Food to bring back from London

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Yehudi, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I only had "Australian Toaster Biscuits" once but seem to recall that they were much more like English muffins than crumpets. That brand has been discontinued, though, so it's moot.

2. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

they do sell those here in a lot of stores here in canada (even in local gas stations!) but in uk they make them with soft serve ice cream in the summer called a "99" they are TO die for- but hard to bring in a suitcase!

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Do people think that Trader Joe's crumpets are as good as their English counterparts?

4. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

This is the brand of crumpets I've been eating in the US since I was a little girl :)

Of course I can't get them in China (that I am aware of) but now I might have a new recipe project...

5. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I've never seen crumpets here. Now you've made me miss them. Mmmmm, hot crumpets with butter and Vegemite :swoon: If you find a good recipe, send it along!

(All of that chocolate can be bought in Beijing :swoon: I love Flake and Time Out, and Crunchies (honeycomb covered in chocolate) and peppermint crisps)

6. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I have to caveat that I have never tried making crumpets but there are two tv chefs in the UK known as the "Hairy Bikers" and I love nearly everything they do. It is their recipe that appears here on the bbc food website so it might be worth checking out.

7. Artemis@BC

I mentioned the 99s on the previous page. I wonder what would happen, though, if you went to DQ or another soft-serve place here with a Flake in your pocket, got a cone, and then made your own 99? Probably get a lot of jealous looks!

BTW, have you checked the label on the Flake bars sold in Canada? I just assumed they were made in Canada, like the other Canadian Cadbury products (Dairy Milk, Caramilk, Crunchy, and ick cream eggs), and that you'd have to go to a British import store to get a "true" Flake. But maybe not.

8. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I'm planning to bring home a good suitcase full of Jamie Oliver products when I make a trip to England. I can get some of his line here but they are hard to find and expensive.

9. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Oooh! I thought of something. If you're here before or around Easter...Cadbury cream eggs. If not...salt and vinegar crisps?

I was just thinking of things that my British friends in Russia asked me to bring when I visited them a year ago. That was it. Cadbury cream eggs, Walkers salt and vinegar crisps (yuck) and an assortment of cadbury chocolate bars. You can get a big assorted bag in larger supermarkets :)

10. snowbird

snowbird Active Member

11. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Publix used to carry Australian toaster biscuits. I would to put them in the microwave just long enough to warm for the butter, because I wanted that maximum rubbery texture.

12. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I took a very quick trip to London at the beginning of February (seriously, it was a weekend) but I didn't get the opportunity to try much authentic food. I did buy a gift set of English Breakfast tea, English Tea and English Afternoon tea and I am hooked on it! I have not had any other tea since I got back.

I also bought like 10 GBP worth of candy on the way back. They have a candy bar called Lion that's really good and these caramel wafer things that were amazing! I always like trying candy from different places. My cousin lived in Japan for a year and would always bring back bags of goodies for us to try. Some were good, some were terrible! :)

13. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I like to bring back Roses (chocolates) and Quality Street (chocolates). This time of year, Quality Street has those fab filled Easter Eggs! :)

O-

14. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

I lurve Cadbury cream eggs. Or is it creme? anyway, they are only available before Easter. Try as I might to buy enough to last for a month or more, somehow they vanish.
    You have to be careful when and where you eat them, because they run, just like a soft boiled egg. Sticky!

There are now mini cream eggs, and they are OK, but a lot of peeling of foil wrap, and they might have too much chocolate (how can that be) in relation to the gooey filling.

Must be on the lookout for Quality Street eggs. I'm sure they are around somewhere.

A benefit to living in Victoria is that many British food products and shops are available in an effort to convince tourists that Victoria is "so British".

15. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I used to eat creme eggs as a child, but now I find them way too sweet. :scream:

16. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

:lol: Me too. But most people love them! And I'd be lying if I said I hadn't had one this year :shuffle:

17. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Me three! I LOVED those things! Now, if I come across one, I sort of peel away the chocolate from the "creme" and cringe at what little creme sticks to the chocolate. Can't believe I ever ate them and liked them. But, then again, I can't believe I used to love pixie sticks!

O-

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

An even more astonishing packaged item you can buy in at the food shops in London is this. :eek:

Who knew?

19. Artemis@BC

Tunnock's Caramel Wafers! They're not my all-time favourite, but they're very high on my nostalgia list: when I was 9-10 I lived for a year about a mile from their factory (in Uddingston, Scotland). Quite a few places around Vancouver carry them, and I buy them whenever I see them.

20. mkats

mkats New Member

Oh, pixie sticks... I totally forgot they existed. :rofl: there was a while in middle school when they were all the rage and some poor uninformed teacher thought they were drugs... massive sweeping of all the lockers in the school and what not...

21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Pixie sticks are awesome!

22. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

23. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the tips. In London now and had a lovely afternoon tea with scones at harrods.

24. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Did you go to the food hall?

Have a great time! You're lucky we have a nice few days for you!

25. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

Harrod's Food Hall = :swoon:

26. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone again for the tips. I did go to Harrod's Food Hall, bought some clotted cream fudge, biscuits, and Jams, plus macrons from the chocolatier. Went to Mark and Spencers and bought earl grey tea for my roommate and some more biscuits, and jaffa cakes. At the airport, I needed to spend my pounds so I bought a box of Cadbury flakes at Duty Free.

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

ITA. That was one of the most memorable experiences in London. :lol:

28. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I will say that I need a salad now. The group leader took us to some taverns for lunch and the food was a wee bit heavy on the mash and peas. The curry and ethnic food around London is amazing though.

29. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

my guilty pleasure.. 'high tea' .. enjoy it in England and at various places here in Canada as well.. ridiculous cost typically but I love clotted cream, scones and strawberry jam... along with all the other treats and teas ..