For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

ABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And so fiting that it was just after the commentator said that this was the US Women's worst WWC performance. I'm not going to be able to watch the PK's but I've got the DVR going. Regardless of what happens here, WHAT A GAME. I was ready to write the US off after the loss to Sweden, but they've really stepped up here today.

2. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

YEAAAH!! That was so well deserved.

I freaking love football... Isn't it an amazing game?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
    FSfan107 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Awesome game! Way to go US women!:cheer2:

4. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Final score officially is USA 2 v 2 Brazil, but, the USA won 5-3 on PKs. Incredible!!!...:eek::eek::eek:

They played from the 65th minute on down 1 player because of a red card, gave up an early goal (92nd minute) in ET and waited until the 122nd minute to score the tying goal to force PKs and the eventual victory. ESPN2 has a replay at midnight. Since I missed all of the game until the last 10 minutes of ET I am staying up late for that.

NJL (...since I thought, and have posted. that the USA would lose to Brazil, the taste of crow is sweet, very sweet...:biggrinbo...Maybe, just maybe, these women can pull this thing off and win it all.....maybe...;)....next is France on Wednesday....the 2 teams that won on PKs meet.....we'll see...:)...)

5. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

An AMAZING game overall! So proud of the U.S. women for never giving up, even when they were down one player and one goal. Hope Solo is a brilliant goalkeeper! And how nice for Krieger to get the winning PK in Germany! I so hope the U.S. wins the title so Abby Wambach can finally experience that! :)

Gil-Galad, I totally agree with you about the ref being in over her head. She made some terrible calls today.

6. OlieRow

Finally caught the shootout. Fabulous win for the US. Abby is so clutch and Hope is just bad ass. What a heroic effort stopping 2 PK's in a game... incredible! Watching Rachel Buehler celebrate in tears afterwards was priceless. I can't imagine what was going through her mind watching back in the locker room. What an EPIC comeback after all the challenges in this game.

I also have to admit I didn't expect the US to win this game and when they went down a player tied 1-1, I figured that'd be too much to overcome. They just hadn't been playing well consistently and Sweden exposed some glaring weaknesses. I honestly didn't think they were a good enough team to win the WWC, but after this? I BELIEVE!! 55 minutes of playing a man down against Brazil and you manage to play them even?! They stayed composed, strung together passes, and fought to the bitter end. So glad they proved me wrong!

7. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Just got back from the ER after going into cardiac arrest after that game!!! ;)

Just a stirring, bizarre, incredible game. Marta was brilliant at times, and an incredibly whiny baby at other times. Her diving, her chippy play and most of all the incessant complaining just wrecked her reputation. One wonders how she will be treated in the WPS when the games resume.

After all the stories about Abby slumping, it's just great to see her come through like she did. Truly a heartstopping performance, and much respect and congratulations go to the USWNT. Just an awesome performance against great odds (i'm looking at you Ms. Aussie ref).

8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

FALCAO!!! :cheer:

9. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

That game was both the reason why I :blah: do not "get" soccer "and" a huge reason why I should be into it.

I'd be right there with mostly German crowd in booing Marta. Her gamesmanship, put-upon body language, and whining was unbearable, and her flopping around was world class OTT. Adding fuel to that is that neither of her goals were should have happened.

The PK do-over and ghost penalty yellow card on Hope that allowed Marta to kick the first Brazil goal was obscenely bad. But without it, the ending could not have happened, and this legend of a finish could not have happened. Thank you, Aussie referee, for being so inept!

:rolleyes: The scenery chewing acting was OTT, especially at the end as Brazil attempted to milk the clock. Penalties for such bullsh*t should be higher. It generally makes me leave the room. Or maybe there was a huge penalty this game, though unofficially. Did Marta or a teammate perhaps flop :drama: one-too-many times, and cause another 30 seconds to be added to extra time ... maybe without that Abby's goal couldn't have happened?

Scintillating ending!

FSfan107 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. NeilJLeonard

Excellent analysis from someone not into the sport..;) You touched on all aspects of what made this game so incredibly compelling. You forgot that Maurine was offside on Marta's 2nd goal, that the US should have had another red card on a deliberate hand ball on Carly LLoyd and that Brazil made the unforgivable error/sin of allowing the USA to break out of their end by passing the ball to set up Abby's game winner. You did point out the added time at the end that allowed the goal. At least the ref got that right for all the pure gamesmanship involved with the multitude of Brazilian "injuries".

Overall, this was one of the most fantastic advertisements for the sport imaginable. I only hope the USA has enough in the tank to win the next 2. Emotionally they must be drained.

NJL (..stayed up until 3AM to watch the replay on ESPN2.....it was exciting to watch even when I knew the outcome...:D...)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  11. NeilJLeonard

USA 3 v 1 France. The USA is in the final.

France looked to be a far better team than we are, but gave up 2 late goals to give us the win. Excellent game by the USA just to hang in there for the 1st 30 minutes of the 2nd half while France was incredibly dominant. They then gave up a corner to the US that Abby could get to and for all practical purposes the game was over. Alex Morgan scored an insurance goal for the USA with less than 10 minutes left to seal the deal.

NJL

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:cheer2: Now, I'll want to stay home and watch the final.

13. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

The USA really won this on their better defense and goalkeeper (sister and I have been thoroughly impressed by Solo). Rapinoe really gives the team so much energy - the entire team changes when she's in. Her and Wambash are dangerous together.

Gotta give France credit - they are a really impressive young team. Love their aggressive style, hope they can develop further.

14. KHenry14

This American team shows a LOT of heart and charactor to take a punch like they did and to then to come back with two goals. Wambach is taking this team on her back and bringing them along to the finals. A great leader onthe pitch by scoring goals and in her preparation. A Great Player to be sure.

15. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Rapinoe is lightening-in-a-bottle, isn't she? From the moment Morgan and she subbed in, Team USA's demeanor changed to positive, and its attack went into overdrive. Congrats to them, and to France for its run here in Germany. :respec:

Japan is now up 3-1 over Sweden, who have ONE (just one) shot thru 65 minutes. :wideeyes: They made that one SOG count, but still ... wow.

Ha, look at my vBet!

16. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Japan! :respec:

Lurve their team play.

17. NeilJLeonard

Final is Japan 3 v 1 Sweden....:eek:

For some reason USA v Japan - who've never beaten the USA, 22-0-3 USA record all time, including 3-0 this year - scares me. This is a team that can confuse us by holding the ball, then sneak in a goal to take the Cup. OTOH, I don't expect bone headed play by Hope Solo like Sweden's keeper committed....:)

It is going to be a very interesting final. No guarantees either way.

NJL

18. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

Before the quarter final Germany never lost a game to Japan either...

They play really good football, I enjoy watching them.

19. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Nadeshiko Japan! :cheer2:

20. NeilJLeonard

Exactly. That's why this game scares me. What a lovely time to break the string.

NJL

21. OlieRow

Wasn't always pretty as France definitely outplayed the US for a chunk of time in the 2nd half, but props to the ladies for not backing down. It was great to see Morgan get a goal, she's been knocking on the door and doing well off the bench. I know Solo and Wambach are the brightest stars of the cup (and deservingly so!) but Rapinoe is really one of the big keys to the US run. The team just changes when she's in and they seem to have a new energy. The tide definitely turned yesterday when she and Morgan came in.

I'll be at work for the final, but I'm hoping the US can win it all. I understand the nervousness about Japan though, they're playing very well right now.

Abby's goal vs. Brazil won an ESPY for Best Play (voted on by the fans). I love that the team is starting to get more coverage here in the US. Sportscenter had a fairly long segment with more to come later.

22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

There is something called the World Football Challenge going on right now in the states and I had the pleasure and seeing Man U playing New England. Tomorrow Barca will play LA. Should be good!.

23. NeilJLeonard

Sweden 2 v 1 France.

Pretty good game overall. The most interesting thing is that Sweden got the winning goal after they picked up a red card and had to play with 10. Twice in this tournament the shorthanded team won the game after being reduced to 10.

NJL

24. chipso1

Bompastour (sp?) should win an Academy Award of some sort; her acting was top notch tonight. ;)

Congrats Sweden!! :cheer2:

25. OlieRow

26. KHenry14

27. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Really, REALLY good match betwixt USA & Japan! :watch:

28. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:respec: Whoa, glorious goal by Morgan. But once again it was Rapinoe who created the opportunity.

If the USA holds on, she is the MVP of WC 2011 (in my neophyte opinion).

"betwixt", Fergus? So ... you're down at the pub right now having a pint? (and it's 1922?) :p

29. chipso1

LOVE Alex Morgan. :swoon:

30. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

;) Up 2-1 with ~9 minutes left ... but no falling, flopping, :drama:, or appearances by stretchers so far for the USA.

Did Marta & Co. teach them nothing? :slinkaway