Flying with skates (a NYC skate)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by victoriajh, Nov 24, 2012.

1. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Heading to New York City by air next weekend , does anyone know if skates are ok in your carry on?
    I am planning to hit up Rockefeller centre to skate while there ( anyone want to join in?)
    And was hoping to bring my skates along
    Thanks!!

2. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

They have to be checked now, unfortunately. You might get away with putting them on as the special baggage (like with the strollers and stuff) if the airline offers that kind of service.

3. victoriajh

Dang was not planning on checking a bag!!!!

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

It's my understanding that ice skates are allowed as a carry on. TSA compliance seems to vary at different airports, though, so it's really a hit or miss situation.

5. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

6. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

US Speedskating claims that the TSA published a letter stating that ice skates are allowed as carryon, but I can't find that letter on the TSA website, only on USS' site.

http://www.usspeedskating.org/sites/default/files/SpeedSkates_Flyer.pdf

I usually fly with skates and always check them now; why haul them to/from the gate? I have no competition or show waiting for me at my destination; I'm either going to skate with friends, maybe coach a bit, or get my skates sharpened/adjusted. If they get lost/stolen en route, I have insurance and spare skates.

A skating friend told me a story recently: there was a woman on her flight who was going on and on about how important it was to keep her skates at hand, even on the plane/in the terminal. Turned out she was an LTS skater who was going to tourist-skate at Rock Center on her (dull) Jackson Glaciers with the dirty laces and no guards. :rolleyes:

Quote: "You'd have thought she was ******* Sasha Cohen, the way she carried on about her skates. Everyone at the Gate knew she 'was carrying' and she warned her seatmate about the sharp blades."

7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I used to carry on, but I no longer bother. It was too hit-or-miss, no matter what the rules actually are. So now, I check them, so I don't have to worry about it.

8. victoriajh

Would the airline know? I just don't want to get to the security check and be told no sorry!!!!

9. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

The airline may give you one answer, but the reality is, it will be up to the TSA. Although they are not banned, I have had instances where I had to check the skates and other instances where I was permitted to carry them through. My suggestion is to give it a try but allow yourself plenty of time if you have to go back and check them in.

10. victoriajh

thanks skatemomaz