Flowers In the Attic Movie-Lifetime

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by UGG, Nov 22, 2013.

1. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  2. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

loved the books also but hated the movie.

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

they stuck to the original plot this time

incest FTW!

4. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

hopefully they are hotter than the Folger's siblings

5. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Wait. . . so, there's already been a movie/movies of FITA??

That was like the most crack-addictive sick series when I was a teenager. The goriest ever car crash that you just CANNOT tear your gaze from. . .

aliceanne and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw the 1980s movie based on the book and must have read a couple more of the books but cannot remember. I do remember loving the movie but was a weeeee bit creeped out by it.

7. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Yes the movie was horrible. I remember being so disappointed when it came out-I think it came out early 90's.

8. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Yes, and the actress playing Cathy was none other than the :EVILLE: Skating With The Stars contestant Kristi Swanson :lol:.

ETA: UGG, it came out in 1987, right before Thanksgiving (I remember that clearly as my BFF and I had been looking forward to seeing it when she came home from college for Break -- we came out of the theatre feeling :huh: :blah: :rolleyes: :yawn: :mad: at the absolute turd of a movie we'd wasted two hours watching).

I was in HS when FITA (along with POTW, ITBT, SOY, and GOS) were published, and I read the damned things until they fell apart -- they were like biblio-crack. Looking back on it, I find it :rofl: :wall: and a bit :yikes: that, given the subject matter, such a large chunk of teenage girls and young adult women were obsessed with these books. My Mom had no clue what they were about; if she'd known, she would never have let me read them.

ETA: LilJen, here's the trailer for the original (craptastic) version:

Flowers in the Attic (1987)

...And here's the (very short) teaser/trailer for the Lifetime movie:

Flowers in the Attic (2014)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  9. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Yes, but it was awful. Don't even bother with it, especially if you liked the books. I had that whole VC Andrews series of books and am so mad at myself I gave them all away. :( Never give away your stuff when you are in a fit of rage and anger! You give away a lot of stuff you regret later.

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Ahhh, FITA...When I first came here and started a rude Amerikan high school, my new rude Amerikan friends gave me this book. The only thing I remember is the incest.

11. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I was so disappointed in that movie! I'd read the books so many times and was looking forward to seeing the first one as a movie, and I kept thinking that's not what happened or that doesn't make sense. That happens a lot with movies made from popular books. I still have all the Flowers books, including the prequel that explains how the grandmother became such a monster.

I remember going to see the movie based on the Danielle Steel book, The Promise. It's the first Danielle Steel I ever read and I loved it. The theater was totally packed, and they were moving people next to each other so that two people could sit together. In the movie, the characters didn't look anything like how they were described in the book, so it didn't make sense to the story that we had all read, and the movie was just bad, bad, bad. Everybody was complaining on the way out.

The movie based on the Stephen King book, Carrie, lived up to the book though - the one that was shown in theaters, not the later one that was made for t.v. And they are making another one?????????? Sheesh.

12. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Yeah, my ex-husband's ex-wife (huh?) would not let their daughter read the first one when she was about 14 or so, so I let her read mine. She didn't care about the subject matter, per se, damaging her daughter. But said daughter did not know that she herself was a product of her mother having sex with her sister's husband when she was 15. (Yeah, they were their own soap opera/sleazy book series!)

13. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Lousy book, probably a lousy movie. IMO, of course.

14. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks for starting the thread, UGG. I still have all of V.C. Andrew's books. If There Be Thorns was the third book in the series. Cathy and Chris were living together as a married couple. I just hope this latest movie will be better than the first one.

15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Ha, Flowers in the Attic and the sequels, along with Judy Blume's Forever (some graphic sex content) are the books our parents should never have let us read. . . and yet we did.

16. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

welcome to America!

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I had just commented a few days ago in the other book thread that I find it incredibly perplexing that my mother was the one who gave me the book when I was a teenager and, as she mentioned having read it herself, apparently knew what it was about. I'm still confused about it to this day, as my mother is fairly conservative around these kinds of things.

I haven't read the book in ages but I actually think the beginning section is really well done and my first time reading, I couldn't put the book down. The incest mostly just creeped me out, although that is probably what made the book a bestseller at the end of the day.

I think the book could make a good movie, but I somehow doubt that a Lifetime movie based on it will be good. It could end up being so bad that it is entertaining though.

18. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, Flowers in the Attic plus Lifetime. It's like a perfect storm of awfulness. :rofl:

Simone411, Cheylana, Kasey and 3 others like this.
  19. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

I loved those two books. I think my Mom was happy that I was reading but I don't think she knew what the books were about.

20. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

So are you watching Flowers in the Attic when it premieres?

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? A Facebook friend and I are already planning an EPIC snarking session. :D Previous snarkfests of ours have included Ripper Street and Mr. Selfridge, but THIS one . . . this will be the One Snark to Rule Them All. :EVILLE:

22. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I couldn't get enough of this book and v.c. andrewsw. It was intriguing to me when I was young and had to read the whole series. I then read more of her books and each was as incestous or nasty as the next. I don't know what my present self would think of them but i still have them so maybe i'll take a little look see and see if they stand the test of time. I know for a fact my mother had no clue what they were about, thank goodness, she was too busy reading her own trashy novels.

the movie was awful, just awful, but I think i'll probably tune it to see what this one's like.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

You know what? I am going to be watching because this is such a guilty pleasure. I hope you all will watch too and we could even have a pbp.

24. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Ok so one thing I have noticed so far is in the trailer, Cory does not have curly hair, or at least he does not look like he does. FAIL already.

I really hope they stick to the book- like in the first movie, the grandmother cut Cathy's hair, but in the book she put tar in it. And didn't they leave out the whole scene where Chris and Cathy are watching the Christmas party? Not to mention, the ending was NOT the ending of the book. Also-this may be hard to do but in the first movie the children all seemed the same age-like there was no "growth". I hope in this movie, you can tell Cathy goes from a naive 12 year old with a normal brother/sister relationship to a jaded 15 year old, wiser beyond her years, in love with her brother LOL. Not sure that would be able to be captured in a movie (and Lifetime at that) but it is a significant part of the story to show that what the mother did to them went beyond keeping them locked in a bedroom for 3 years. She totally psychologically screwed with their brains. I think that was missed the first time around. I have thought way too much about this haha.

25. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Also...I have always wondered if Flowers In The Attic was based on a true story...the fact that VC Andrews dedicated the book to her mother always made me wonder that LOL. Sometimes I think the story is wayyyy too messed up to be completely fictional.

I just googled and found THIS!

http://the-toast.net/2013/08/12/interview-with-ann-patty-editor-of-flowers-in-the-attic/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  26. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Not even the arsenic laced doughnuts or the ballet dancer with the broken feet?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that V.C. Andrews died and someone else continued the series - or was that another author?

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I remember reading My Sweet Audrina, too, and all the effed-up-ness of the whole story--repressed memories, the legless woman, the slutty older sister gleefully doin' it with the music teacher, the is he/is he not her boyfriend and did he rape her before. I don't know who got those books into the house. My mom, I guess, but would she admit to it now? I kind of doubt it.

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Nope. My memory is really bad and it's been quite a while.

I've read My Sweet Audrina as well and cannot remember a single thing about it. :eek:

29. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

That one had me so confused. I never even tried to re-read it.

30. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

After reading this thread, I was thinking that at least the first book might be good snowy day re-reading!