For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

USA 0 v 2 Sweden at the half.

Colombia 0 v 0 NK at the half.

I do not see the USA/Sweden score indicating an upset in the making. It's simply an indication that the USA is not that good. As the score stands they'll play Brazil next. Brazil will love it. They owe us one after the last Olympics.

NJL

2. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Once again the USA aren't finishing. This time it's not Abby missing, it's Cheney and Lloyd missing great opportunites. Plus, tons of errors in the backline. The Brazilians will eat up the American's if their backline continues to make these mistakes.

3. KHenry14

Sometimes I don't like being right... :rolleyes:

4. NeilJLeonard

USA 1 v 2 Sweden
    Colombia 0 v 0 NK

The USA will play Brazil next. They will go home after that game with their worst WWC performance ever. It is time for the USA to seriously reconsider the way it develops players. It's obvious that the rest of the world has caught up with us and many have passed us. The early exit of all CONCACAF teams, which are deeply involved in the USA's development process, demonstrates this.

NJL

5. Ituriel

Ituriel Member

Copa America is turning unpredictable, and matches without goal are boring

What's wrong with Argentina?

Colombia did a good job tonight

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Another 0-0 draw :(

7. KHenry14

While not on Copa America, I learned today that MLS currently has 40% of it's games played this season ending in a draw. This compares to the EPL's 29%. I've personally been to TWO 0-0 draws this season, and I'm sick of it! Better not happen this Sat. when I watch the Galaxy host the Fire. :mad:

8. NeilJLeonard

The same here with the NASL Ft Lauderdale Strikers. We're 5th in the league with 8 ties. Some have been barn burners with last minute goals to get the tie, but only a few more goals would have us solidly in 2nd place (ain't nobody catchin' Caroline this season...;)...)

NJL (...OTOH, the USWNT would have given their lives for a tie yesterday. All depends on how you look at it, I guess...:cool:...)

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

10. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

11. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

I finally got around to watching the US/Sweden game and I completely agree that the US is overrated. It kills me to say that, but they just looked like the inferior team. The lack of speed was glaring as were issues in the defense. I'd say they got unlucky in missing so many scoring chances, but after a while you can't just chalk it up to bad luck.

On the bright side, Abby finally scored. If they're going to have a prayer against Brazil she has to be on top of her game. They're going to be fighting an uphill battle against Brazil, but I think both teams have some defensive issues and if it becomes a very offensive game then Hope Solo at her best can help keep the US in it. She came close to getting her hands on the PK and the deflection would have been hard for anyone to get to. Although the :angryfire side of me would chuckle if the US lost 4-0.

12. Gil-Galad

FRAAAAAAANCE!!! Oh yes, they so deserved that. They play good football, quite entertaining.

Some part of me, the non-patriotic part, wants Japan to win this next one.

13. NeilJLeonard

1-1 tie after 90. 1-1 tie after 120. France wins 4-3 on PKs. They missed their 1st. England missed their last 2.

France was the better side. They outplayed England for most of the match.

NJL

14. Gil-Galad

This is thrilling stuff. And the Japanese ladies are all Gryffindors - I'd never throw myself in a fight against women who are easily 20cm taller than I am. The Japanese team is also extremely well organised. The defense is great and their passing is excellent, too.

Extra time!

And the Samurai did it! Incredible. The Japanese were fantastic. They were concentrated and active until the last second.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  15. NeilJLeonard

Japan scores @ 108 minutes.....Japan 1 v 0 Germany w/ 10 minutes of ET to play.

INCREDIBLE!!!!

Japan 1 v 0 Germany.

Germany is out......:wideeyes:....Who'd a thunk it. Not I. I picked them to win it all....again...:cool:

Now if the USA can only do it to Brazil tomorrow...;)

NJL (...BTW, it was former German midfielder Viola Odebrecht that stated on ESPN a few days ago that the German players expected to win this CUP...she's been the in house commentator/reporter for ESPN concerning all things concerning the German team...)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  16. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I can't believe Germany is out. Unreal. It's always a bit sad on some level when the home team goes out, but this was totally unforeseen! The German home crowd support has warmed my dark, cynical heart.

17. NeilJLeonard

Only 3 teams have ever won the WWC: Germany, Norway & the USA. Two of those 3 are now gone. Hopefully the 3rd on will hang around for a bit longer...;)

NJL

18. KHenry14

A great win by the Japanese women. Well deserved in every aspect. They denied the Germans any good opportunites and took advantage one of the few chances they did have.

And the French got past a game English side, despite having had to use their backup keeper. And the Brits extend their country's dismal performance in penalty shootouts. ;)

19. NeilJLeonard

Be it known that France did not beat the Brits in the PK shootout. The Brits beat themselves. The English GK saved the 1st shot by France. All they had to do from then on was make all of their shots to win. The French keeper did not make a save. The last two players for England flat out missed their shots to lose the game for their side. That is a tough, tough way to exit the WWC.

My congratulations to France. My heartfelt condolences to England.

NJL

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  20. NeilJLeonard

Sweden 3 v 1 Australia. Not unexpected. No comments on the game since I slept through the match.

Next is USA v Brazil. The USA has beaten Brazil 4 straight times since the 4-0 thrashing Brazil gave them in the last WWC, all 1-0, BTW. We'll see what the 2 teams can do today.

NJL

21. Gil-Galad

And 1-0 for the US-girls.

The keeper for the US is gorgeous.

22. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Heh. That's exactly what we were saying. She looks like a model.

23. OlieRow

And she just kept her team in this game!

WTF?! YELLOW FOR SOLO! HORRRRIBLE CALL.

ETA: The PK/red card call will be a bit controversial as is (but definitely understandable) but then to take the save away? That could very well be the game. US loses a player, their lead, and suffers a big mental blow. Can't wait to hear what Solo has to say after the game...

24. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

I'm just totally disgusted by the refs!!! :mad:

They are trying to hand this game to Brazil.

25. Gil-Galad

I hate it when the referees have the penalties repeated, I remember this international men's game where it was the other way around; the player actually scored the first time, but the referee had the penalty repeated because of some minor thing too - and the second time the player missed.

I doubt that. This is not figure skating and nobody has in interest in keeping the US out of the semifinal. I think it's just a case of a rather chaotic game and a referee that seems to be in over her head a little.

26. OlieRow

Up to this point thought it'd been a pretty well officiated game, if not a tad in favor of the US. The Lloyd handball no-call could have been a 2nd yellow if the official wanted to give it and the US drew a few fouls that could've been uncalled.

ETA: One thing Solo needs to be careful with is coming out of the box when she punts the ball. It'd be reminiscent of WWC '91 when Scury got ejected and Mia Hamm ended up having to finish the game in goal. I wouldn't expect it to get called, but with the PK call and her yellow, I wouldn't risk it.

27. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Sorry, you're right. I shouldn't have said that. It was an emotional response.

28. OlieRow

Well the US didn't self destruct... They look like the more fit side and have been playing with a lot of composure, but will that be enough to overcome being a player down? They've done far better today than I expected.

Ahh so the call wasn't on Solo but another player who came into the box too soon. That's a bit of a relief. Not to get ahead of things, but if it goes to PK's then I'd say the US would have the advantage with Solo. I was worried that the call could get into her head if there was a shootout, but it doesn't look like she'll start over thinking her approach.

ETA: SIGH, beautiful goal from Marta.

29. Gil-Galad

The Brazilians do have some absolutely brilliant technicians, I am amazed by those dancing skills they have. But they seem to be a bit all over the place in other areas, just a little unorganised.

30. OlieRow

Not that I'm complaining, but the US is getting far to many good looks being a player down.

ETA: Thank you ref for giving the Brazilian a card for getting off the stretcher and sprinting back onto the field...