For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

YIKES! Man U lost 4-0 to West Ham! :yikes:
  2. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Methinks United didn't take this match too seriously...The Hammers are in last place on the table and it wasn't a league match either. But US Men's National team member Jonathan Spector's move to midfield evidently paid off with the two goals he scored. Good for him. :cool:
  3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Well the presentations for the 2022 WC is finished and me thinks the US still has a great chance. As for 2018 with Russia all but throwing in the towel, the English looks like a lock for that competition especially with the debt faced by Spain and Portugal. We will all have to wait until tomorrow to find out what happens.
  4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Italian giants Juventus have failed to secure a spot in the next round of the Europa League! :eek: Meanwhile Manchester City beat Salzburg 3-0 and the other matches will be tomorrow. And of course there are the free highlight videos on UEFA's website. :)

Hajduk Split 1 - 3 AEK
    Young Boys 4 - 2 Stuttgart
    OB 1 - 1 Getafe
    Sampdoria 1 - 2 PSV
    Metalist 2 - 1 Debrecen
    Zenit 3 - 1 Anderlecht
    Lech 1 - 1 Juventus
    Atlético 2 - 3 Aris
    Rosenborg 0 - 1 Leverkusen
    Gent 1 - 0 Levski
    Man. City 3 - 0 Salzburg
    Sporting 1 - 0 Lille
  5. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Both Russia and England have been in competition for who will score most self goals before the world cup announcement. England seems to leading in this one at least with latest scored another at Birmingham

Birmingham riots could ruin England World Cup 2018 bid .

More i see this more i feel Netherland and Belgium should get the world cup.

Names of FiFa executive members who will selected 2018 and 2022 world
    Name Nationality
    President :
    Joseph S. Blatter Switzerland
    Senior Vice-President:
    Julio Grondona Argentina
    Vice-Presidents
    Issa Hayatou Cameroon
    Chung Mong Joon South Korea
    Jack Warner Trinidad and Tobago
    Ángel María Villar Spain
    Michel Platini France
    Reynald Temarii Tahiti
    Geoff Thompson England
    Members
    Michel D'Hooghe Belgium
    Ricardo Terra Teixeira Brazil
    Mohammed Bin Hammam Qatar
    Senes Erzik Turkey
    Chuck Blazer United States of America
    Nicolas Leoz Paraguay
    Worawi Makudi Thailand
    Junji Ogura Japan
    Amos Adamu Nigeria
    Marios Lefkaritis Cyprus
    Jacques Anouma Ivory Coast
    Franz Beckenbauer Germany
    Rafael Salguero Guatemala
    Hany Abo Rida Egypt
    Vitaly Mutko Russia
    General Secretary
    Jerome Valcke France

All countries are equal, but some countries are more equal than others. France has 2 votes through Platini and Valcke.

P.S. The once is red are suspended.
  6. Domshabfan

Dutch presentation was slightly boring ...their presentation looked more like watching an archive movie.
  7. Ituriel

Ituriel Member

I'm so curious to know the bid results...

are 7 minutes late
  8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

According to the BBC it should be between Spain/Portugal and England right now but no word on 2022! :(
  9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

USA! USA! USA! :cheer2:
  10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Here we go at last.........
  11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Rumour has it according to the BBC England did not make it which surprises me a LOT! :eek:
  12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

And the winners are:

2018 - RUSSIA!!!!
  13. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

To repeat:

2018 to Russia. A surprise.

NJL...;)
  14. Domshabfan

And russia gets it...
  15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Let the 2022 go to the USA please...
  16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

2022 - QATAR!!!! WHAT THE HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
  17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Now I am speachless. HOW THE HELL COULD THEY SEND THE WORLD CUP TO SUCH A TINY DEVOUT MUSLIM NATION?! Their team is about 200th in the world?! I thought I would be AUstralia if not the USA. VERY disappointing. NOt to mention it is as hot as 50+ in summer there.
  18. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

19. NeilJLeonard

Exactly. A farce.

NJL

ETA: See below (post #60) to understand why. Wait until 2023 when the stadiums are being rebuilt to see who voted for Qatar.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  20. Domshabfan

BBC gave the answer to why they got it... they will built 9 stadiums for world cup after the world cup they will demolish it and build new stadium in developing countries with those pieces.
  21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised if the US never bids again and I would not blame them! I am gonna need a drink... (of tea, don't drink alcohol. LOL) I am sooo disappointed! :wuzrobbed
  22. Karen-W

Karen-W Well-Known Member

It'll be a looooong time before the US bids again. I suspect it will also be a looooong time again before England bids as well. I also expect that this will be the last time we see Presidents, former Presidents or Prime Ministers participate in bid presentations since the Obamas bombed out with the Chicago Olympic bid and now Clinton & Cameron bombed big time with their respective World Cup bids.

It's a shame, really, that the two best bids lost out. Only proves that, no matter what the IOC says about rooting out corruption, it's still alive and well in sports.
  23. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow New Member

Acceptable time differences :cheer:
  24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I wonder if Israel qualifies for the 2022 World Cup is Qatar will let their team and fans in and keep them safe...
  25. NeilJLeonard

That's about it, though I really have little negative to say about Russia.

NJL (...and, the time differences aren't all that great here...:(...)
  26. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Qatar? :lol: Seriously? Australia would have been a better choice. It's hard to go to Qatar, I don't even know if drinking in public is legal and not to mention the weather is bad!
  27. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I guess it will be played entirely indoors because of the intense heat in Qatar? I wonder if a special law will be created to allow foreigners to drink in public? After all, the World Cup is a huge party and who the hell wants to party without alcohol? Nuns?
  28. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Ooh! Qatar! Should be lovely at that time of year! And lots of fun! I hope there are lots of scantily clad Israeli women fans there, drinking beer in the streets!

:summer: :40beers: :nopryde: :grope:
  29. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Errr :huh:
  30. equatorial

equatorial New Member

OMFG! Russia!!! I am so happy for my country. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
  31. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Still cannot get over Qatar winning the WC. The US did finish 2nd which means it was not really snubbed so much as Qatar did a much better job of lobying/vote trading/bribing officials etc. Most of Qatar's quoted population of 1.7m, that is over 90%, is guess workers who send money home so I am not sure if they will be able to afford tickets. Public drinking is not allowed but Qatar says it will have special areas where foreigners will be allowed to drink. IN addition Qatar has only one airport and no trains only buses. The WC in that country will be a logistical nightmare. Hope I am wrong about all that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9250612.stm
  32. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

Have you seen that Formula One Finale where in Abu Dhabi where they wanted to celebrate with wasting all that lovely champagne by showering each other with it - and then it didn't work, because there was only rose water in it? I totally loved that moment! Hah, wouldn't it be great to celebrate a sober World Cup? All the livers that will be saved, all the brian cells!

I am so happy for Russia. They are going to do a great job. It's fantastic that they are planning a stadium in Kaliningrad - that just might minimise my traveling costs if I decide to watch a game or two. It would have been really stylish to have a few games in Vladivostok though, that way both the Asian football fans and the European football fans would get a chance to attend some games.
  33. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

:wideeyes: Now that would be something! Although it would have been neat if that city's team made it to the CL so I could send Chelsea to Siberia. hehehe It is the only way Man U could retain the EPL title this year. :slinkaway
  34. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

Happy for Russia, but hard to believe that Qatar would be very tolerant for even world-class athletes health-wise and how can climate controlled outdoor stadiums be very environmentally friendly?
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  35. ross_hy

ross_hy Active Member

What a disappointment for the US bid. Between this defeat, New York 2012, and Chicago 2016, when will we ever host another major international event? I guess it will be at least 2022 Olympics or 2026 World Cup.
  36. deltask8er

deltask8er New Member

Qatar's proposed stadiums do look rather :inavoid: , I must say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcAi3GLQyOI

Maybe it will be the one way to lure Osama bin Laden out of hiding. He'll do anything to attend opening ceremonies :lol: .
  37. Domshabfan

Sorry what is the connection between laden and Qatar, I thought he was Saudi Arabia.

And i agree with the assessment on stadiums, On the competition front they did host 2006 Asian games but that was is december i believe.
    deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  38. Orable

Orable New Member

There's no connection between bin Laden and Qatar; deltaskater probably was trying to make a joke.

Currently, foreigners are allowed to drink alcohol in hotels and resorts in Qatar. My friend who grew up there said that even Qataris and other Muslims can in fact buy and do drink alcohol in Qatar, but they cannot be in Qatari clothing (white robes for men; black abayas and other forms of hijab for women) while doing so. All a foreigner would have to do is show his/her passport and they can buy/drink alcohol. The organizers have already said that during the WC there will be designated drinking places (oases you might call them ;)) for those who want to :40beers:

While the weather is ridiculously hot there, they have outdoor air conditioners, which apparently work (never seen 'em).

As for the Israeli team, Qatari officials have already said that if Israel qualifies, the team and their fans would be welcome.

Really you guys. FIFA would not have awarded the games to Qatar if they thought Israeli players' lives would be endangered, and the heat could damage the athletes and if the audience would not have a good time. And I'm betting Qatar worked so hard on their bid to try to change peoples' perceptions of Arabs and Muslims. And while I think Qatar's money could be better spent elsewhere* (billions of dollars on building stadiums? Lordamercy), it's probably not a bad idea for the world to get a glimpse of an Arab society...and hopefully folks will realize that Arabs are pretty normal and decent and like to have a good time - just like every one else.

:soapbox:
  39. pumba

pumba New Member

I am not happy at all the World Cup will be held in my city. They plan to build a stadium on an island. It is just across the Volga river in the downtown. The ecological situation will get 100 times worse. They'll ruin the island, the river will become even more durty..
    Well, maybe in Western countries they do build big stadiums, or trade centers without touching nature, but here:slinkaway I'm afraid - the main idea will be to build and to show all sort of luxury (ala Beijing Olympics) no matter what.
    The unique Sochi nature is in danger + they will build the F1 track there; so the same will be with Samara.
    I prefer to have a park or a river near my city, not a stadium. IMO this will make the nation much healthier than any of the bombastic projects.
    It's obvious that such events as Olys and FIFA Cups are more like a business not sport events.
    Why they hell they don't ask us - people who live in Sochi, Samara, Kaliningrad - do we need all this? :huh: Looks like we should be super-grateful, but I personally am not:blah:.
  40. NeilJLeonard

OMG! A Russian 'republican'!...:lol:

NJL