For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Just want to start off with yet another mention of just how much I would love to have the USA host the 2022 WC. I kinda leaning in favour of the Russians getting the 2018 WC because it would mean so much more to them. With that said Manchester City just cannot seem to shoot straight against Birmingham City so the score is still 0-0 with 20 minutes to go.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

If Russia wins 2018 world cup bid, English media will start whining. When you think about it, they do complain a lot, even eurovision song contest results are seen as a conspiracy against england.

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Man U tied yesterday 2-2 with Aston Villa, while Man City tied 0-0 with Birmingham. Arsenal beat Everton 2-1 which leaves the EPL table looking like this:

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Man U
    4. Man City
    5. Bolton
    6. Tottenham...
    11. Liverpool

Meanwhile in the Russian PL with two more matches left Zenit is in the lead followed by CSKA in 2nd and Rubin in 3rd.

In the La Liga Barca is in lead and doing very well but of course it is too early to call the winner of Spanish PL. So here are the standing so far:

1. Barca
    2. Real Madrid
    3. Villareal
    4. Espanyol
    5. Atlético
    6. Valencia
    7. Sevilla
    8. Athletic Club
    9. Real Sociedad
    10. Mallorca

Here are the standings for the Italian Serie A and I am surprised that Inter is in fifth.

1 S.S. Lazio
    2 AC Milan
    3 SSC Napoli
    4 Juventus
    5 FC Internazionale Milano
    6 AS Roma
    7 US Città di Palermo
    8 Udinese Calcio
    9 Genoa CFC
    10 UC Sampdoria

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

In the Bundesliga Cinderella AKA Meinz has fallen to 3rd with Dortmund in the lead so far:

1. Dormund
    2. Leverkussen
    3. Mainz
    4. Freiburg
    5. Eintracht
    6. Hannover...
    10. Bayern
    16. Schalke

In Portugal the standings are:

1. Porto
    2. Vitoria SC
    3. Benfica
    3. Sporting
    4. Olhanense
    5. Nacional

The standings in the Ukraine are:

1. Shakhtar Donetsk
    2. Dynamo Kyiv
    3. Metalist

5. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

UGH, my LA Galaxy laid a huge egg last night in getting drubbed 3-0 in the conference finals. Three defensive breakdowns lead to three goals and that was that. It didn't help that the referee was incompetant, but that wasn't the decisive factor.

This team will look completely different next year with expansion, retirements and transfers completely changing the team chemistry. Hopefully that is a good thing...:confused:

6. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

But it turns the MLS final into the boredom bowl w/o Becks & Donovan...:(

NJL (...Colorado v FC Dallas does not light my fuse....I'll watch it, but I'd prefer Red Bull v Galaxy...)

7. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

Buzz,

AC Milan actually moved back to the top after they beat Inter last night.

AC Milan- 26 pts.
    SS Lazio-25 pts.

8. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Well-Known Member

David Villa, Xabi Alonso and Fernando Llorente introduced in this TV commercial new Spain Team equipment. I think the concept is :yikes: and :scream: but the :grope: part almost compensates it. So much :drama: lol

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  9. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

That's a yummy commercial ...until they start tearing their skin off. But thanks for posting it!

10. D&Sfan4ever

D&Sfan4ever Living in a Snark

Today was the superclásico. The football match between River and Boca, at the Monumental Stadium, the most anticipated match here in Argentina, and finally we won it :D River 1 - Boca 0.

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Isn't there another match today that you will also be watching?! ;) Should be a very good match not sure if it will be shown anywhere here but I hope so. :) The USA also plays South Africa today, Germany plays Sweden, and Italy plays Romania as well.

12. D&Sfan4ever

Not a chance in hell, not only I think we are going to be defeated, but I have a 'end of term' exam later in the afternoon.

13. D&Sfan4ever

Ok, my mistake. We won. 1-0. :p
    Off to College to take the exam in question.

sweetsparky and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

LOL@D&Sfan4ever Congratulations to Argentina, but I was actually routing for Brazil. :slinkaway

In the other big match for today Portugal beat Spain 4-0 in Qatar which has eye popping but that don't change last summer's WC results. hehehe :p England lost 2-1 to France but the English side was watered down because of injury.

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

FIFA has released a report that assesses all the competiting bids for both the 2018 and 2022 bids and found that they all have problems. Despite all the problems with the Russian bid I hope they get it, and of course I hope the US gets 2022. I have no idea why Qatar is suddenly considered such a strong bidder. The country is extremely hot during the summer months, very small, it's team is extremely weak, and Qatar is a conservative islamic state. Not sure how the locals are gonna feel once the games start about a bunch of gyrating, scantily clad and alcohol fuelled foreigners in their midst. Not sure what I will do to this computer if I learn the US did not get the 2022 tornament!!! :(

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/fifa-report-finds-enough-risk-all-around/?ref=global

16. D&Sfan4ever

Qatar = :bribe::bribe::bribe::bribe:
    I mean, look at it: tiny country, hot as hell, and the national team is 10 times weaker than Southafrica :eek:, it's :bribe: or the powers that be have completly lost their heads.
    And as far as USA, sorry, but I'm hopping for more new countries to host the World Cup, so I'm :cheer2: for Australia for 2022.
    That been said, 2030 must go to Uruguay no matter what. The celebration of 100 years of World Cups must be where it was played for the first time.

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I do not really want to think about the 2030 WC because I will be :wideeyes: years of age. :slinkaway

18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

A couple of unpleasant futbol business to get out of the way this morning:

1) Those two FIFA committee members; Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii have been suspended for three and one year respectfully. But Qatar, Spain and Portugal was cleared of any wrong doing. The which decides who gets what now has only 22 voting members. Hopefully FIFA would in the future implement changes to make this whole process more transparent.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...ines-officials-on-world-cup-hosting-vote.html

2) Mario Balotelli was booed and heckled by about a hundred racist Italian fans everytime he touched the ball while playing for Italy yesterday. Very disapointing and ugly. Italy tied 1-1 with Romania.
    http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/847646...mario-balotelli-racially-abused-by-italy-fans

19. KHenry14

Some of those "concerns" are ludicrous. With all due respect to Qatar, there's just no way that they can get around the weather issue. Frankly, it's a huge stretch to even consider them hosting the WC. And for them to raise "Concerns" about gurantees from the USA government? Hello? Wasn't the most profitable and successful WC held in the USA? That was 26 years ago and no host country has topped it. I guess that FIFA has to come up with something negative to say, but let's be honest, no one has any real doubts about a WC being held in the USA. It would make money for everyone involved, plus the infrastructure is already in place, they could hold the Cup tomorrow in the USA without having to add a thing.

With that said, the concerns over Australia, which entirely revolve around money, seem petty at best. Japan/Korea did fine when they hosted, and they are close to the same time zones as the Aussies. Australia easily handled an Olympics, and I've no doubt they could host a WC. But not until 2026 :D

And I really like the Brits for 2018. Not only a footie hotbed, but because of the relative small size of the country, getting the teams from location to location will be a snap, which is a definate problem for the Russians. And I find it very hard to believe that the Brits can't gurantee enough hotel rooms. That seems silly to even mention. Of course, hosting the event will double the amount of pressure on the English National team, one hopes that they wont wilt under the stress of it. :rolleyes:

20. KHenry14

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I didn't think the previous name was all bad. However Sporting Lisbon....errr... I mean Sporting Kansas City is pretty cool too. :cool: I wonder what will happen if the English does not get the 2018 WC?! I know this for sure; I will be doing lot of... :watch: hehehehe

22. NeilJLeonard

USA women v Italy woman game #1 in Italy for final WWC spot starts at 1030 AM EST today. It is not on TV in the US. More later.

NJL (...or not...Ethan should be home shortly...:)...)

23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

GOOD LUCKY USA!!! :cheer2:

24. NeilJLeonard

They won 1-0 on a 94th minute goal. I'll take it.

NJL (...on to Chicago...then, hopefully, Germany...we'll see next Saturday...;)....even if this final match isn't televised either...:(...)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  25. NeilJLeonard

Colorado 2-1 over Dallas in the MLS final on a Dallas own goal in the 2nd OT. Rough, ugly game played in Toronto's cold & rain.

NJL

26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Today's CL results:

Marsaille 3-0 Spartak
    Chelsea 2-1 Zilina
    Ajax 0-4 Real Madrid
    Auxerre 0-2 Milan
    Braga 2-0 Arsenal
    Partizan 0-3 Shakhtar
    Roma 3-2 Bayern
    Basel 1-0 Cluj

27. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

28. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

I appreciate anything that gives attention to Xabi and the Ramos, though!:swoon:

I don't understand how CR is safe for the playoffs, I thought he was in the same situation as the two of them?

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Results from day two of this week's CL round:

Rubin 1 - 0 København
    Internazionale 1 - 0 Twente
    Schalke 3 - 0 Lyon
    Valencia 6 - 1 Bursaspor
    H. Tel-Aviv 3 - 0 Benfica
    Panathinaikos 0 - 3 Barcelona
    Tottenham 3 - 0 Bremen
    Rangers 0 - 1 Man. United

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Qatar is now according to the BBC the front runner for the 2022 WC! :yikes: :wall: