Flight Attendants Swears at Passenger over Loudspeaker...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Aug 10, 2010.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Good grief, he just drove home?!!??

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

LOL! Sounds like he just had enough!

4. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

This is funny.

5. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

The grabbing a few beers before sliding down the chute was what really got me. :rofl:

But, EYS, I also hate it when passengers get up to get their bags out of the bins before the "fasten seat belt" sign has been turned off... or before the plane has even stopped moving. Not sure about this particular case, but even if you have a tight connection, it's usually not worth the extra effort to jockey for position, especially if you're far back in the plane, will have to wait a while, and will be one of the last to get off anyway.

6. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

:D

And I'll bet he feels like a complete fool for allowing the stress of whatever it was that made his day such a bad one get to him. Aside from being charged and punished, and losing his job, his friends and family are going to be jibing him about this for the rest of his life.

7. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I remember quitting a job like this years and years ago. Only I didn't have the opportunity to grab a beer and slide down a chute like this lucky bastard. :lol:

Would have made the entire memory so much more :drama: and a much better story to tell.

8. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I hope the passenger is detained as well. As for the flight attendant, well, after twelve years in customer service jobs myself, I totally understand why he finally lost it.

I just wish I'd grabbed some beers on my way out as well. :40beers:

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Yep, I think the passenger that refused to follow order should be fined or charged with something also. I bet you if we still have air marshal flying on planes, the passenger would've sat his behind right back down pronto.

I can understand the flight attendant losing his/her cool with the passenger but to inflate the emergency chute, slid down it and jumped into his car and drove away? Yikes. That's some mental issue right there, LOL. I guess his flight attendant days are over.

WindSpirit and (deleted member) like this.
  10. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Well, at least the plane was on the ground when he flipped out and popped the emergency chute. Grabbing the beers on the way out was a nice touch, though. :40beers: Hope he had a chance to enjoy them before he was arrested.

I once quit a job like that -- I arrived at my office at 8:06, thoroughly wet and bedraggled after trudging to work about a mile through a heavy snowfall. My boss greeted me with "Good afternoon, skatingfan5" in a voice dripping with sarcasm. She then followed me as I went to hang up my snow covered hat, coat, muffler, mittens and delivered the last straw by uttering "You know we start work at 8 o'clock, don't you?". I snapped and said, "If you want me to quit, just say so. In fact, you don't even have to say so, I QUIT!!!!" I put on my coat and stomped out with her trailing behind saying "Wait! You don't want to act precipitously!" (She actually said precipitously :lol:). My roommate couldn't figure out why I was back home before 8:30 but it really felt good to quit that job. I worked there just over a year -- in the following year they had 4 people in my old position -- one of whom lasted exactly one week. :lol: Obviously, it was not the ideal job for anyone.

11. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I believe that his mother is also terminally ill and doesn't have much longer to live. That might have been yet another mitigating circumstance.

12. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

And he was hit in the head, you can see an abrasion on his right forehead. They are not sure if the passenger hit him with the luggage or he was hit by the overhead door, but still. I guess I can see why he was arrested, he shouldn't have released the emergency chute, but reckless endangerment? They were on the ground. The flight attendant was trying to maintain safety by telling this passenger to stop what he was doing.

The only thing reckless about this, that I see, is that, in this economy he just gave up a job.

13. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

The "reckless endangerment" is because releasing the chute could have had very bad consequences if someone (ground crew, etc.) were beneath it. Even though he definitely took things much too far, I can see how he may have been at the end of his rope, especially after being hit in the head by the luggage or door caused by the non-compliant passenger's actions.

14. cruisin

Yeah, that makes sense. I wasn't thinking about those on the ground.

15. emason

emason Well-Known Member

That's the real issue; this guy had no way of knowing if anyone was directly under the chute when he opened it. If there had been someone there, they could have been killed.

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/10/jetblue-attendant-held-on-bail-as-his-lawyer-offers-details-of-flight/?hp

I love that he publicly cursed out the passenger - if she deserved it.

For the most part I'm on Mr. Slater side, but this excuse from the lawyer is just stupid. I'm often frustrated by the slow process of people deboarding a plane, but I can't just deploy the emergency chute and slide down on it simply, because "it was righ there."

17. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

Now there's a man who knows how to make a dramatic exit! ROFL

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love that he "bid passengers goodbye". :rofl:

19. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

I keep picturing this as his version of a "board suicide" like we have seen here from time to time. :drama:

cholla and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I have empathy for the flight attendant as well. I've done plenty of flying lately and I always feel bad for them with all of the sh*t they have to put up with from bitchy passengers. Too many passengers take out their airline frustrations on flight attendants who almost always have nothing to do with the airline rules, delays, etc. I always try to be extra nice to the flight attendants on my flights because it's almost certain there are several jackasses on the flight who deserve to be shoved out the door and allowed to plummet to their deaths. I hope the lady that ignored this man's instructions and cursed him out is also taken to court & fined heavily.

21. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

OTOH, I hate that flight attendants do not enforce the airline's rules about carry-on bags. On a flight a few weeks ago there was one woman who put THREE bags in the overhead bins at the front of the plane, and walked to her seat near the back. The flight was (of course) delayed by the need to check bags when people who boarded later didn't have room for even one bag overhead.

22. cruisin

I hope so too. But since we haven't heard anything about her being detained or picked up, I doubt anything will happen. She deserves it though.

I don't really blame the flight attendants for that. Theoretically that is supposed to be done at check in. When you check in, they take your checked baggage (if you have any) and are supposed to ask what you are carrying on the plane. They, then, are supposed to determine if the bags are too big or if you have more than you are allowed. Some airlines are much better at handling this than others. Even security is supposed to keep an eye on how many bags and the size of bags you are taking on the plane. By the time the bags are carried onto the plane the attendants probably figure they've been approved. The real problem is people who take advantage. People, who just don't care about rules or other passengers. People who think they're special.

23. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I think on most airlines, if you bring excessive carryons (even if you got them past checkin and security) the flight attendants can require you to check the ones that are over the limit. But most airlines are so tightly scheduled that probably the flight attendants' main priority is to get everyone into their seats so the plane can leave on time.

24. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

That drives me nuts when the people in the back put their bags in the front compartments. If they're too heavy to carry back to your part of the plane, don't bring them on board! It just delays the flight more because the people in the front seats have to either check (as stated) or climb to the back to find a spot/retrieve their bags.

I think part of the blame for that lapse in the rules belongs with the gate attendants for letting them on board with more than the allowed pieces. The flight attendants have to balance taking off on time against dealing with an irrational flyer like the one who clocked Mr. Slater.

25. Winnipeg

Winnipeg Well-Known Member

ITA :mad: I can't stand it either

26. cruisin

Yes, I'm sure that is part of it as well. They are distracted by doing what they are actually supposed to do :D.

I don't know that it is necessarily that the bags are too heavy to carry back. I think many people just put their bags in the first empty compartments they find. They are concerned that the ones further back are full and they want to get their stuff in.

Yes, but I think 99% of the blame is the passengers. They just don't care about other people.

27. Winnipeg

Winnipeg Well-Known Member

People who get up before the plane docks..............:lynch::lynch:what idiots. Everyone knows you are not supposed to do this and really, you will save no time in the end so why do it????

This gy will really have a great story to tell after he gets a new job. Or, maybe they won't fire him given the situation.

28. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm pretty sure he's a goner.

29. cruisin

With all of this publicity, he's probably never going to get a job in the airline industry again.

30. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I've done "early boarding" a few times and watched as jerks with two bags get on the plane, open the forward compartments (even dumping out the pillows/blankets to make room), shove their stuff in and waltz down the aisle to the back of the most-empty plane. They're not concerned - they're selfish.