Flesh colored material for dress

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by waltz_jump, Jun 9, 2010.

1. waltz_jump

waltz_jump New Member

I'm testing soon, and I'm wearing a black halter style dress. I am not big chested at all (hence why I could get away with such dress)...in fact I am really flat in that area...anyway I just realized that one of my elements for pre-bronze FS is a spiral...lol I have a pretty good one hence I am picking it instead of a lunge... and although there ain't "nothing to see" in the chest area of my body I figured I should cover it up more so I want to patch up my dress with that flesh/nude colored material they use for dresses. Can I get those at regular fabric stores, like Joanne Fabric?

Otherwise I guess I'll have to do a lunge or I do my spiral right after I skate past the judges LoL.

2. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

I usually use nude mesh for this purpose, and you can't usually get that at a regular fabric store. (Doesn't hurt to look, though.) They will usually have flesh colored swimsuit lining material, which might work depending on whether it matches your skin tone well enough. It will be more opaque, and will be more obvious. I get mesh either from a specialty fabric store in the Chicago area, or by mail order from Texas (that has a one-yard minimum, though, and shipping costs, of course).

3. southernskater

southernskater New Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen nude mesh in the swim/dance section of Joann's, or you could buy a skin colored leotard to wear underneth.

4. Sk8Kate

Sk8Kate New Member

If you find "power-mesh" in white, you can use coffee or tea to dye it to your flesh tone. We always had trouble finding nude mesh, so this trick was an easy and cheap fix.

5. waltz_jump

waltz_jump New Member

Thanks everyone. I had trouble finding the flesh fabric in my tone in the stores around our area. I asked around also and it seems like the best bet was to order online but I didnt want to risk not getting the order in time. I took southernskater's advice and bought a Capezio nude colored tank leotard (in my tone) from a dance store and it works :) Cost me $19 but I figured I'll wear it again anyway. it has removable nude straps. Haven't decided yet if i'll keep the straps, or remove them and just safety pin the sides of the leotard to my dress to make sure the top stays. They had nude leotards with clear straps but not in my size and/or skin tone, and that' what i wanted originally!

6. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

Check back at your Joanne Fabrics - mine carries replacement clear straps. You could just swap them out for the nude ones if you wanted.

7. waltz_jump

waltz_jump New Member

Thanks Clarice! I'll do that this weekend. Didn't even think to look for clear straps there.

8. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

As noted above - the "flesh" or nude tone leotards, long sleeved, up to the neckline, with matching leggings and tights - might be worn underneath a skin-baring skate dress.

Dancewear sites have a lot more choices than skate costume sites, in many more sizes.

When I was searching I found lots of places marketing towards dance teams, gymnasts, cheerleaders...all ages, up to collegiate and professional.

9. learningtofly

learningtofly New Member

I remember skating in shows a while back and the management had the costumes for one number made in a very stretchy material, all the same size. This was a very bad idea, since we ranged from 12 year-olds with nothing to show, to 19 year-olds with a lot more. Even with sticky clothes tape, I know mine were very close to bouncing out, since we were not allowed to wear bras.

We solved it by using beige stockings, folding them double and then sowing them to the back of the openings on the dresses. Color was good, and even though the job was not super-professional, it was a good emergency solution that saved a lot of embarrassment.

10. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Or you can try the punk rock variation, what I did with my shredded or black fishnet tights...

1) Take one pair of "flesh" colored tights or hose
    2) Cut off the toes
    3) Carefully cut out the crotch, leaving the elastic *on* -
    4) Trim away waistband as necessary
    5) Remainder is a cropped, longsleeve pullover shirt.

-"rebel, rebel, you've torn your tights"