Flat Iron (for hair) Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, May 10, 2010.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Maybe this should be in the "glamour puss" thread (admins please move if so). I'm looking for suggestions for a good flat iron for fairly wiry and coarse hair. I'm really hoping not to have to pay $200 or so for the salon-quality ceramic/tourmaline ones. Thanks!

2. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I have a Chi and they are pricy, but sooo worth it. Try looking at an outlet place like Winners or TJ Maxx, I got mine there for about 75 bucks.

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

The chi is soooo worth it! It makes a huge difference with my hair. I can't see myself using anything lesser. I've had mine close to 4 years and only recently had issues with some of the cables, which my nerdy engineering ex fixed pretty easily :) You might try Ebay or Amazon for lower prices. I got mine for about $85 or so.

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I have one of those more expensive ceramic flat irons and it works quite well. I had one of the cheaper irons before and it did not work for me at all.

5. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Does anyone use the Instyler? I see that they are at Walgreens now....

6. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet Well-Known Member

7. Colleen

Colleen Member

I've gone through a few flat irons, and my advice is - buy the best one you can afford, preferably a professional one through a salon. I just bought an ion straightener through my hairdresser and it's a miracle - turns my coarse, frizzy curls into straight shiny hair in just a few minutes. I also have one by Rusk which is great (just takes a little longer than the new one). Look for one with the highest temperature your hair can tolerate (my new one goes to 400F).

My hair stays straight all day long, even in our West Coast rain forest. I think whoever invented the flat iron should be nominated for the Nobel prize!

8. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

i LOVE my Chi! it's the best thing i have ever bought for my hair.

9. dramagrrl

dramagrrl Active Member

If you have thick, coarse hair, FHI variable temperature flatirons are a godsend. I've seen them at Winners (the Canadian equivalent of TJ Maxx/Marshalls) sometimes for as low at $70, so you could check places like that.

10. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

i have a revlon one..my hair is fine and i have lots of it. i liked this particular model because you go straighten it from wet or damp hair. If it saves me a step its worth it. It wasnt expensive as i wasnt sure if I even would like a straightener.

11. slicekw

slicekw #FixingTheInternet

I bought a Chi because the glamour puss II thread recommended it. $75 at Ulta. Wow! beats my old $45 Revlon.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

For me... Chi. There simply is no rival.

13. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

14. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I would pay the money and get a professional one. My hair is wavy and fine, not course and wiry, and my cheap one struggles.

Flatmate has a GHD one and it's :swoon:

15. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I love my Fhi!! Less money than a Chi but works fab!

16. silverstars

silverstars New Member

If you have coarse hair, go for the Chi. I recently bought one, and it's totally worth the money.

17. Twilight1

Interesting, I have coarse hair and my Fhi works great and is more than $100 less than a Chi.

18. silverstars

silverstars New Member

:confused: My Chi cost around $100, as were most of the others that I saw in Ulta. Unless they recently had a very big price turnaround, I think that Fhi, at least the ones that I've seen, tends to be similarly priced.

19. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

my Chi was also $100 bucks. worth every penny.

20. Twilight1

Wow...around here a Chi is usually $100 more. I bought my Fhi for about $75. I see Chi's being sold on sale for $150 but they are usually between $175- $200

21. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

i don't know what the exchange rate is right now, but mine was $100 American. Canadian might me higher because of the exchange?