Flatt has a new SP

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by 10J, Jan 13, 2011.

1. 10J

10J New Member

According to Lynn Rutherford and Sarah and Drew on twitter, Rachael's new SP is to East of Eden.

We'll have to wait til Nationals to see, but I associates that music so much with Michelle Kwan, I hope Flatt can do that music justice.

2. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Great minds think alike! Please see my post 1 minute before yours! :lol:

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  4. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm not one of those who believes a a skater OWNS a specific piece of music but having said that, on what planet is this a good idea? Did Lori Nichol lose her mind?

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Oh dear. Well, I hope that the music inspires Rachael to skate well, but I really fear that whatever she does will be compared quite unfavorably to Michelle's performances to this, whether SP or exhibition. It's been a dozen years since Michelle won the World Pro competition skating to East of Eden and a decade since her Nationals and Worlds SP's, but the memories are still quite vivid for me. I wish Rachael well, but wonder at her making this music choice.

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

her team seems hell bent on finding music that points out her weaknesses as opposed to her strengths

8. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

:rofl:

9. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Has Lori had an original idea since Michelle left her? She seems determined to use all of Michelle's music on other skaters.

10. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Well, using "Schez" for Evan didn't do him any harm, so maybe, Lori thought that other "Michelle music" would have a similar effect with other skaters?

11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

The only pieces that Lori has done recently that work are those she's done for Asada. Otherwise, her work is total snoozeville.

12. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I don't normally subscribe to the notion that any skater owns a piece of music, either, but, to my mind, Michelle's skates to EoE at the World Pros and 2001 Nationals simply cannot be bettered. There's not a thing I would change about the way those programs were performed, so Rachael would automatically compare unfavorably skating to the same music. There's not much variation in the piece, either, so if Rachael is skating only to cuts of EoE, she'd more or less be skating to the same sections as Michelle did.

In any case, it's heartening to see that Lori still retains her eclectic music tastes as a choreographer.

13. DuckLikesSkate

DuckLikesSkate New Member

Oh, dear, I was holding out hope that it was music from the 1955 James Dean movie instead of the Lee Holdridge work that Michelle Kwan used, but Flatt's bio on icenetwork confirms that it is indeed the Holdridge piece. This is a huge mistake.

14. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. I know that a piece of music isn't "owned" by a skater, but does Rachael's team really want the inevitable comparisons made especially with the judges? EOE wasn't my favorite of Kwan's, but it is considered to be one of her most memorable ones. I wish Rachael the best next week, but I'm thinking this move is not a good one.

15. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

My concern is why is Racheal debuting a new SP right before Nationals.
    Wishing her good luck but......

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

even if Michelle never used it, this piece of music screams "lyrical." there is nothing wrong with not being a lyrical skater. but i can't see how this can end well for rachael.

17. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

But Schez is not considered to be one of MK's best programs. And so many other skaters have used it (including Yu-Na Kim the season before ;)) that there wasn't anything definitive for Evan to be compared to. When fans and judges think of/hear EOE, MK's program is likely the first thing that comes to mind.

18. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Actually, "Schez" was Linda Fratianne's music.

19. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

When I think of it, I think of John Curry. I think Frank Carroll forced Shez on Michelle.

20. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

How can a new music, no matter which it is, improve the quality of Rachael's skating?

21. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

Hasn't it been 10 years since Michelle has used the music? I don't see what the big deal is other than the inevitable comparisons. Who knows, maybe Flatt will make it her own? It's a pretty piece of music that works well for skating.

22. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Also, Sarah Kawahara choreographed Michelle's Schez.

23. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

24. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Bad news: Gee, how "original" (not). :hat1:

Good news: I don't think that she'll have an opportunity to fan herself -- or make other cutesy moves -- with this. :lol:

25. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I can't help but think that it will draw very, very unfavorable comparisons. Even Kwan had to adjust EoE to handle technical requirements of the SP -- and I'd say that the SP version wasn't nearly as nice as the World Pro version that gave her time to really emphasize all of the edge moves. And now with even more required in the way of an SP -- and without a spiral sequence -- I'm not optimistic.

Put this in the , "what were they thinking?" category. Ugh.

26. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with her (or anyone else) re-using music. Would people rather the ISU institute a policy that once a skaters use a piece of music it should be retired and never used again? That is silly. Especially since it's been sssooooooo long since MK used it; I thing skaters should take into consideration if it's been a year or two......but I think RF is fine.

27. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

There's no way Rachael can pull off East of Eden... :eek:

She simply doesn't have the grace to pull off music like that... I'm hoping she's going to prove me wrong, but I don't think so...

28. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Lori also didn't choreograph Michelle's "Schez" program, and it's not like a ton of other skaters hadn't used the music as well. Actually I think "Schez" was the start of the Michelle using a lot of over-used music sadly. (And I'm a huge MK fan.)

Although my initial reaction is that it isn't a great choice, the fact remains that programs look so different under CoP than under 6.0 that other than the music they shouldn't be very similar. And Lori Nichol's programs for Kostner this season (I skater I haven't liked too much in the past) are really wonderful. (So, sorry if I disagree with you oleada.)

For Rachel I think the biggest challenge is not so much interpreting the lyricism of the music as to how well she has recovered from her injuries that have plagued her earlier in the season.

29. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I agree. Skaters can choose whatever music they want. If the last program was an attempt to showcase Rachael's personality and that didn't work, then I see getting a different piece of music. However, East of Eden is the last music I would pick for Rachael. I actually believe that something bigger, more dynamic, maybe along the lines of something Slutskaya used could work for Rachael. I think she needs to let go of the idea of the bubbly or ethereal programs.

30. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I totally think of John Curry whenever I hear Scheherazade. He owns it, IMO.

Lori Nichol hasn't had a standout work of choreography since she worked with Michelle. She was really her muse. Didn't Yoshie Onda skate to the "Red Violin" a couple seasons back? Talk about recycling.