Food Network Star (Season 9)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kwanfan1818, Jun 7, 2013.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I've never seen a full season of Food Network Star, but I taped the first episode of Season 9 and watched it tonight. I don't know how much contestants change over the course of the competition. I was surprised at how many of the contestants whose demo tapes were subdued or staid had so much energy, life, and personality in the interview/commentary segments, and at least two have been on Iron Chef, a couple on Chopped, and the housewife/restauranteur was on Restaurant Impossible, so they're used to the people and the cameras. Maybe it was easier for them with a small crew than with their fellow contestants snarking away watching them.

I can understand to an extent why they made the elimination they did -- the person they kept is a producer's dream -- but at least the person eliminated can cook -- her potato dish looked mouthwatering -- and I would have watched that chef's show religiously.

There are a couple of people I might watch if I had closed captioning and could put them on mute, because their potato dish was interesting. I don't care if the "Meat on the Side" chef was perky: I found her warm and personable. When one of the contestants in the middle was called safe, I realized I couldn't remember a thing about him. I like the self-described Southern Girl: I thought she was pretty mellow. I adore the guy who beat Bobby Flay: I wanted to jump through my TV set to try his exploding potato thingies.

Is anyone else watching? From the website, it seems that the show is running concurrently in the US and Canada. (Top Chef played in Canada after it showed in the US, and I finally got a friend in Seattle to tell me who won.)

2. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I watched (but I am not sure why :shuffle:) on-demand. I was wondering about the former-model-turned-caterer. Haven't we seen her on this show before? I mean, how many former-models-turned-caterers with kind of weird/annoying speaking voices can there be? I remember her from a season when Alton wasn't a mentor, but played a producer role, helping the contestants film something. I remember because he made her cry. :lol:

3. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I love this show!

Was it two hours? I must've caught the shortened late night version.

A lack of point of view = kiss of death. The contestant eliminated simply couldn't perform on camera -- I found her so unwatchable.

I like "meet on the side," the Jewish BBQ guy and the pretty vintage goes modern girl (though I loved the quirky girl from last season with the same POV). I think the guy who beat Bobby won't last long -- he just doesn't project.

OMG the model bitch is such good TV.

I would love to be on this show -- I used to work in TV. If only I could cook!

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I've been watching.
    The premiere was only 1 hour.

Looking forward to seeing more from the chef who beat Bobby on "Iron Chef".
    From the promo, it looks as though "Southern girl" gets into "hot water"; not in a good way.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't know that she was unteachable -- she clearly had no sense of time when doing her promo -- but her cooking had a definite point of view, and she could cook. Plus, she was gorgeous, more so than the model. The model's point of view seems to be, "I'm a model, so you should want to eat my food," yet her food sucked. The judges didn't even kvell over her sauce.

She'd be much better TV if a corpse didn't have more life.

Caty (Catie ?) on Top Chef Canada was great TV: hateable until you realized that she was she as critical of her own food as she was of others'. Plus, she had better delivery to her snark.

6. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I always watch this reality competition (like Next Design Star, too). It's too early to see how each contestant will perform in front of the cameras but I'm pulling for the young man who beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef. I agree, tho, that this season seems to have several contestants who have been on tv before this. I swear I've seen the former model (Danushka?) before. Isn't there another Cooking Channel? I don't watch it except when flipping channels but think they have/had a blond with a drawn out way of expressing herself. Could it be?

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

According to the bios, which might be selective, but it's hard to imagine wouldn't leave out an appearance on The Cooking Channel or The Food Network, six have appeared on network shows and one has an online show:

"Chris [Hodgson] and his teammates were the runners-up on The Great Food Truck Race."
    "Danushka [Lysek] competed on Chopped and survived two rounds of cooking.
    "[Nikki Dinki]'s the creator of an online cooking show..."
    "[Rodney Henry] has appeared on Chopped and Throwdown With Bobby Flay, among other Food Network shows..."
    "[Russell Jackson] recently battled Jose Garces in Iron Chef America Battle Rhubarb.
    "[Stacey Poon-Kinney] teamed up with her father to open The Trails Eatery in San Diego, which was featured on Season 2 of Restaurant: Impossible."
    "Victor over Bobby Flay in Iron Chef America Battle Ground Meat, Viet [Pham]..."

8. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Danushka just looked and sounded stoned. Really stoned.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. skatesindreams

It doesn't bother me to have seen most of these people before.
    Food Network Star is really an extended audition to see whether any of them can "carry" a show; since mounting a concept is a big, expensive commitment.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It doesn't bother me either. merrywidow wondered where she might have seen Danushka before, and this may have answered her question. I listed the rest because most looked familiar to me, and I remember cheering for Viet Pham on Iron Chef America. There's a lot of cross-pollination on the two networks, and I would think that the producers would be watching all of the competition shows for potential.

11. jeffisjeff

Regarding Danushka, as I said above, I also am sure I have seen her before and I feel like it was in Food Network Star a few years ago. There definitely was a blonde model who struggled because her speaking voice was just odd. An Alton made her cry. Does anyone else remember that?

ETA: I decided to just answer my own question. Not Danushka, but Alicia Sanchez from Season 7:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/alicia-sanchez-overview-page/package/index.html

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  12. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Plus, wasnt there some blonde named Dzintra from a few seasons back who intentially mouthed words but didn't speak after they said she was too loud?

ETA: I was thinking of Alicia too!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  13. jeffisjeff

Yes, that was :rofl: !

14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

This is the first season I've watched where I DON'T LIKE ANY OF THE CONTESTANTS! What a bunch of cocky assholes with cornball gimmicks and POVs. I liked the Peruvian lady, but I guess her personality wasn't strong enough. But the guy with the mohawk, the girl who calls herself Lovely, and the hipster douche musician lead the pack as some of the most obnoxious group of cooks I've seen. I don't want ANYONE to win.

But I'll be watching tomorrow I guess :shuffle:...

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

According to the bios, "Lovely" is the nickname she was given by her family when she was a kid. She didn't choose it for herself.

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It's still a stupid name.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

More stupid than Beloved?

18. skatesindreams

I'm waiting for Viet to come to the fore.
    However, I suppose that we have to get through all the "drama" first.

19. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I'm watching the rerun, liking that he found some confidence by throwing Bobby Flay under the bus (hey, if I beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef I'd brag about it too!)

I hate Danushka or whatever model girl's name is already. Her burger pitch turned right into "Hi, I'm an anorexic model and aren't people who enjoy eating gross?"

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The funny thing is, he beat Bobby Flay in Battle Ground Meat, and he didn't mention that in his burger pitch. For all the audience knew, he beat Flay in Battle Caviar. It's a bit of a struggle for him to do this naturally.

If Danushka had only a touch of Christina Ricci's irony.

21. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Finally got rid of that Danushka. Despite what she claims, she's not edgy or funny or droll, she's just annoying and Boring! And that wont fly on the network. Surprised that Stacy and Russell had so many problems, as I am thinking that they will both be in the final three. Still not really feeling which one of these people I would watch if they got a show.

22. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

YES! Whiney, weaned-on-a-lemon Danushka is gone! Sheesh, was she annoying.

23. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Me either. None of them have an idea that really hooks you. Some seasons the winner disappears as soon as the FN contract is over and I'm thinking that might be the case here.

24. skatesindreams

Very true.

There are more opportunities/interest in cooking on other networks, also.
    The FN umbrella is no longer the only option .
    Ir simply gets your name and face out there.

25. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I think it's going to come down to Stacy and the BBQ guy (they seem to love him). Viet should have tried to make it on to Top Chef. He seems too classy for Food Network. :shuffle:

26. jeffisjeff

So true! :rofl:

27. skatesindreams

I also would prefer to see him on Top Chef.
    After his win over Bobby, TPTB may have suggested that he do this.

There is a fair amount of crossover between the networks,
    Several people have appeared on both Iron Chef America and Top Chef.

28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I was relieved to see her go.
    The only contestant that I actually like is Viet.

29. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I like Viet, too. He's the only one who I can see watching. I think they see him as too mellow. But, he's the kind of personality I like, especially on a weekend morning. Kind of like Ina Garten. But, I think they had him on just to give him the "shock boot" since he's the guy who beat Bobby Flay. Stacy is the only other one I could imagine watching. The bbq guy isn't bad, but everyone else is pretty annoying.

What happened to last year's winner?

30. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Sandwich Guy is everywhere!