Flooding in Nashville, TN

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Nan, May 5, 2010.

1. Nan

Nan Just me

2. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Great link. :respec:

I can't imagine what it must have been like to be stuck in the traffic and not be able to go anywhere or do anything about it. :(

These areas won't have flood insurance which will really hurt people who need to start over. I have a few friends in Nashville that are really suffering because of this flood. It's not a good day to come home and find your dog swimming through your living room trying to stay above the water.

3. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I lived there for 20 years... most of my friends are OK, but a few are in BIG trouble. One woman had 7 feet in her living room. Because of the mold etc you get quickly in the south her entire home is a loss. No insurance. :(

Just a note, having "been there and done that" when we had flooding in Atlanta. Even if you think you don't need it buy Flood Insurance. For me it's $100 a year. (And I figure it means I will never flood again now that I have it....small cost to pay) I live NO where near any water source at all. So "conceivably" should only mean "there's water falling faster then the ground can take it" which could happen to most of us.

4. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

We've also been blessed/cursed with hot, sunny weather since the rain stopped on Sunday night, which is going to speed up mold growth.
    The devastation here is really sad to see. I live in a part of town that sustained little damage but downtown and some of the other parts of the county are still underwater.

5. Sk8Kate

Sk8Kate New Member

I am going to be visiting Nashville next week (a trip that was planned weeks before any of the flooding happened). I'm anticipating that a lot of the places I wanted to go to are not going to be open or accessible, which is fine by me, as I've visited before and will visit again. And I also imagine that it's hard to know exactly what sort of state the city will be in a week from now.

That said, are there places that need volunteers? Or a place where I can donate supplies? Do you think I could contact the Red Cross to sign up to help for a day? I'm there largely for a vacation but I feel like it would be the right thing to do to help out...

6. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

The buzz I hear is that Hands On Nashville (www.hon.org) is the best volunteer group to contact if you want to help out.

7. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

8. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of businesses trying to reschedule seminars because of the flooding. We are already booked up here and can't take anymore.

9. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

As a side, isn't Nashville the winning bidder of the 2011 Eastern Great Lakes Regionals? How is the ice rink? Will this affect USFS regionals comp?

10. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Well I was going to say "the rink probably wasn't effected" but then I remembered seeing a photo of the parking lot of the mall very close to the Franklin rink......so who knows if they had damage.

I thought this was at the rink in Franklin, TN (south of the city) but thier webpage has been turned off??? Not a clue what's going on there now. There are some Nashville skaters on here hopefullly they know.