FlashForward - The Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by HeatherC, Sep 25, 2009.

1. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

OK, I kept seeing comments here from folks saying this show needed it's own thread and since I'm bored at work waiting for the end of the workday to FINALLY get here, I figured why not start that thread while I sit at my desk. I'll just keep pretending to work, LOL :shuffle:

Anyway, I loved this show last night and I'm excited to see what's coming up next. I liked the cast, the premise was set up right away, and you gotta love the random kangaroo hopping down the street. Time for more mysteries! :lol:

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:cheer2: for the kangaroo.

I was intrigued and will watch again. Joseph Fiennes, alone, is worth watching.

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I loved it! I don't want to turn this into some kind of Lost thread but there were definite aspects from Lost. The opening scene was exactly like Lost with the main character coming to and seeing the destruction all around. Then of course we have the actress who played Penny on Lost playing a main character in this show (the wife/doctor). I also saw a billboard in the background that had an ad for Oceanic Air on it! :eek: I don't think anything will truly cross over but I think they want to capture as much of the Lost audience as they can with it being the final season of Lost. They got me!!

I want to know why someone(s) was walking around and not passed out. I also have my theories about the main guys (sorry, still learning names) flash forward memory. I don't think that is just about him finding out who did this but about his daughter. I thought that before she gave him the bracelet but that just sealed the deal. I think she is either killed or kidnapped because he is figuring out what happened. The burnt doll was probably hers, it would explain the reason that he is drinking again as well as the reason for their marital problems. She would have sympathy for the guy who lost his wife and he for the woman who lost her child.

I am suspect about the FBI assistant guy. I don't think believe him when he says he didn't have a memory. I think his memory is something he isn't allowed to tell anyone because it will get him in trouble or blow his cover. There is just something I do not trust about him. I think we will find out what he really saw later on.

I am sure there are more things but I can't think of them at the moment. Oh, does anyone think that Kangaroo will be important or was it just thrown in for laughs?

4. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

And why was the only person awake (that we know of at this point) in Detroit?

Jack Davenport! John Cho! Great cast!

5. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

My sister is certainly happy! ...... so am I. (Oh the memories of Davenport and the POTC military threads) :rollin:

6. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

This is what I wrote in the other thread:

I liked FF, but didn't love it [yet]. I will definitely watch again next week, as I think this series could really have potential, but I wasn't mesmerized by it like I was with Lost's premiere.

The commercial for V was super awesome and I'm sooooo excited about that!!!

7. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

:respec: You and your sister have great taste. So you were into the "Navyboys" as well? Those were the days.

I need to learn everyone's names as well. I do know Olivia and Llyod but keep forgetting the first name of Joseph Fiennes' character although he is married to Olivia. At the moment I'm still referring to people by their real names. Even with Olivia I only just found out what her real name is; until now I've been calling her Penny. :lol:

I don't want to keep with the Lost comparisons either but another thing FlashForward has in common with Lost (and least for me) is that I am going to have to tape it then watch it a couple more times before the new episode airs. Like Lost, FlashForward seems detail oriented in a blink and you missed it kind of way (I missed the Oceanic billboard). I like that.

BigB08822, didn't Joe Fiennes' daughter make a comment about there being no more good days or something to that effect? So maybe it is a kidnapping rather than death.

It never occured to me that John Cho's character might be hiding something. Then again it would be too cut and dry to imagine that he's dead end of story by April 2010. And in the season preview his fiance mentioned that he was at their wedding.

I'm still :rofl: over the fact that while practically everyone has flash forwards that seem life altering, Courtney B. Vance's character was on the toilet reading the paper.

8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I watched it and must admit to being interested. However most of the Sci fi shows I have taken a liking too over the years have been cancelled so I am hesitant to get involved in a series that is only going to last a season. But I am going to keep as many fingers as possible crossed for this show. LOL

9. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The daughter may also be sad because her parents seem to be divorced/separated.

Although, what kind of guy hooks up with a woman only 6 months after the death of his wife?

And who sees their baby doctor at 10pm (although she could be in a different time zone)?

I'm sure ABC would love to have someone flashforwarding themselves watching Private Practice.

Another Lost connection is the use of the Boston Red Sox.

I also find it sad that no flashforward = death, so I don't buy it. If that were the case, then a lot of people will have no flashforwards, especially older people. Lots of people die everyday. What about an image of heaven or hell?

10. Rhianna

Rhianna ...Her?

I'm really amused that pretty much everyone and their brother is in their show. The ones that amused me the most were the guy that played Jett Jackson on The Famous Jett Jackson and Seth McFarlane (that one elicited a WHAT?! from me).

11. BigB08822

I had another thought last night regarding the assistant who didn't have a flashforward. I find it very odd that he was not in the vehicle after the crash. He just kind of appeared out of nowhere and unless I missed it there wasn't an explanation for where he went. It also seems that everyone came to at the same time, certainly he didn't come to so early as to get out of the car and away before his partner came to. I seriously doubt he was ejected from the car and was that uninjured. Makes me really wonder...

12. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Good point BigBo - I too wondered how he got across the overpass relatively unscathed. That's a future plot point to be sure.

I know this show is based on book that's been around long before LOST (I can't remember which one), but I couldn't help thinking how the opening reminded me of LOST a little bit. Opening with a Jack-like character struggling to make sense of chaos and confusion. Hey - it worked for LOST!

13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

It got me too - I really liked it. Its on my DVR! I can't want to find out more.

I read an article with some info that may or may not be spoilerish, so I will put it in tags:

The kangaroo will be a recurring character throughout the season.

We will see April 29, 2010 come to pass in the first season (in fact, on April 29, 2010) so it won't move as slowly as Lost did.

"Charlie" (Dominic Monaghan) will be on the show

14. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

I giggled at the breeches the men had to wear for the film, but Davenport was totally rocking it! :saint:

15. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that last thing is in spoilers, but will respect your spoiler tags.
    They showed Dominic Monaghan in the season preview. He was the guy in the back of the car who removed the mask.
    Can I also say how happy I am to see Alex Kingston and Courtney Vance on TV again?

From the previews,
    it looks like the guy who gets involved with Olivia (the wife/doctor) is involved in whatever caused the flashforward. I suspect the comment about him being in Seattle was a hint.

I am curious about how the kid brought into the hospital knew Olivia's name. Since we know where Olivia was (or will be?) during the flashforward, and the boy did not appear present at the time and, in any event her name was never said, that means either: (1) the boy's flashforward involved a discussion of her with a picture; or (2) the boy knew who she was before the flashforward. That's the biggest mystery to me so far.

16. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Any chance that some of the people that appeared during the flashforward (like guy walking around in Detroit while everyone else is passed out) are actually people who have flashedBACK into the same time frame? That would explain how someone like the little kid at the hospital might already know the name of his doctor.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Bostonfan

Well the kid's father is the one that Olivia saw in her vision as the man she cheats with - so I suspect the kid had a vision of her at a different point of that future day.

18. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

I thought they all flashforwarded to the SAME time. There were two characters who corroborated the time of their meeting, complete with bird crashing into the window.

(I know. I know. I'm never right about this kind of stuff. I just like the idea that if there is possibility of time travel forward, then there is possibility of time travel back. And it explains the one functional person in the Detroit stadium).

19. BigB08822

You are correct, at least as far as we know they all flashed forward to the same time. However, it wasn't a physical time travel so much as a mental one.

20. Carmen Ovsiannikov

I thought the breeches were sexy. Of course I'm one of the people who thought the Navy costumes (especially Norrington's) were just as cool as Captain Jack's costume. I've watch a lot of period films and I've never seen anyone look as good in a white wig as Mr. Davenport did.

At first I was going to say that Llyod's son would know Olivia by that time but since (as far as we know) everyone has only had one flashforward that wouldn't make any sense.

It's possible the person in the stadium could have been responsible for the flashforward and found a way to not be affected himself.

21. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Is the kangaroo to FlashForward as Vincent is to Lost? :rofl:

22. missflick

missflick New Member

I have watched it three times now...kangaroo? Dominic? Where?

23. Bostonfan

Dominic appeared in the "this season on Flash Forward" previews. Maybe you left the room (or if you recorded it maybe it cut off). He's shown in a car and you hear him say "I know how this happened"

The kangaroo is seen hopping down the street when the main guy is heading over to the hospital to check on his wife - before he stops to watch a TV in the window with a crowd gathered.

24. Bostonfan

Well maybe the kid is there at the same time as Olvia and the guy is in her house. Perhaps it's meant to be that the kid had reason to be in the house? Watching it from a different angle? We know the kid's mother is dead. So he's only got his dad. I don't know.

25. missflick

missflick New Member

I am beginning to wonder if the guy with the son that Olivia operated on (forget the names, sorry) was the guy walking around in the Detroit stadium. There is something creepy about him.

26. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer (1999)

Yay for Sawyer! He's been a favourite of mine for a number of years, and I've often thought that his SF is comparable to Michael Crichton's and would translate to the screen well.

Unfortunately none of my TV stations are carrying the show. :(

Re the dead people have no flashforward. In the book, the flashforward was 20+ years, so it was a lot less connected to the present for people. Sawyer's books often have an element of religious faith/belief questioning. He isn't afraid to have his characters confront very difficult questions, like why no flashes of an afterlife.

27. Carmen Ovsiannikov

I'm trying to figure out how Lloyd's son knows Olivia as well unless he was hiding watching what was taking place in Olivia's flashforward. But that doesn't quite make sense either. I can't wait for that explanation since everyone flashedforward to the same moment in time so technically the only exposure to Oliva Lloyd's son would have had was the moment when Olivia was looking at Lloyd from the balcony.

That doesn't make any sense.

I also want to know if John Cho's character really didn't have a flashforward or lied for some reason as his fiance said in her flashforward they were at their wedding.

I need to get a copy of the book Flashforward since I really liked most of Michael Crichton's books.

28. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Like others have said, I liked this show but didn't love it. I DO love the premise, but thought the ep was a bit too...kitchen sink.

All along I was hoping we'd find someone who wasn't affected by the blackout (possibly a few people). I'm a little disappointed we've found that person already, and that it's someone presumed to be responsible.

This show is on during Survivor, I think, so i'll be watching on Hulu after the fact, but I'm looking forward to it - I hope the show can settle into its own groove. The cast is very likeable, and as I said I love the premise.

29. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

And yet they chose to have a prominent bus advert reminding us to watch Desperate Housewives :lol:

I've been thinking more about Demitri (John Cho's character). I don't think there's anything sinister about him - I think he really didn't have any vision and is freaking.

It does seem unlikely that he'd be thrown so far from the vehicle and be as minorly injured as he was. But during the chase I noticed he wasn't wearing a seat belt. That's not that unusual in tv/movies during chases, but I really noticed it because Joseph Fiennes WAS wearing a seat belt.

30. missflick

missflick New Member

If Lloyd's son saw her in the future, he might have heard the name Olivia. So not a biggie here.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009