Fixing the Canadian Ladies Program

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by algonquin, Feb 11, 2012.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Okay, reading this I just discovered the main difference between the American and Canadian ladies programs. Nobody makes 100 excuses for American ladies.

2. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

You may believe that but I find Americans certainly put a great deal of pressure on the "next skating princess", usually have extremely high expectations of them regardless of how good they actually are compared to the rest of the world.

3. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Why bring up the peculiar things Americans do? We are discussing the standing ovations and million excuses Canadians give for their ladies' shortcomings throughout history.

I have never heard anyone blame Caroline Zhang's falls on her having naturally curvy hips or Alissa Czisny's 22nd place at worlds on her not having the same advantages that the Japanese ladies have in terms of public interest in the sport.

I think the Canadians tend to make unnecessary excuses for their ladies. You have the talent. Encourage the talent to compete. You spend a lot of time picking "The One" or "The Great Hope" and and fawning over that one even when she finishes 10th at Worlds. Canadians undervalue competition among ladies. This is what makes them better and stronger. Let your talent rise to the challenge and stop the excuses.

I'm sure the truth is Canada does a pretty impressive job in its skating program, but the fans and Canadian media discourage their ladies by being all soggy and sappy about them constantly.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Because you brought up what you think is the difference between American and Canadian ladies as a slam against Canadian ladies skating. I saw things a bit differently.

Last I checked we don't give a million excuses as to why our women don't do as well as some other countries. What I do see is people trying to figure out how things have been in years past and how they seem to be taking a turn for the better in Canadian ladies skating, and are pleased by it.

5. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

lol no one is really giving too many excuses for our Canadian ladies.......for the most part they just suck...until now with at least 4 promising up and comers.

Other than Joannie and Cynthia we've had no one good for a looooooong time, I'm not making any excuses for the rest of the ladies, they all just sucked. I've been to many competitions and all the coaches can talk about is the crappy ladies, no one was making excuses for them, they just accepted it.

Some of us Canadians are frank and don't make excuses, you know ;)

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.