend who grew up there said that even Qataris and other Muslims can in fact buy and do drink alcohol in Qatar, but they cannot be in Qatari clothing (white robes for men; black abayas and other forms of hijab for women) while doing so. All a foreigner would have to do is show his/her passport and they can buy/drink alcohol. The organizers have already said that during the WC there will be designated drinking places (oases you might call them ;)) for those who want to :40beers:

While the weather is ridiculously hot there, they have outdoor air conditioners, which apparently work (never seen 'em).

As for the Israeli team, Qatari officials have already said that if Israel qualifies, the team and their fans would be welcome.

Really you guys. FIFA would not have awarded the games to Qatar if they thought Israeli players' lives would be endangered, and the heat could damage the athletes and if the audience would not have a good time. And I'm betting Qatar worked so hard on their bid to try to change peoples' perceptions of Arabs and Muslims. And while I think Qatar's money could be better spent elsewhere* (billions of dollars on building stadiums? Lordamercy), it's probably not a bad idea for the world to get a glimpse of an Arab society...and hopefully folks will realize that Arabs are pretty normal and decent and like to have a good time - just like every one else.

:soapbox:

19. pumba

pumba New Member

I am not happy at all the World Cup will be held in my city. They plan to build a stadium on an island. It is just across the Volga river in the downtown. The ecological situation will get 100 times worse. They'll ruin the island, the river will become even more durty..
    Well, maybe in Western countries they do build big stadiums, or trade centers without touching nature, but here:slinkaway I'm afraid - the main idea will be to build and to show all sort of luxury (ala Beijing Olympics) no matter what.
    The unique Sochi nature is in danger + they will build the F1 track there; so the same will be with Samara.
    I prefer to have a park or a river near my city, not a stadium. IMO this will make the nation much healthier than any of the bombastic projects.
    It's obvious that such events as Olys and FIFA Cups are more like a business not sport events.
    Why they hell they don't ask us - people who live in Sochi, Samara, Kaliningrad - do we need all this? :huh: Looks like we should be super-grateful, but I personally am not:blah:.

20. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

OMG! A Russian 'republican'!...:lol:

NJL

21. pumba

pumba New Member

Well, probably, though I don't care about politics.
    The 2 things that bother me
    1. the way it will hurt nature (and it definitely will)
    2. why not ask people before bidding for such a huge project? well, this is a rhetorical question:rolleyes:. batman and robin play their big boys' games:rollin:

22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

23. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Thought Russia was great call for 2018.
    From the BRIC countries, only India will not have a huge sporting event coming up soon... Yet (hello 2024/2026 :p).

Dear, you are exactly where I was when they announced that Brazil got the 2014 WC and that my city would be one of the host cities.

I'd like to have some comfort to offer, but four years later, I'm still pretty much p*ssed off with it, as it will turn our already chaotic city even more chaotic. And the construction/remodeling aiming 2014 has just begun (why build things right away when you can procrastinate?) and I doubt it will finish on time. (and, of course, constrcuction is the least of our problems...) :violin:

Although I'm pretty sure that Russia will do better.

24. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

You have no idea how many similar whinings were in St-Petersburg press when then-governor was building the huge, luxury and super modern New Arena (for ice-hockey Worlds), like: "we have more important needs", " social system needs that money," "we can't afford it" and of course blah-blah about nature and landscape. Luckily the construction was far from the hystorical part of the city, so whining ones couldn't play that card. Soon after the New Arena became the most frequent venue for all possible shows, pop-concerts, sport competitions, including FS Gran-Prix. I was seriously pissed when Moscow got the FS Worlds in its old fashioned rinks with dump facilities.

Don't worry. Your city will benefit a lot from the World Cup.

Congrats to Russia. A little worried about transportation since the locations are pretty far from each other. Never mind. Some matches I can skip.

25. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

here is a funny football moment thanks to the Qatari football team...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQLylizGmDs&feature=player_embedded

Yesterday's Europa League results and Palermo is out.

Dortmund 3 - 0 Karpaty
    PSG 4 - 2 Sevilla
    Utrecht 3 - 3 Napoli
    Rapid Wien 1 - 3 Porto
    Steaua 1 - 1 Liverpool
    CSKA Sofia 1 - 2 Beşiktaş
    CSKA Moskva 5 - 1 Lausanne
    Villarreal 3 - 0 Dinamo Zagreb
    Palermo 2 - 2 Sparta Praha
    Sheriff 1 - 1 AZ
    PAOK 1 - 1 Club Brugge
    BATE 1 - 4 Dynamo Kyiv

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

27. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

FIFA suck, Blatter sucks, greedy old pricks!
    Qatar is a joke!

28. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

As bad as FIFA are, I don't think it was time for world cup to go USA, they already had it in 1994 and clearly was very soon. Japan/Korea were the really greedy once, couldn't believe they actually bid for it in the first place. The Qatar had strong backing for the bid from other middle eastern countries as well, the region never had a world cup. As Franz Beckenbauer has suggested FIFA might move the world cup to earlier in the year.

But I simple can't understand the arrogance of some countries, that suggest it is their birthright to hold the world cup and rest of the world does not exist.

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I still do not like the idea of the WC going to Qatar but moving the tournament to earlier in the year would solve some problems. But may just create new ones because some domestic leagues may clash with an earlier start date. However we do have 12 years to sort this stuff out. :D

30. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

India just had the Commonwealth Games which held over 7,500 athletes and officials from around the world, but given how much of a disaster the lead up was, the problems that were held during the games and athletes coming back here (one local athlete came back with Dengue fever :wall:) and not to mention all the corruption and scandals before and after the game, I shudder to think that they host the Olympic Games anytime soon :scream: