For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

A small futbol team from Israel named Kiryat Shmona from a town of 23,000 is on top of Israel's premier league and looks like they may be qualifying for the Champions League. The town fans are of course over the moon and a bit of good news for a town that is otherwise in the economic doldrums. There is a nice article about the team in the NYTimes.

2. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

USA 3 v 0 Costa Rica. USA goes to the Olympics. Canada plays Mexico next to determine the other CONCACAF Olympic participant , the last team to qualify, BTW, & who'll play the USA in the Championship game.

NJL

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Canada's women's team won 3-1 and are going to the Olympics. Meanwhile Man U and Liverpool are playing in the FA Cup final and are 1-1 currently and the game is still ongoing.

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Man U lost 1-2 to Liverpool. :wuzrobbed

5. NeilJLeonard

USA 4 v 0 Canada

USA wins the CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying Tournament with a 5-0 record and a 38-0 goal differential...:wideeyes:...I've watched the USWNT since the late 1980s & I've never seen them as dominating as they were during this tournament. Even good to very good teams like Costa Rica, Mexico & Canada were totally outclassed in every phase of the game. We'll see if they continue this form through some friendlies in February, the Algarve Cup in Portugal, then into the Olympics. If they do, they'll be favorites for another Gold Medal in London.

This is the exact opposite of their play before the WWC last year. An amazing reversal in so short a time. Maybe it's an illusion brought on by a very emotional loss then. Or, maybe it's the change that Pia's been trying to implement in the last few years. We'll see shortly....:)

NJL

6. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

NJL, I have to agree, this team is in top form like I haven't seen since the summer of '99. Not only is the skill level as good as the '99 team, it's also very deep. Pia has multiple options in formations and talent to take on the Germans, Brazilians, Swedes and Japanese and beat them.

Alex Morgan is the true next superstar of US Womens soccer...she is very reminiscent of Mia Hamm, in that she's got the combination of quickness, speed and killer instinct that Mia displayed. And that makes her the perfect striker options to play off the best target forward in the world in Abby Wambach. And yet, Alex doesn't consistantly start for Pia, because Amy Rodriguez has found her game. These three strikers make the USWNT extremely dangerous.

They are also really deep at midfield, which gives Pia a lot more options. Yesterday Pia sat Heather O'Reilly on the right wing, playing Rodriguez out there and it worked beautifully. But Heather has been excellent out there, so it's tough to sit her. Same with Megan Rapinoe on the left. And Carly Lloyd has been scoring in bunches from the middle.

I'm a little concerned about the backline, as Rampone isn't as spry as she used to be, but she's such a savvy leader out there that it makes up for the decline in athleticism. And that concern flies in the face of the fact that the gave up ZERO goals in the tournament. But Canada had a couple of good chances yesterday that they just didn't finish that may indicate a lack of speed in the back line. That happens against Brazil or one of the other good teams, and the USA might find themselves in some trouble.

But even if that happens, they have the best keeper in the world to back them up. Hope Solo is the real deal, fearless, and smart. My onlyconcern is that she stay healthly.

What sticks with me is the comparison of this team to last year. The USWNT almost didn't qualify for the WC because a lot of poor play. Yet with pretty much the same group of players, this team has raised it's game a LOT! My best guess is the disaster of the WWC finals is really motivating these women. And that is reflective in their play.

The onus is now on Pia to keep this level of play up. And to keep Hope Solo healthy!

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Bugger boo.... You mean we don't get to go after all? That sucks. LOL Anyway congrats to the US women's team. Job well done.

8. NeilJLeonard

Yes, Canada is going to the Olys, too. The winner of the 2 SEMI finals go to the Olys.

Yesterdays final was for bragging rights in CONCACAF. After the 3rd place finish and further qualification games after the WWC qualifiers the USA felt they had something to prove. They proved it...:D

NJL (...for the USA and Canada it was job well done with the wins in Friday semifinals....but, if you ask both teams, Sunday's final was at least as important..maybe even more important...but, in a much different way...;)...)

9. NeilJLeonard

WPS will suspend the 2012 league season because of ongoing problems & litigation with magicJack team owner Dan Borislow. They hope to resume play in 2013 with 6 teams in the league and continue in 2014 with an 8 team league.

English translation: After 3 years Women's Professional Soccer League has folded. This matches the same result as the prior WUSA.

NJL (...not a good day for the sport in North America...:(...)

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Ok now I am totally convinced that I should stay away from commenting on ladies futbol. :lol:

11. KHenry14

That's a shame about the WPS. But much like the WUSA, I think they had problems with upper management that made a lot of bad decisions, and it cost them. Maybe a gold medal might help restart the league?????

12. NeilJLeonard

Upper management for one. MagicDan for another. IMO, the most difficult thing to overcome was starting up just as the economy went into the tank. No money to support the league was available. Much like anything under MLS, and most of MLS, a soccer team is a money eater. The $$$ simply was not available for it to succeed.

NJL (...better luck next time....in 10 years or so...if ever...)

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Man U has regained the top spot in the EPL. :cheer2:

14. KHenry14

NJL, 60 Minutes or Bryant Gumbel needs to do a big story on Borislow and the WPS. This is a disgraceful issue that hasn't gotten the press it deserves. Just check out Ella Masur's blog to get an idea of how bad it was: http://blog.ellamasar.com/ Borislow wanted the players to call him "Daddy"??? And Borislow wouldn't take care of an injured player??? And unfortunately, Abby Wambach doesn't come off very well. Disgraceful, shameful are the words that come to mind. Oh and appalling too.

15. NeilJLeonard

There's a big thread, and growing, about this on BS in the WPS forum. I actually came here to link to that thread.

It is explosive. Not only Abby, but all of the USWNT players on magicJack seemed to have been involved is some way or another. I'd love to hear their side of the story,too. BTW, we had the feeling down here that some silly shit was going on w/magicJack. Sadly, it looks like what we thought was only a small fraction of the reality...:(

Do expect Dan & his hired guns to sweep it under the rug as "whining from a disgruntled employee". The man seems to be that kind of SOB.

Ella seems to be very happy playing for PSG...:)

NJL

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Violence broke out after a football match in the Egyptian city of Port Said and left about 73 people dead. WHile in Cairo a fire broke out in a stadium when another match was abandoned but no one was reported as injured or killed. Sad day for Egypt and football.

17. KHenry14

Whoa, some game today Chelsea v. Man U

Blues jump out to a 3-nil lead, then give up two PK's (both deserved) and a wicked header to Hernandez and we have a 3-3 draw. BTW, Mata's volley goal was sick skill. 99 out of 100 times that shot goes WAY over the goal, yet he was able to keep it on frame...and almost took De Gea's head off in the process!

18. NeilJLeonard

The local Fox outlet did NOT carry it live - church service instead. Had to wait until 7PM when FSC broadcast it - right in the middle of the super bowl! Clicked back & forth between them..:D.. Worth it. Both good games, but Man U coming from 3 back on the road is incredible...:wideeyes: The Giants beating the Patriots is merely sweet...;)

NJL

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Nice game but too much left too late I am not liking all tussling at the top. We should be way out front and safe by now. LOL. BTW. And Liverpool has a new four legged recruit. hehehe

20. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Capello quits as England Manager:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16941457

He was vocally critical of the English FA striping John Terry of the England captaincy in an interview he gave to an Italian news program. The FA did it as Terry is due to stand trial for allegedly making racial comments to Anton Ferdinand during a match in July - after the European Championships. The FA weren't happy about Capello's comments and after a meeting this evening Capello resigned!!

Personally I think the FA were wrong to strip Terry as one is supposedly innocent until proven guilty and I don't believe they spoke to Capello prior to making their decision or if they did they disregarded it. As Capello made Terry captain the FA were basically saying they didn't respect his judgement.

What a mess with a major championship coming up in 6 months and most of the major contendors who would have been approached after the European Championships when Capello was leaving anyway will be embroiled in their teams commitments for the season.

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Quite the uproar has erupted because of Louis Suarez refusing to shake hands with Patrice Evra. The whole match kinda of went downhill from here. Man U did win however so that is something.

22. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Suarez is a disgrace to football. :rolleyes: :mad:

23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Zambia on winning the African Nations Cup tilte. They beat Ivery Coast 8-7 in a penalty shoot out. Needless to say the Elephants fans are crushed but the Zambian fans are over the moon.

24. NeilJLeonard

Every now and then someone does it right. I'm not a fan of bowing to Europe by naming a US team REAL Salt Lake, but this chant for the team is one of the best I've heard. BTW, the "riot" is their home field, Rio Tinto Stadium. I love that nickname, too. This chant must sound great if all the fans there are doing it.

theoriginalwinger.com/2012-02-13-believe-real-salt-lake

Simple. Catchy. Memorable. Outstanding.

NJL (..now we just need one for the Strikers...;)...)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  25. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Arsenal lost heavily (0-4) to AC Milan today and although I am not a big Arsenal fan, I was hoping for a win from them as one of the last EPL teams left in he CL. :(. Meanwhile Benfica lost to Zenit 3-2. Not a good day for my picks it would seem.

26. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

:( boo.. hiss.... ;) I need Liverpool to win Carling cup - if not there won't be a tour and someone in my house will be very sad as won't get to see them in Boston :(

27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

(((((((4rKids))))))). :lol:

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Both Man U and Man City won their fixtures in the Europa League! :cheer2:

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Arsenal's bad season just got even worse. They are out of the FA Cup and I would not want to be in Wenger's shoes right now for nothing.

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Man U lost to Ajax 2-1 today but still make it to the last 16. Would have been embarrassing to say the least if they had failed to advance.