Food to bring back from London

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Yehudi, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I'm going to London next week and would like to bring back some non perishable or can last 8-10 hours food items to bring for friends and family. Any brands of biscuits and tea you would recommend? Whatelse would you recommend that would be tough to find in the US? Apparently, some cheeses are permissible also.

Thanks

2. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

I always bring club biscuits, tonnocks tea cakes (yum yum yum) and Jaffa cakes.... I tend to be a busicut kinda gal...;)

3. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Fortnum & Mason on Piccadilly is a good place to start.

4. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

Twinnings English Afternoon tea.

5. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

My parents always bring clotted cream back.

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:swoon:

7. morqet

morqet Active Member

Fortnum & Mason does good potted cheeses. Also look out for Duchy Original biscuits - you can find them in most supermarkets. If you want something traditionally British, try getting a pot of Marmite, although just warning that it can be a bit of an acquired taste!

8. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the tips :)

Is it a hard cheese or soft cheese? Reading customs forms and hard cheeses like cheddar seem to be fine.

9. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I dont know the brand but my director at work brought us back some delicious fudge last time she went to London.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

If you're going through any of the main terminals at Heathrow, there are a ton of shopping options, including outposts of Harrods and Fortnum & Mason and other British shops - and they are past security.

11. morqet

morqet Active Member

They have a variety - things like Stilton or Shropshire blue, so semi-soft. But they're in completely sealed pots which might make it a bit easier to get through customs?

12. snowbird

snowbird Active Member

You could bring crumpets so that your friends could find out how awful they are, not bad enough for me to include a puke smiley here, though.

13. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

They have Twinings at Stop n Shops here in Connecticut in the regular tea area

14. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Don't try to bring back any form of honey. It will not pass security. And you don't want to pack it in your checked luggage!

While you are in London you could try various types of Cadbury's chocolates before you decide which to bring home. The fruit and nut bar is a good place to start.

Honestly, as many times as I have been to England I have never brought food back. But then, most of the really good stuff is available at local stores in Victoria.

15. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

You're a real ray of sunshine, aren't you snowbird? What's wrong with crumpets - aren't they right-wing enough for you?

Crumpets and English muffins are both delicious, toasted and with butter. As well as or instead of the cheeses mentioned earlier, you could try one of the traditional hard white, crumbly cheeses such as Caerphilly, Cheshire or Wensleydale.

As for biscuits, Waitrose's Almond Cookies are heavenly, and all the Duchy Originals are good (though very expensive).

Have a good trip, Yehudi. :)

16. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Cadbury. The stuff that makes it here is not near as good. I also bring back cheddar cheese

17. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Most large supermarkets in the US sell a good variety of English foods and teas or you can buy it online. I'd want to bring back the stuff that's homemade and doesn't really come in a packet or jar or stuff I can't get here. Homemade bread sauce, fresh Yorkshire pudding, hot roasted potatoes cooked with a roast. Somehow I don't think any of it would get through customs or be any good at the other end. :lol:

A jar of lemon curd might be an idea. Delicious. Although it's the wrong time of the year you may be able to find a Christmas pudding and brandy sauce. They'll last until next Christmas. Daddies Sauce maybe. It's a brown sweet, tangy sauce - the US equivalent is close to the taste of Heinz 57 but Daddies sauce is better.

18. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Yes. Actually that was the one thing my mom wanted and she said the same thing

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Ever since I've opened this thread I've been DYING for some clotted cream+jam on scones. That's alright, we have plenty of afternoon tea places here. :)

20. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

My girlfriend had a tough time finding Lyle's Golden Syrup and Black Treacle.

21. snowbird

snowbird Active Member

Whatever you do, don't bring them Wimpys,( Or is it Wimpies?).

22. victoriajh

wimpy's - not a hmaburger fan then?
    ;)

23. victoriajh

ahhhh uk cadburys is SOO much better- so are the smarties- especially the orange ones!

24. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

25. snowbird

snowbird Active Member

The only time I ate Wimpys was before England had McDonalds and BK and they were mystery meat w/onions that would burn your eyeballs out.

26. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

So the 1970s then.

Do you have anything valuable to add to this discussion in 2013 or are you just here to stir the shit?

Yehudi, I'd recommend a trip to Marks & Spencer. Pick anything off the shelves there. It's hard to go wrong. :)

27. snowbird

snowbird Active Member

28. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

A few years ago the Paris Salon du Chocolat was considerately held during the same time as TEB, and I went with a friend. Some of our favorite chocolates there turned out to be by a small British company - Booja Booja. If you can find any while in the UK, I would definitely recommend it.

29. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

We have Twinnings here too but I've only managed to find the English Afternoon Tea, so far, in Bermuda and the UK pavilion in Epcot.

Even the British import store here doesn't have the English Afternoon one.

I'll keep Connecticut in mind...if I'm ever there. I'll be in Boston in July, will have a look there too for sure.

It's one of my favorite teas.

30. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I've never been to England :wuzrobbed but it all sounds delicious. Now I want chocolates and scones and clotted cream etc. BTW I always thought that crumpets aren't eaten by themselves, that you put jam or something on them. People in books are always eating jam & crumpets so maybe they're not supposed to be good without a topping. I don't really know what a crumpet is.