Football is back!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by flyingsit, Sep 6, 2013.

1. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

About time, too.

2. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Peyton! :cheer:

3. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

Peyton is amazing...so much love for him going all the way back to Tennessee days. It's really been a joy to watch his entire college and NFL career.

4. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

wooohoo! GO NINERS!!!

5. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Peyton was amazing last night! The Ravens didn't look so good but they have a lot of new pieces and a lot of times the Superbowl champ has a letdown the season after they win.

6. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Ah, not real football; you mean American football. ;)

7. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

I was about to say "go Chelsea", but it turned out to be the Anerican football.

8. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on this? Tim Tebow refuses to switch from QB for NFL team, report says.

If this is true, I am shaking my head. I think Tebow is obviously a good football player but maybe he should be a little more humble and take advantage of a VERY rare opportunity. You'd think he would be really to use his abilities in whatever way he could help a team. Especially with the TE situation that the Patriots has.

One example: Tony Dungy was a quarterback at the U of Minnesota that was more than willing to play safety for the Pittsburgh for (I think) two seasons. And he got a Super Bowl ring in the meantime. Then he didn't do too bad as a coach cause he won another Super Bowl ring - as head coach of the Colts.

9. jenny12

Yeah. You know, the one that is actually watchable. Not the one that goes on and on forever and ends up 0-0. ;)

10. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Thank goodness it's back. This has been a long off season (I say that every year)

11. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I don't know what the Patriots were doing this weekend but here's hoping that isn't all they've got. It could be a long season if it is.

12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

My record is broken. I've attended in person six NFL games. In the first five the home team won and got at least as far as the Conference Championship game (Jets '08 - Jets '09 - Green Bay '10 - 49ers '11 - Giants '11). So of course the Washington Redskins had to break my streak yesterday! :wuzrobbed: And I took my dad (a lifelong Skins fan) to the game, got awesome ($$$$$$$) seats, only to watch them break his heart. Sorry, Dad!

I can't bear to comment on my Giants except to say it's a good thing they recently won the Big One, though they already seem to have squandered most of their goodwill with the fans by being just awful so far this season. Yes, the Giants fans are a very "what have you done for me lately" bunch. If my Gmen aren't playoff-bound, then I hope they tank the season in spectacular fashion and get a really high draft pick. Enough with the 9-7, just barely missing the playoffs stuff.

Weird seeing teams like Kansas City and Miami at 3-0, but good for them. I hope Miami mounts a meaningful challenge in the AFC East this year. And good for Alex Smith making the most of his second chance in KC. Who knows, he could make Jim Harbrough regret trading him away.

On another note, I'm going to predict that the Broncos and one of the NFC South teams (either Saints or Falcons, probably Saints) will be duking it out in SuperBowl XLVIII. Eli won a SuperBowl in Peyton's house, so now maybe Peyton will win one in Eli's house.

13. jeffisjeff

I live in Giants territory, which isn't too much fun as a Patriots fan. But I am also a huge Peyton Manning fan (I spent too much time living in Indiana), so tonight I was :rofl: to hear our local news anchorperson basically beg to trade Mannings for just one week. Peyton is that good and Giants are just that bad. My Patriots may not be great this year, but at least I'll have Peyton to cheer for.

14. jenny12

I can't believe how bad the Giants look. Absolutely no protection for Eli who is spraying the ball everywhere. However, Eli can console himself by knowing he still has more rings than his big brother.

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Broncos looking good. Wish Redskins could trade their old coach back to them.

16. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Judging by the way the Broncos are playing, that may very well change in February!!

17. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

18. Cheylana

Neither Brady nor Peyton would stand for an o-line as bad as what Eli has been dealing with. It's been mediocre for years, but now it's a total sieve and the Giants don't have enough tight ends and power backs to help out with chip blocks. This is also why the running game has been suffering. David Wilson is a talented RB, but the o-line can't open any holes. If they can't fix the o-line this season, then the offensive coordinator needs to change up the scheme, mix in more of the short passes, slants, etc.

19. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Since there seems to be a lot of Manning fans on this thread, I had a chance to watch "Book of Manning" last night on ESPN. It was a documentary focusing on Archie Manning, his career at Ole Miss, a bit about the Saints, but mostly his time as a father and how he raised 3 sons so successfully. If you have a chance to watch and are a Manning fan, I highly recommend.

20. jeffisjeff

What if you only like one of the Mannings, but not the whole family? :shuffle: ;)

21. Cheylana

Watching Broncos blow out the Iggles. Nice TD catch, Welker! Man, he and Peyton are pure magic together. Wes looks great in orange, too :)

22. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Wondering exactly how many ways my Cowboys can find to lose this season....sigh

23. Cheylana

Heart goes out to Adrian Peterson, who lost his two-year-old son today. He was allegedly beaten to death by his mother's boyfriend.

Disgusting! :mad:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/11/us/adrian-peterson-son-alleged-assault/

24. jenny12

:( for Adrian Peterson, one of my very favorite players in the league. How horrible.

25. jeffisjeff

Patriots! :cheer: :cheer:

Yesterday was a stressful but exciting day for NE/Boston fans!

And a :cheer: :cheer: for Peyton! And for the Giants keeping that streak alive. :p

26. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The Patriots never gave up but they didn't have to. That was some of the worst officiating I have EVER seen. Did you see the incomplete pass that the receiver picked up off the ground that was called complete?! There were tons of holding calls missed but none worse than the one on the game winning touchdown. Finally, what about the time out that Brees called that was ignored? It resulted in an interception. There are tons of others. I don't really care about the NFL but is that the norm?! I can't get into NFL games if the home team (or certain teams?) are favored like that.

27. jenny12

Tom Brady is a friggin' badass. Awesome last throw! He is doing a lot with not the best receiving crew this season.

lmarie086 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Sad to hear Sam Bradford (St.Louis Rams) is out for the season with an ACL tear. The Rams tried to recruit Brett Bavre, but at age 44 Brett is enjoying his time with his family and he declined. He said he is not in football shape anymore (although in good shape otherwise).

29. jenny12

Was very impressed with Andrew Luck's performance v. Broncos. He looks like the best of the young QB group so far, although the praise from some of the analysts seems a bit hyperbolic considering this is just his second season.

30. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

LOVE my Pats!! Clearly a lot of rookies on the roster, but they're shaping up nicely...slowly, but nicely.

So happy Gronkowski is bad, but I still miss Welker. :wuzrobbed: