Flooding in SW Alberta and SE BC

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

[can a mod change the thread title for me -- supposed to be SW Alberta and SE BC! :duh:]

Checking in with folks in that area -- everyone ok? I've been looking at some of the news footage as well as on Facebook from a friend in Calgary, and it looks pretty scary.

Just one of the many stories on this ...

2. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

3. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Here are some devastating photos and videos:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...ive-flooding-in-canmore-and-southern-alberta/

I was so taken with the story of Kevan and his cat Momo...soooooooooooooo glad they are both safe! :cat:

EDIT: The coverage said that this is a terrible conjunction of torrential rain and heavy snow melt. :(

EDIT2:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

The photos are frightening - is this an area that floods often? Go Momo!!

5. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

The Saddledome is under water... latest reports are that the water is up to row 10, the dressing rooms are flooded and the control & equipment rooms have been completely destroyed.

This is heartbreaking. So many people have lost so much already, and it looks like the worst isn't even over yet. The Bow River hasn't even crested yet - they expect it to rise by another 30 per cent.

6. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

Calgary is my "other" hometown. I lived there for 10 years and just moved away. Several of my friends have been evacuated from affected areas. You can follow #yycflood, #yyc, #yychelps, and #abflood for news on Twitter. Here are a few links with photos and news:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/alberta/
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fifsxl9tuslqege/52c2GQ0WEN

Also, some news outlets have been reporting that the big cats from the zoo have been moved to the cells in the courthouse, because the zoo has flooded. This is apparently false (the courthouse part, not the flooding part), though has been discussed as a possible contingency plan.

I found out from Twitter that an acquaintance of an acquaintance drowned trying to escape the flooding in High River. Heartbreaking.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  7. luna_skater

Here are some Tweets about the 'Dome via @ericfrancis:

"BREAKING: Water is up to row 10 at Saddledome. Dressing rooms completely submerged. Jumbotron rm & all equipment destroyed. #yycflood #NHL"

"So much history destroyed at the Dome including massive championship team photo from 1989 signed by most players. #yycflood"

"The Flames were close to announcing plans for new arena. The massive flooding of the Dome (up to row 10) will now play a role in discussion"

8. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Now it's at row 15........what a heartbreaker. The stampede was scheduled to start in two weeks.

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

My thoughts and prayers to all those affected. I have been watching in tv and the scenes are unbelievable.

10. dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT:

EDIT2:

11. luna_skater

Mayor Nenshi is determined it will go ahead, but I really don't know what they plan to do about the 'Dome. Latest reports have water up to the luxury boxes. I'll be shocked if they don't demolish it (which they've been talking about doing anyway).

12. dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT:

13. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to my fellow Albertans in the southern part of our beautiful province. It's hard to believe that so many places I know so well are now under water. Heartbreaking.

14. dardar1126

Twitter:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

How terrible this is.
    Thoughts and prayers to all in the areas affected,

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Isn't Lee (Really) from Alberta? Is she okay?

17. WildRose

Tweet from Kurt Browning:

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I have all my important stuff packed and in my car which is moved to safety. But I'm ok, and pretty sure the worst of it is done for where I am unless the weather goes crazy again.

19. dardar1126

Twitter:

20. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

IIRC, Lee is safely north of the floods.

21. dardar1126

22. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

First...Thoughts and prayers to all those affected. The Flames fan in me is heartbroken to hear about the damage at the Saddledome and the loss of some of history of those magical years in the 80's and 90's and the 89 Stanley Cup. Even worse is the loss of so many homes and those who have lost everything. I was hoping no one would lose their life during, but sadly that isn't the case.

Glad to see our FSU friends are okay and accounted for.

Now and secondly...There has been no word from my Cousins in Calgary. We're hoping they were just in such a hurry to get out they haven't had a chance to contact his Mom yet, but that hadn't happened as of 10pm EST, so understandably we're more than worried.

I'm going to assume there's going to be a huge need for clothing, as well as other needs, so knowing our church I've already dug out my hat, gloves, mitts, socks and Teddy Bear crochet and knitting patterns that that come together really fast. Anyone else who does the same should be getting busy this weekend. Even though it's Summer now, many have lost everything, so it wouldn't be a bad thing to also make things for Winter too. Regardless, they'll need everything and anything.

I still can't believe the pictures. I mean...It looks like something from the Monsoon Season in Asia. Not somewhere in Canada. :(

23. dardar1126

I understand your concern about your cousins. The articles did say that there were massive power outages, and that cell service was overloaded and spotty at best; also without power, no ability to charge a dead battery. I hope you get good news soon!

24. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I'm fine. My daughter and her family, and my mother-in-law are trapped in Turner Valley, about a half hour southwest of Calgary, along the Sheep River. The bridge on the road south of town is gone, and the bridge on the road between Turner Valley and Black Diamond is also history. The other road out of town goes north, but is closed at Millarville, where Three Point Creek has blown its banks. Fortunately, a sour gas leak at the historic gas plant in Turner Valley was contained quickly. When it first happened yesterday, my granddaughter's daycare (along with the rest of the area in the vicinity) was evacuated. I'm thinking, from the photos I've seen, the road at Three Point Creek will likely be open first, but I don't know if the bridge there has also washed out like the other two or not. If they don't get something open soon, they're going to have to get food into the community because there aren't even any side roads people can use to get out of town to get groceries. There will be people who need medication...all kinds of things. Turner Valley really is a bedroom community with a few coffee shops and restaurants, the price-gouging store, and not much else. The saving grace for my family is that they still have power and water -- for now. I'm not sure where their water supply comes from; there's a boil water order in Black Diamond as their water treatment facility was under water.

For as much as there are so many people doing so many wonderful things, there are still assholes...the store in Turner Valley is apparently charging $5 for a loaf of bread. And a liquor store in the SE community of Queensland was charging $20 for a bag of ice. That photo has been splashed all over Facebook.

All the schools in the Foothills School Division (Okotoks, High River, Black Diamond, Turner Valley, etc) have been shut down for the rest of the year because the FSD head offices are in High River and have been completely swamped, including their communications and networking hub. High River is a mess. BD's prenatal care is there, but that won't be happening for awhile now. A report I read earlier said approximately 6000 of the 10,000 people in the town evacuated to neighbouring communities.

The photos coming out of Calgary are mind-boggling. The well-being of the people is the ultimate priority, but the Calgary Stampede has such a huge economic impact on the city that to not have it will just be adding insult to injury for so many businesses.

As I was driving north on Hwy 2 after work today, I saw a convoy of Cdn Armed Forces vehicles heading south.

I live about 45 minutes northwest of Red Deer. The Red Deer River has risen and there is some localized flooding, but nothing even close to what Calgary and south of there (and Canmore) are facing. The rainfall warning for the Kananaskis region (just west of Turner Valley) just ended, so there is still more water in those headwaters that will be coming down.

If you pray, pray for those in the affected areas. If you don't pray, send good thoughts. There are many folks out there who are going to need it. I can't do a damn thing to help my family, but I did donate to the Canadian Red Cross Alberta Flood Relief effort.

ETA: Donations have been pouring into the affected communities. The Town of Black Diamond posted on Facebook that they have no more room for donations -- they're hugely grateful for what they have received, but they've filled their local community centre and have nowhere else to put donations.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  25. WildRose

According to Global TV they are expecting 10,000 people to be evacuated in the city of Medicine Hat by 10:00 am tomorrow.

26. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Glad to hear you're okay! I was wondering about you.

27. dardar1126

Twitter:

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Saw some footage of the floods on TV. It looked scary. I love Calgary, and I will always remember my visit there in 2006. I hope they can recover from this disaster. I am wondering if the cause may be somehow related to ecological issues because of the sand oil they have been producing there? I used to know a couple that lived in Calgary when I visited there, but I know there are not there at the moment. I hope all the fsuers are safe.

29. WildRose

The oil sands aren't anywhere near Calgary, they are in the far northern part of the province. This was caused by a combination of heavy rain and spring run off in the Rockies. The rain caused the snow in the mountains to melt rapidly creating flash flooding. Southern Alberta has always had problems with flooding in the late spring - but this time it's worse because it was combined with a heavy rainfall - it's a once in every 100 years type of natural disaster.

30. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Finally heard from our daughter late last night, she did make it into work and she is still in downtown Calgary, she works at the Delta Bow. They have emergency generators and the hotel itself isn't flooded, but it must be lapping at the doors from the pictures. She said it was a wild and crazy day at work as most people couldn't make it in. She'll know this morning if they can make it out of the hotel. My sil and her husband live in Medicine Hat, we'll see how that goes.

What a tragedy. My heart goes out to all the people affected by this.