Flooding in SW Alberta and SE BC

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Inside the Saddledome...

The oilsands have nothing to do with the weather, and Fort MacMurray is probably an 8-10 hour drive north of Calgary.

The City of Calgary said (according to the Calgary Herald) that the downtown evacuation will likely last several days.

2. Really

More photos...

The view from the air...

The cause of the storm...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  3. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

4. Really

That looks like what they were showing on the Global Calgary website yesterday. Just incredible...

5. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

So sorry for this horrible flooding situation. Glad you and your family are safe, Really!!! Positive thoughts are will all Albertans.

6. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

That used to happen in Florida before/during/after hurricanes. Hotels/petrol/food staples/ice/water -all were priced sky high. The legislature passed a law that severely punishes businesses for price gouging during emergencies so it's not a big problem anymore .

7. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

It's a lovely thought, but double check before you send anything. All of the communities, including the City of Calgary, are asking people to NOT send donations, as they don't have the capacity to accept them. If you, or anyone else, would like to help, they're asking for monetary donations to the Red Cross.

8. Really

Daughter just posted that the road out of Turner Valley at Three Point Creek is "use at your own risk" -- the water levels have been varying across the road, and people with larger vehicles have been getting through.

9. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

10. Really

11. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

12. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

My grandparents and uncle live in Medicine Hat, fortunately in the higher areas. The South Saskatchewan was high when we were there visiting a month ago so the evacuation order isn't to shocking now. I have 2nd cousins who live outside of the city who could be affected by the Old Man River if it gets bad again. They were flooded out 3 years ago when they had all that rain.

13. missflick

missflick New Member

Yeah I have been away awhile from this site. Long story.

Anyway, my story. I went up to my sister's place in the NW on Thursday. Came back home that evening. (I live in the SE). No problem I thought. I watched the news for 2 hours, and then went on my computer to watch some shows. I heard, around 1:40 in the morning, an announcement "this is a mandatory evacuation". I thought it was from my TV downstairs. Then about 20 minutes later, a neighbour knocks on my door (and rings the doorbell too) to tell me to evacuate. Wow. She gave me a ride, as I had an exhausting day. So I spent the night in the Southland Leisure Centre, where the Red Cross had a major setup. I didn't sleep. I got a lift from my tenants (nice of them!) to my friend's house in the SW. Went to bed at 8 p.m. and slept for 12 hours. (I was awake for about 40). Today, I was listening to the news, and checking the websites, and found NOTHING about my community that was evacuated. It was like we didn't EXIST. So my friend's husband gave me a lift. My home is FINE. The neighbouring golf course was flooded though. But not badly. And the bike paths in my area are partially flooded. But since the Bow River is not near my home, it wasn't as bad as it was for others. (And I live in a VALLEY).

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  14. dardar1126

Twitter:

Momo still seems a little out of sorts...poor kitty! :cat:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  15. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

The saddledome is just wrecked... I can't believe the Flames President thinks that the concerts will still go on as scheduled. I'm supposed to go to the Dixie Chicks on July 9, but I have ZERO idea how that's going to happen with the images that I've seen... Just a disaster.

My heart is aching a little bit right now for everyone in Calgary for sure. My friend lives right on 17th Ave in the beltline is away on vacation right now, he says him and all of his friends don't really have homes to go back to, and that his parents house is under about 8 feet of water at the moment...

Downtown too is like a ghost town at the moment.

16. Really

Apparently that photo was a fake, but there have been other photos and videos released to the media that show the water damage to be very real. It has subsided a bit -- now only up to the 8th row of seats.

Daughter and family were able to get out of Turner Valley today, as the water at Millarville is low enough for trucks to get through. Some people in Calgary have been able to go back to their homes.

High River is just a mess -- the police are keeping everyone out of the town until everyone has been accounted for. There's also no power, and the water supply is certainly dicey. They're working on the sewage system. From what I've heard, a number of people completely lost their homes. It's so sad...

17. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Really - where is the water going to go? Obviously the water is going down now, but it needs to go somewhere...is the drainage system able to cope?

18. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

More power problems in Alberta - CBC Newsworld was reporting this morning that Banff and Lake Louise were without power. There was apparently an effort to release water at a hydroelectric station that went wrong. A substation was inundated but I believe that power has now been restored.

19. Really

Photos (real ones) from inside the Saddledome...

High River, Black Diamond, Turner Valley...we've camped many times in the campground at Black Diamond, but I wonder if the Lions will have the wherewithal to rebuild? It appears almost a third of the campground has washed away. There's something surreal about the guardrail still hanging across the Sheep River where the Decalta Road bridge used to be.

Comment from Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi...

Angleskates...I don't know where the water will go. It will, I presume, drain away as it can. There was so much rain, and it's been a rainy June anyways, so the ground is just saturated. The mayor of Calgary was saying they don't expect the downtown to open until probably Wednesday (but things can change). The Calgary Flames president said the damage to the event level of the 'Dome is just massive. The Stampede president said they're planning (hoping?) to be able to still start Stampede on July 5, but damn there's a lot of work to do before then to get Stampede Park ready to roll. Slowly, neighbourhoods affected by the flooding are being allowed back in to their homes, if nothing else, to survey the damage.

But, just like any community facing natural disaster, Calgary will pull through, as will High River, Canmore. The resiliency of human beings is quite remarkable.

20. dardar1126

WOW, those pix are amazing...and NOT in the good way! :eek:

21. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

22. dardar1126

Twitter:

23. dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  24. Artemis@BC

My apologies to Medicine Hat if my inadvertent "SE Alberta" instead of SW in the subject line in any way contributed to the flooding spreading your way. :eek:

25. dardar1126

Twitter:

:COP: And now a different kind of misery begins.... :bribe:

EDIT:

EDIT2:

EDIT3:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  26. dardar1126

Twitter:

27. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

It's interesting...CNN commented on this when they interviewed Nenshi. They asked why there isn't the mass hysteria you often see in the States when a natural disaster hits. He explained that people are just helping their neighbours. Of the 75,000-100,000 Calgarians who were displaced, only a very small percentage had to go to evacuation centers, because everyone else was taken in by friends, family, and strangers. I can't begin to count the number of Facebook and Twitter posts I saw from people offering their homes to anyone -- ANYONE -- who needed it. They asked for 600 volunteers to assemble at McMahon Stadium yesterday, and over 2000 showed up. Some places have had to turn volunteers away.

I'm headed to Calgary in a few days (had a trip planned before the flood), and will be helping out some friends, and who ever else needs it, while I'm there. I've been glued to the media coverage, so have seen all the pictures, but still imagine it will be quite something to see the damage in person.

28. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

29. dardar1126

Twitter:

30. Artemis@BC

I know, I know, it's not funny ... but part of me is highly amused at the thought of escaped hippos swimming in the Bow river. :lol: