FlashForward - The Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by HeatherC, Sep 25, 2009.

1. jayta

jayta New Member

The premiere seemed slow and as much as the actors seem really good. I'm not feeling this show. I've got a list of tv shows timer recorded and so far this has not looked good enough to make it a 'must see'.

2. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

From epguides.com:

Joseph Fiennes as Mark Benford
    John Cho as Demetri Noh
    Jack Davenport as Lloyd Simcoe
    Courtney B. Vance as Stan Wedeck
    Sonya Walger as Olivia Benford (Penelope Woodward on Lost)
    Brian O'Byrne as Aaron Stark
    Christine Woods as Janis Hawk
    Zachary Knighton as Bryce Varley
    Peyton List as Nicole Kirby

:)

3. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I thought about that, but his FF would have had to be with someone other than Olivia and his father, since they never exchanged words during Olivia's FF. Her name was never mentioned.

My initial thought was that maybe the boy knew who she was because he had been treated by her, but that would have required that his FF included both a photo (so he would be able to recognize her) AND someone using her first name (since he knew to call her "Olivia" and not "Dr. Bedford."

The whole Olivia/Lloyd relationship is a bit of a paradox. Presumably, they only meet because of the Flash Forward, because it caused the accident that injured Dylan. So the fact that the Flash Forward occurred is incorporated into the future events that people see. (The same is true for Mark's Flash Forward, since he saw his investigation of the FF events.) For some reason, I find that a very intriguing element of the show.

4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

First: the doll factory was creepy!

Good episode. What we learned: The kids know each other. Dimitry is going to be murdered (that would be unsettling). D Gibbons may or may not be female. The girl kid says he's a bad man. D. Gibbons was on the phone with the guy in the stadium during the blackout.

FBI boss had to do CPR on the guy who was drowning in the urinal.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Very interesting to think about the fact that a lot of peoples future is dependent on the blackouts happening in the first place. Is this a way to control what happens in the future? Interesting to think about, kind of a mind feck if you ask me.

6. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

Thanks Peter. I was meaning to look up character names later on imdb so you saved me a trip.

I thought this episode was even better than the debut. The story picked up and moved a bit faster this week. The one thing I can see that FlashForward does have in common with Lost are all the mysteries that keep you guessing. And the fact that each question is followed by another and another.

If the woman who called Demetri was correct in stating that he dies, it makes me wonder what's up with his girlfriend. She said that he was at their wedding. It's possible that their wedding takes place before next March.

Poor Wedek. He was on the toilet when he blacked out, six months from now he'll be on the toilet and then has to give mouth to mouth to someone who was drowning in the toilet. For his sake I hope that has no significance. :lol:

I'm not sure if this would be considered a spoiler....

On another message board it was discussed that Dominic Monaghan 's character and Lloyd might know something about or helped to cause the flashforward (probably because in the book I believe Lloyd caused it). At first I thought perhaps the person in the stadium was Llyod but the description of the height and weight of the person in the stadium makes me wonder if it was Dominic's character. 5'8" and 150 pounds.

From what I've read, Dominic's character shows up in the sixth episode.

The relationship between Olivia/Llyod and their children has me scratching my head. Olivia was with Llyod yet Llyod doesn't know her but his son knows Olivia and Olivia's daughter recognized Llyod's son. At the moment I agree with Olivia's guess that Llyod hadn't turned completely to face her during her flashforward so it makes sense why Lloyd didn't recognize her. Lloyd may only know that in his flashforward (if he had one) he was in a livingroom with a woman upstairs behind him. OTOH, he could be lying.

I also wonder how many people could be lying about what they saw if they saw anything.

7. BigB08822

Well the wedding shouldn't be before April 29th because everyone supposedly had a vision of the exact same day and time. So if she saw him at their wedding then the wedding would be taking place on that day and at that time. Maybe she saw herself mourning his death and she is trying to save him the pain of knowing he will die soon?

As for Wedek. Well he wont be giving mouth to mouth to that guy in the future. The way I understood it was that that happened after the blackout. The guy must have blacked out while urinating and fell face first into the urinal. In the future he was just on the toilet reading the paper, haha.

8. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Oh I realize that Wedek gave mouth to mouth in the present after he awakened from his flashforward. I just thought it was funny that the toilet seems to be a recurring theme with poor Wedek. Especially when mostly everyone else's flashforwards seem to be of some significant event in the future.

Good point about Demetri's wedding.

9. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Interesting episode, not sure how I feel about this show. A few things that are gnawing at me.

Cho's fiance saw their wedding, but are any of the the fbi folks at the wedding for him? or an elopement?
    why was the fbi lady getting a sonogram @ 10pm, unless she is in an emergency room?
    ditto to the little boy knowing the dr.

Also the stupidest comment at the doll factory - they seemed stunned that someone else is investigating the cause of the flash forward? wtf? There are over 6 billion folks on the this planet and I think many would be looking into it.

Courtney Vance's character - I think he will become my fav, sort of like Hurley, for comic relief. And refreshing as this actor is not the person I would think that role for, I see him L&O SVU.

10. missflick

missflick New Member

Loved this episode! For a minute there, I thought Noh shot the female cop...weird angle.

11. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Loving it! Will every episode end with my mouth wide open in shock?

And why March 15, 2010? It's a Monday, a week before Worlds. Is ABC gonna move the show after Dancing With the Stars?

Do we know the date of the wedding? For all we know, it could take place in, say, February, and the wife was watching a video of the wedding on April 29/10 at 10pm. We won't know til we actually see the episode that features the wife.

The pregnant FBI agent may be in a different part of the world, so it wouldn't be 10pm wherever she is. We don't know where that blonde doctor lives.

Also, Charlie's flashforward features the boy and D. Gibbons. The boy's flashforward features Olivia. Olivia's flashforward features Matt Damon's boyfriend. I have no idea how to connect all that.

12. rfisher

Mark and Olivia's marriage demise is becoming self-fulling. He's pulling back from her. The opening shot in the playgound was chilling.

And I too wonder how many people are telling the truth or only parts of the truth about their blackout. It will be interesting to see as the story goes forward.

agalisgv and (deleted member) like this.
  13. BigB08822

One thing bothering me is that the parents are not asking the girl what she saw after she has brought up her flashforward 2 times! I get that it is to draw it out because her flashforward probably reveals a lot but I would rather them just leave it as if she refuses to talk about it or something. However, she has twice mentioned her flashforward and they just say "oh ok, honey..." and then nothing? That wouldn't be how 99.9% of people would handle the situation, IMO. I would ask...

14. rfisher

I don't think either of them want to know. They're already trying to deny what they saw, at least Olivia is.

15. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

Right. And it seems that the flashforward is causing the demise of Olivia and Mark's marriage.

Maybe Loyd didn't recall Olivia from the flashforward because he was awake and didn't have one.

Something else in common between FF and Lost - Creepy Children!! I find Charlie about as freaky as Walt.

It's odd to see The Famous Jett Jackson with facial hair.

16. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Was the woman who called Dmitry played by Shohreh Aghdashloo? It sounded like her. I love her. great cast.

17. BigB08822

I don't know her name but I recognize the voice for sure. Of course, I can't think of anything I know her from but that voice is unforgettable. What has she been in?

18. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Yes, and she was in last week's episode as well. She plays an agent in London I think? which would (kind of) explain why she would have access to Noh's phone number. But if he's ever had an interaction with her he's have to recognize that voice!! I almost wonder if her highly identifiable voice is part of why she was cast. Love hearing her speak...

Shohreh Agdashloo came to prominence in the US at least after she was in the movie House of Sand and Fog. She was also a recurring character in the series 24 the season after that movie came out.

19. Carmen Ovsiannikov

If all the endings are anything like tonights then yes. :wideeyes:

Forget about FlashForward being compared to Lost. I got some serious X-Files vibes from the final scene with all the crows. Creepy.

At times there are points where FlashForward slows down a little but then another thing is thrown at the viewer. That sort of thing is keeping me from wanting to miss any episode.

20. rfisher

I missed how Dimitry helped the dad exhume his daughter. How'd that happen. He was walking away from the guy with the bong and then he's at the cemetery. I may have been still washing out my eyes from the dancing underware scene. :yikes:

21. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Leave it to my aunt. I was on the phone with her when the last scene aired. She yells out...How did they get all those birds to fall down like that?

She's never been one to figure out the finer points of life.

BigB08822 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Carmen Ovsiannikov

rfisher, I don't think it was explained how Dmitry was able to get the body exhumed. I'd like to know as well, especially since Mark's wife refused to sign the paperwork. I suppose since Dmitry is an FBI agent he might be owed some favors?

I need to watch it again, which unfortunately means I have to get through the dancing underwear scene again. It looks as if I'll need a fastforward rather than a flashforward. Ick.

ArtisticFan, :lol:.

23. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the daughter's remains are in the grave - an arm, or leg. Doesn't mean she still isn't alive somewhere.

So the last scene - that was a flashback to what happened once before in Ghana? The little boy with the scar watching the sheep didn't black out. I wonder if we're going to see an adult version of this character appear in a future epsiode. Watch for the scar!

24. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

When he was in the office and right before he told the boss his head wasn't in the game, he was talking to Mark on the phone about getting the warrant for the guy to exhume his daughter's remains. Then later we see the scene at the tombstone. That was all they showed in the process.

25. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

She was recently in The Stoning of Soraya M.

26. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I've been crazy sick all week but I wanted to pop in here again even though I don't have much to add what with my head full of junk. :yikes: At any rate I am still loving this show and I thought tonight's ep was really good. I liked that it slowed down a bit and only focused on a few different stories instead of a bunch all at once. The bird thing was really interesting and I second the motion of checking to see if an adult version of that little Ghana boy is around somewhere in the present. This show is SO fascinating to follow and I can't wait to see what's next! :)

27. rfisher

I did notice that Dmitry's fiancé was actually quite a distance from the wedding party. Maybe she only assumed it was Dmitry standing there.

I'm still waiting for another kangaroo sighting. :watch:

28. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've been waiting for that too. :lol: :p

29. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I wasn't thrilled that yet another agent lied to their (future) wife. And Nazis?

We didn't see Zoey actually see Dmitry in her flashforward. It was probably assumed...or she is lying about see Dmitry and is marrying someone else. At the very least, them traveling to some faraway island explains why no one attended their wedding.

How many months pregnant is the female agent in her flashforward? She was pretty darn big. I love that she's a lesbian.

I'm also loving the big honcho's wife. The actress usually plays kick-ass characters that kick ass. Liking the softer side she is playing. Although, I have no clue what the boy is all about. His dad one of the agents who died?

30. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I think his mother was one of the agents killed.