Five of the Worst Public Marriage Proposals

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by antmanb, Feb 28, 2012.

1. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

2. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

There should be a ban on proposing marriage in public. :scream:
  3. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Totally.

My husband and I had a practical "time to get married" discussion, had an appointment at the church and bought the ring together, but he still wanted to propose formally. Then he asked me if there was anything I wanted him to do in that. Answer: "Whatever you want when we are ALONE". An answer that he was quite relieved about!
  4. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

OW!

the first clip is so brutal. but you know, from the moment the girl cringes in embarrassment and shock, that is all about to go wrong.
  5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think at least one of those, maybe 2, have been proven to be staged.
  6. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

The first one was pathetic and he was looking for attention. "We met in front of this Cinnabon." He gets down on his knee TWICE because the person in the wheelchair didn't the see first time and no one had their cell phones out. I don't blame her for leaving, he went too far.

I met my future husband at a fast-food place, but he didn't even consider giving me a ring and crown, lol. I would have walked out.

Yet, I've witnessed a few simple, well-done public proposals and they were short and sweet. I think it's cute and does not "need to be banned." Is it tacky and attention-seeking? Maybe. I know one woman who is a skating director and her boyfriend proposed at the end of the rink's annual skating show. Everyone knew both of them and skating is her life, so it was sweet.

People do far worse things in public these days than asking someone to marry them.
  7. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

There was a proposal on an episode of Ellen that went bad. The guy had written in that his girlfriend would be in the audience and Ellen brought him there to propose. When he got down on one knee, the girl started crying, at first everyone thought she was touched, but after a few seconds everyone realized she wasn't going to accept him. They then rushed him out of the studio and went to the closing. However, they obviously didn't cut it from the show that aired, poor guy. It was probably traumatic for her as well, and will be aired in repeats.
  8. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Did John & Rena make this list? :D
  9. BigB08822

Not real. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-emdtEFCnxY
  10. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

11. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

I didn't watch any of the clips because I absolutel HATE any & all public proposals. They are all gag-me-now moments AFAIC. First of all, I doubt that any proposal is completely out of the blue. Once people say I love you, marriage could be on the table at some point so a proposal is not going to be a complete surprise. Second, what for most people is a private moment now becomes a public affair with spectators & critiquers. Third, it puts the woman on the spot, even if she eventually wants to marry him, just not right now. I've never seen one that didn't make me think the guy was an attention whore.
  12. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

:rofl: Definitely should have. She looked so uncomfortable with that whole thing.
  13. BigB08822

This. I always wonder why the women sometimes seem so surprised and begin crying and shaking. Was this never discussed? If so, best of luck. My bf and I have been discussing marriage in some way or another for years before we finally said "ok, let's do this and pick a date." There was no proposal or anything needed, it would have seemed ridiculous, to be honest. Why ask someone a question you already know the answer to? On the other hand, why ask someone to marry you (in such an official way) when it has never been brought up before? I think marriage proposals are just a commercial gimmick and a romantic notion.
  14. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Well, there are proposals which aren't expected; my dad proposed so quickly, my mother certainly didn't see it coming. They're going to celebrate their 31st anniversary this October. And while a friend of mine wanted to get married and her boyfriend knew, the proposal wasn't expected when it came due to the circumstances of their relationship. He wasn't sure at all whether he wanted to commit to marriage or not.
    From what she told me, my jazz teacher also didn't see the proposal coming.

Since marriage hasn't the status it used to have, I don't think that being in love and moving in with each other and planning to spend the rest of your life with someone must mean there's a proposal in the near future. All of it, plus starting a family, can be done without marriage.
  15. taf2002

True....but I wouldn't think it would be a complete shock either.

I always think about the scene in Working Girl where Alex Baldwin asks Melanie Griffin to marry him in front of all their friends. Are any guys really that clueless? She comes home & finds him screwing someone in their bed & next time she sees him he proposes. And then he's offended when she says no. (BTW I loved that she said no. :respec:)
  16. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Really? I think lots of people say I love you when they haven't even thought of marriage.
  17. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I always wonder if the guy thinks she is likely to say no, but won't do it in front of a crowd.

But there are women who would love all that attention, too, so maybe some of those guys just know their women.
  18. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Oh well, I guess there isn't enough real life to go around. We have to manufacture news and "reality tv" ? I didn't think it was particularly funny or remarkable, just uncomfortable.:rolleyes:
  19. taf2002

Post-coital doesn't count.
  20. antmanb

I would expect pre-coital i love you's are higher in number than post. At least from men :lol:
  21. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Definitely the one at the big basketball game - that's gotta be staged, with actors. Not very good actors. Highly unnatural.
  22. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

In my experience, most do. :lol: Marriage is a whole other level of commitment that can be scary even for someone who's in love.

I told my sister (who moved in with her bf after 6 months of dating) that my bf of 3 years and I were thinking of taking the next step, and she looked at me like I had grown another head. :lol:

Anyways, nobody I know is into the idea of public proposals. It ruins the intimacy of the moment and it basically forces the girl to say yes when she really truly might not to be ready to.
  23. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Yep. In the day and age where millions want to "go viral," I trust none of these anymore. The foodcourt and basketball game "proposals" are particuarly suspect ... almost certainly faked. :blah:
  24. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I don't think my husband nor I could tell you if there was a "proposal" for us. We walked into a jewelry store, picked out rings and later a date. It sort of just happened. No elaborate proposal, no down on one knee and no talking to my dad first. Why should my dad know before me?
  25. antmanb

I agree with these sentiments but I have also known a lot of crazy Bridezilla types (usually through work) over the years who constantly go on ad nauseam about the need for their BF to propose, the amount of money he should spend on a ring, the originality/public spectacle of the proposal etc etc.

A colleague I shared an office with about 4 years ago got himself into a crazy state of stress based on the amount of agro he got from his GF, her sister and all of their friends about when he was going to propose, how he was going to propose and putting a lot of pressure on him. In the end the stupid bint would have been better off keeping quiet about it because the amount of bitching she and her friends did put back the porposal by a good year while he waited for a break in the pressure so that it didn't look like the proposal came on the back of a round of give-him-shit-until-he-proposes.