For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Alex, I understand what you are saying. My son plays for a nice club team, and it's going to cost us over 2K(!) to keep him on the team for the year. Which is ridiculous if you ask me. if we hadn't got a good tax refund, i'd likely have to tell my son we couldn't afford to have him play on the team, and no Dad wants to tell his kid that. This just isn't the best way to go about this IMO.

2. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

3. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

4. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Bizarre. I watched the game last night (yay for DVRs!) and was impressed with how North Korea played, especially in the first half. I haven't followed the women's national team much since 2004-2005, but I hope they can find a way to be consistent here. They had some defensive breakdowns that a more experienced team would've capitalized on.

Did anyone see the commentary about Solo's comments in 2007 re: Scurry's performance against Brazil? Briana Scurry and Tony DiCicco were asked about it and they seemed to call her out on national TV for not being a team player. Scurry was actually asked how she was as a teammate since she's the GM of her pro team and she seemed to evade that part of the question. I've noticed Tony has made a few comments about team chemistry and females typically needing to get along well off the field to maximize performance on it. I'm out of the loop, does this team have a lot of drama?

Oh and I can't believe it's been 12 years since 1999...

5. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Very little drama, from what I see & what I've heard...:)

NJL (..not so with Solo's / Scurry's club team. It, magicJack, is a farce...:(...)

6. KHenry14

The issue with the USWNT isn't drama, frankly that Solo issue was dealt with a long time ago. The issue was that Hope was right, she should have been in there, and the whole world knew it. But she shouldn't have said it. Why or how that would impact this current team three years later is a mystery.

What isn't a mystery is the poor play in midfield by the US Women. Boxx and Lloyd were TERRIBLE, and if they play like that against the Germans they will get torched. However, the USWNT is very dangerous with 3 quality strikers. The question really is, will they score enough to coverup for defensive weaknesses? Against NK, Swe, Col, the answer is yes. Against anyone else??? Hmmm...

7. NeilJLeonard

Yet, they are considered one of the best central MidField Combos in the world. Hopefully, they have the poor play out of their systems and can perform better from here on out.

The only questions about Solo are her physical abilities since her shoulder operation last year. She did wince a time or 2 against NK when she had to move the right arm above her head. It is something to watch as the tournament progresses. Until the injury she was considered the top female keeper now playing - check her performance in the last Olympics - and she has not played that much since the operation. If she is back to her old form she alone can keep the USA in this WWC. At her best she is that good.

Brazil 1 v 0 Australia. Australia had their chances during the game but insisted on missing the goal...:rolleyes:

Rosana's goal for Brazil was remarkable. SOP Brazilian gem.

NJL (...after all teams have had their opening games only Germany looks like a champion thus far....we'll see how the group round plays out to really know who the contenders actually are, but, it looks like we may have the most even WWC ever in Germany if you compare all the final scores from round one of the Group stage...:)...)

8. OlieRow

Thanks for answering my questions.

It's really remarkable how the women's game has developed and things have evened out. I remember being at Giant Stadium for the games in 1999 many were sooo lopsided. Hopefully the close games will continue throughout the tournament (and I'll have time to follow...)

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Copa American starts tomorrow and ends on July 24th. I most certainly will be watching and wondering if I will get a Brazil v Argentina final. :hat1:

10. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Canada was miserable today at the Women's World Cup. Couldn't string together more than a single pass. Sheer and bloody pathetic effort, I'm dismayed at them and it's another first round exit for Canada :blah:

11. NeilJLeonard

The reason they looked so pathetic is that France was simply 4 goals better than they were. I'll admit that I was surprised by France's 4-0 demolition of Canada, but they were, player for player, position by position a team that was that much better. They are in 1st place in the group and Germany trails them by 3 goals going into the final group game against France. They have to beat France to win the group. They might. They might not. Both will advance, but France looked good enough to beat Germany. I'm shocked I just posted that, but it's true. The French team is a very good team. They look like contenduhs...;)

Germany was fortunate to defeat Nigeria 1-0, because the Nigerians beat the shit out of the Geman players. I've never seen so many fouls allowed in one game in my life. Germany showed class by not responding in kind. They were lucky to escape with a 1-0 win and their lives. OTOH, the German players were taken out of their game by the close marking by the Nigerians. Something for other teams to think about, but please do it with a lot more skill and finesse.

My sympathy to Canada for not advancing. My best to them in their last game of the tournament against a Nigerian team that is also not advancing.

Group A is over even if there is one more round of games to go. Now on to Group B tomorrow to see what transpires there.

NJL

12. KHenry14

I can't believe how far the French women have come. It's not just Abily anymore. They are VERY dangerous up top, and they will give the Germans fits trying to defend them.

The Nigerian women have always played a brutal game, but this is almost too much. The Germans are lucky that no one got hurt. One wonders if the reason Prinz got pulled early in the 2nd was because they didnt want her to get hurt. If the Nigerians had anyone who could score, they could have got a draw. Germany better raise their game a bit if they hope to go far in this tournament.

13. NeilJLeonard

First the #1 CONCACAF team, Canada, gets a 4-0 whuppin' from France, now CONCACAF's #2, Mexico, gets the same 4-0 ass kicking from Japan. Normally anything bad happening to any team from Mexico delights me, but this one bothers me beyond the fact that several members of the Mexican team are US citizens &, like several Canadians, play for, or have played for, US Universities or come up through the US youth system. More & more it seems like CONCACAF is becoming irrelevant at the international level of the sport. It looks like we're going to have to take a long hard look at that system ASAP if we wish to keep up with the Euros, Brazil & Japan in the future. It seems that the world hasn't just caught up with us, they may have passed us.

We'll see as the tournament progresses, but with Canada out & Mexico needing all kinds of help to have any hope of moving on to the knock out stage CONCACAF ain't doin' all that well.

NJL (...it's at the stage that USA!....USA!....USA! may actually become the only cheer for anyone in CONCACAF, let alone for US fans....:eek:...)

14. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more with this point :respec:

Who's ready for Copa America to start?! :cheer: My brother and I will probably head to a bar to watch the opening game tonight.

15. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

This is sooo true...the scouts need to find these kids; some of the school teams in the outlying towns near Huntsville had a large contingent of the Mexican-American kids; their ball handling skills were far superior and they played a more sophisticated game than our team, which had primarily club team and ODP players.

16. NeilJLeonard

England 2 v 1 New Zealand in the most interesting match so far. NZ scored early, their 1st ever lead in a WWC, and fought like mad to hang on. England scored 2 in the 2nd half for a hard fought come from behind win. Group B has Japan advancing & playing England next. NZ is out & plays Mexico next. If England beats Japan by any score they will advance. If England falters & Mexico beats a tough NZ squad that will certainly want to go out on a high note, then Mexico could advance, but, Mexico has to win by a ton of goals (3?, 4?) and I'm not certain they can get that many against NZ.

We'll see.

Next is Group C. It the USA wins over Colombia they will advance. They may need to run up the score against the Colombians to insure they finish 1st in Group. I'm certain the Colombians will do whatever it take to not allow that...;)

I do expect Sweden to beat NK. We'll see what that score is before we make any judgment on USA v Sweden. I expect both to advance, the question is which team will win the Group. That will probably be decided when they play each other in the last Group game.

NJL (...let the fun continue...:D...)

17. NeilJLeonard

USA 1 v 0 Colombia at the half. Total USA dominance, but unable to score. It could/should be at least 3-0. It isn't. Nothing new.

Sweden 1 v 0 NK. The Koreans gave a good effort. Sweden got the goal they needed to win.

More to follow....;)

NJL

18. OlieRow

Oh Abby..... US looking better today but they've really got to work on finishing.

19. NeilJLeonard

Group C
    USA 3 v 0 Colombia
    Sweden 1 v 0 NK

The USA could have had 5 goals in this game, but the post or crossbar got in the way of at least 2. As it is they got the win and the score that they wanted to stay 1st in group on goal diff.

USA & Sweden will advance & play for 1st in Group on Wednesday. USA in 1st place now with a +5 to +2 goal advantage.

Colombia & NK are out & will play each other before leaving.

Next up is group D.

NJL

ETA: The USA has 2 wins against 2 of the weaker teams in the tournament. Starting w/Sweden they'll play far better opposition. The Sweden game will give us a far better idea how good they are. A loss pits them against Brazil & a probable trip home. A win gives them a game against Norway, a team that beat the USA 3-1 recently. We'll see what we'll see.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  20. KHenry14

At a minimum it should have been 5 goals, more likely 7 IMO. Still, they did take advantage of the weak opposition in the second half. But they are still in search of a complete, sound performance.

The USA does have the talent to go all the way, but for that to happen they need to get better in all aspects.

21. NeilJLeonard

Maybe...;)

NJL (...BTW, check out the USA women's forums on Big Soccer. They've got a hot & heavy thread going on the lack of diversity on the USA's team. They use France and England as counter-point examples. And much of it seems to echo your comments on how youth development works in the USA...:cool:...)

22. KHenry14

Well, they hit two posts, plus Abby had chance after chance. Had Abby been the Abby we've seen in the past, it would have been 7-0. Why she's in this scoring slump is beyond me...

23. OlieRow

I have a gut feeling that once she breaks through, she's really going to break out. Maybe she can get one against Sweden and then have it carry over to the knock out rounds. Couldn't help but laugh with some of her missed chances yesterday!

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Brazil has started it's Copa America title defense with a 0-0 tie against Venezuela. VENEZUELA!!! :wuzrobbed

25. NeilJLeonard

England 2 v 0 Japan ...:eek:...to win the Group.

Mexico 2 v 2 New Zealand...Mexico score 2 in the 1st half & NZ scores one in the 90th & another in the 94th...:wideeyes:...to tie for their 1st WWC point ever....:kickass:

More to follow tomorrow.

NJL

ETA: Heather O'Reilly & Abby Wambach have not practiced with the USA since the last game. Both will probably miss, or at least not start, against Sweden.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  26. KHenry14

Kudos to the Kiwi women for their huge comeback.

While USA really would like to beat Sweden, saving Abby and Heather for the knock-out rounds is probbly prudent. Besides, Rapinoe and Morgan are pretty good subs. And a Morgan/Rodriguez front like will put a lot of pressure on the Swedish back 4 with their pace. That should be an interesting match-up tomorrow.

27. KHenry14

BTW, that Marie-Laure Delie is one heck of a striker that the French have found. Eye of the Tiger in that one...

28. NeilJLeonard

Germany 4 v 2 France.

Germany plays Japan in the Quarters. France plays England.

Nigeria leads Canada 1 - 0.

ETA: And wins it 1-0. Both of the 2 top qualifiers from CONCACAF can head home and prep for the next Olympics. CONCACAF only gets 2 spots in that. The OLY qualifying tournament, in Vancouver in January(?), I think, should be a dog fight.

On to the final 2 opening round games tomorrow....:)

NJL

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  29. NeilJLeonard

Brazil 3 v 0 Equitorial Guinea
    Australia 2 v 1 Norway

Brazil wins the Group and will play the loser of USA v Sweden.
    Australia finishes 2nd and will play the winner of USA v Sweden. This is the 1st time Norway has not advanced out of Group play.

The word is that Abby Wambach will start for the USA despite a bad ankle/foot and a yellow card.

NJL

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  30. KHenry14

Brazil had their hands for for the first half, but then their talent won out.

Congrats to the Aussies, clearly their program is headed in the right direction. Not so for Norway I'm afraid.

I'd be shocked if Abby plays in the second half, unless the team is behind badly.