For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

CAN 2 - USA 0 = :cheer2:

2. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Glad you liked it.

USA tied El Sal in their last group game. USA is out of the competition & will not participate in the Olys.

NJL (Huge surprise, considering the run up to this comp. Evidently, changing a teams style & attitude comes at a price. This does not bode well for the USA in this summers WC2014 CONCACAF qualifying. The U23s missing the Olys is one thing....the USMNT missing the World Cup is something else entirely.)

3. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

There are no words Neil...other than EPIC FAIL.

This team was definately outcoached on a number of levels. Caleb Porter's time with this team is going to be frightfully short, as there is no way this team can go forward with him at the helm. In particular the back line was horrendous. The only good things was the return to form of Freddy Adu, and the emergence of Terrence Boyd and Joe Corona. Other than that...EPIC FAIL. :mad::mad:

4. NeilJLeonard

Yep. Gonna have to wear red and fake the words to Oh Canada for awhile. It'll be easy in one way, but tough in another way...:(

NJL (watched the Canada U23s play the Ft Lauderdale Strikers about a week ago. They were not impressive, losing to a Div II NASL side that was still trying to sort things out in preseason. Still, all things considered, good luck to them for the rest of the tournament.....EPIC FAIL, indeed...:eek: ...)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  5. KHenry14

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Man U is in the lead in the EPL, so some good news for fans. :cheer:

7. NeilJLeonard

Fans of Manu U, yes. Fans of Man City, not so much...;)

The NASL started it's season Saturday. The only 2 important games had the Tampa Bay Rowdies losing in Puerto Rico 1-0 and the Ft Lauderdale Strikers winning their home opener 1-0 over FC Edmonton on a 2nd half gem by Andy Herron. The Strikers lost rookie forward Aly Hassan, playing in his 1st pro game, to a red card in the 30th minute and still played well enough to win.

Next week FC Edmonton is in Tampa Bay to defeat the Rowdies and the Strikers are at home to play last years champion Minnesota Stars. If they play with the same intensity as they did last week an 11 man Striker squad should win. We'll see.

NJL

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

9. NeilJLeonard

Wigan 1 v 0 Man U....:wideeyes:

NJ (..no more need be said....'cept Man U now has a 5 point lead with an away game at Man City coming up shortly..;)...)

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I was hoping no one would have noticed that.... :(

11. NeilJLeonard

An upset like that is always the lead story, Buzz....:D

NJL (...:cool:...)

12. Lynn226

Lynn226 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that I went to the Real Madrid vs Málaga game back in March in Madrid. My seat was in the second highest row from the top of the stadium. They call this part of the stadium vomitorio.:lol: No kidding. I should have taken a picture of the sign.

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

14. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

RIP, Piermario.:( What a tragedy and apparently his mother, father and brother all died when he was he was a teen at separate times and now he leaves behind a disabled sister.:(

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

My heart and prayers go out to her and her family. He was WAAAAAAY to young to die.

16. NeilJLeonard

I 2nd this. Any young 'un in his 20's is way to young to go. Especially one with responsibilities. Infinitely tragic.

NJL

17. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

Barcelona - Chelsea

Exciting first 10 minutes.

Huh. 1-0 for Chelsea after the first half of the first leg. Who would have thought.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  18. KHenry14

Brilliant defending by Chelsea. Back 8 moved as a unit....and then got a bit lucky at the end. ;)

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Even I did not expect that result. Still testing over it.

20. NeilJLeonard

A BIT lucky? Outrageously lucky is what you mean. Plus, they seemed to catch Barca on an off day. For all of that, they earned the 1-0 win. My hat's off to Chelsea for their play in that game. Now all they have to do is repeat this performance at Camp Nou....:biggrinbo

NJL

21. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

so booked my hubby's tickets to Boston for Liverpool FC their tour of NA this summer.. it actually falls on our anniversary - 26 years.. never missed a one but I'll accept it for footie ;) Now found out that they are also playing in Toronto so I will actually go to that game :cool:

22. Gil-Galad

My favourite team, BVB 09, became the German Champion for the second time in a row yesterday! :kickass: Never thought they'd defend their title...

23. NeilJLeonard

Now, since Barca lost "El Clasico" to Real Madrid 2-1, thus probably sealing Real winning the league title, Chelsea has to play at Nou Camp against a Barca team that has lost 2 straight games that everyone thought they'd win. They may have to do it without Didier Drogba playing because of an injury. A tall order to win with him. Probably impossible without him.

The EPL Championship will go to the City of Manchester. But, since Man U was tied 4-4 by Everton Sunday & Man City won 2-0 to close to 3 points behind Man U, and, they play at Man U's home field Saturday, it could be either team. If Man U wins I can't see them not winning their last 2. The same for Man City.

It is getting interesting in Europe...:)

NJL

24. Gil-Galad

Chelsea through to the final :respec::respec::respec:

And what a :rofl: game.

John Terry is an idiot.

So happy for Chelsea though.

25. KHenry14

Today proved this over and over again. But I guess he's bulletproof to the Blues, as seemingly no matter how much he screws up on and off the pitch, he's their guy. :rolleyes:

Barca should be embarrassed that they had no answer for the Chelsea bunker.

And kudos to Torres for saving his otherwise horrendous season with a clutch breakaway goal as you'd ever see.

26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

This cannot be happening! :wideeyes:

27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I had to :lol: when the first reaction from Sky commentators was 'he's just paid off his 50 million signing fee.'

And I loved the guardian's live blog comments on John Terry claiming his foul was unintentional.
    "John Terry is claiming he didn't deliberately knee Sanchez in the back. Oh John. Yes you did. They have these things called cameras, you see."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/24/barcelona-chelsea-champions-league-live-mbm

Now, how do I get out of our all-important work meeting later on today to watch Real's game? :shuffle:

28. NeilJLeonard

Well said on all of the above. Each of Terry's team mates should give him a swift kick in his gluteus maximus for one of the most profound brain farts in the history of the sport.

I'm not a Chelsea fan, but I gave them a standing O at the final whistle. One of the most memorable games ever.

Barca's plan B was to keep trying plan A over and over and over. It was actually working, up to a point, but they just could not finish when it was needed in either game, especially Messi. They looked befuddled and emotionally drained during the 2nd half with no idea why the magic was no longer working.

That's what Messi, Guardiola, Iniesta, the 90,000+ fans in Nou Camp, et al were thinking from Chelsea's stunning 1st half added time goal to the final whistle.

I dearly love Barca's version of "the Beautiful Game". When it is working, it can be breathtaking. When it isn't, and you have no other way to approach the game, it is frustrating to the point of weeping. As Chelsea and Real have proved in the last week, there is more than 1 way to play the game to win a match. Or a 2 game series.

Barca also had some chances and simply couldn't do anything with them. Chelsea scored on the only 2 chances they had during the game - and, yes, I was delighted for Mr Torres getting the finisher - his season has been a horror. That might take a bit of the sting out of it.

Chelsea earned it & Barca didn't.

NJL

29. Gil-Galad

I adore the guardian's live blog. They have a great sense of humour.

-----

I don't want a penalty shootout here...

-----

Bayern through. And while it was a surprisingly shaky penalty shootout for German standards - I still ask myself why a team like Madrid risks a penalty shootout against a German team. If there is one thing we are good at in football, it's penalty shootouts.

Also, Kroos and Lahm will get their citizenship revoked for those two awful penalties. We have a European Championship to play this summer, they can't miss penalties. (Actually, Lahm's wasn't really bad, Casillas was just brilliant on that one)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Congrats to Bayern and bummer for Real. Still getting over my darling Barca's early trip home. :(