First Well Known Skater You Met In Person

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by N_Halifax, Jun 8, 2013.

1. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

It took me a while but I figured out who the first one was. I met Tracy Wilson at Sectionals in Powell River BC in the early 80s. She was unbelievably nice and admired my Vancouver Canuck shoelaces and told me she had some exactly like it at home. It absolutely made my day!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I totally agree.It is easy to understand that the young and shy are so, the publicity can sometimes be very scary, but I have also only met one not-so-nice skater, and I have met lots of them.

Back to the topic, my first was Kristina Wegelius, in the end of the 80´s in the party of our common hometown that time. I was surprised how tiny she was.

3. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

I met Scott, Tessa, and Kurt last year at the Lindt opening. All were sooo sweet. Unbelievably kind and chatty.. I didn't have to worry about being shy at all!

4. emadden

emadden Member

Barbara Ann Scott and Donald Jackson at Oshawa Figure Skating Club when I was a child.

5. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

It looked a bottle of wine but could have been a spirit or liqueur , I suppose.

6. alij

alij Active Member

I have already posted my first encounter but just remembered my daughters. Despite my efforts she only started to really appreciate skating in her mid to late teens. I had told her many stories of my time in skating and skaters I had met etc before we went to watch an international. As there had been a gap of about 20 years between my visits to internationals I wasn't sure whether security would be tighter etc. and didn't want her to be disappointed if sh eonly got to see the skaters when they were on the ice.

We went to Oberstdorf in 2009, Olympic qualification year and she was really excited to see Stephane Lambiel skate so you can imagine how she felt when as we were watching he walked along and literally sat in the seat right next to her. He was very sweet and had photographs and signed her ticket. That same competition we sat and chatted for ages with Meryl Davis and Charlie White's mums and subsequently met the skaters themselves, and she also met Tatiana Volosozhar, Aliona Savchenko, Alissa Czisny, Kiira Korpi, Ryan Bradley and many others and every one was delightful. Her love of skating was cemented by those meetings and she still loves to do a bit of "skater stalking".

7. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

WOW!

8. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

Well, as I am new fan, my first well-known skater I met, is still is the only one what I've met, and she is...
    Zijun Li!

She was at the Volvo Cup this January (which btw was the first skating competition I watched live), and she was SO flawless, that after the free skating, as there weren't many people, I just started stalking her :D She was watching pics from free skating in computer, and I just went to see her closer, and then I couraged myself and said "Hello"! Well, we talked about 5 minutes, that was really cool. She's really cute in person, and after that I became BIG her fan.

kosjenka and (deleted member) like this.
  9. puglover

puglover Active Member

Emmanuel Sandu used to come with Joanne McLeod when he was about 12 or 13 and demonstrated for her during her seminars. He was absolutely amazing at that time. A number of skaters came and practiced at our rink that were there on a tour. I remember Michelle Kwan as being super nice and so tiny. Victor and Shae-lynn were very friendly. Victor came into the skating office and politely asked if they could borrow a pylon which they used to practice their hydro-blading. For some reason the person he asked really hesitated so I stepped up and said of course they would use the pylons - they could have them as far as I was concerned.

10. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner back in the '70s.

11. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Their story is so heartbreaking. Hope they have found fulfillment in other endeavors.

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Tai Babilonia has a new candy venture underway - @taiskates tweeted this photo today - "new "tai treats" website under construction" http://pic.twitter.com/enY3NBNDch

I was lucky to be able to have a fleeting fan encounter with Gordeeva and Grinkov before a Stars on Ice show in early 1995.

13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I can't honestly remember the first famous skater I was brave enough to actually talk to. But I can remember lots of "passing by famous skaters in the halls" type encounters. The most memorable one was at 88 Worlds in Oakland, where there was some food concession thing in a tent in the parking lot, and you had to walk down a set of inclined ramps under tents to get to it. Mr. Overedge and I were walking up a ramp and Christopher Dean was coming down the ramp, and he smiled at us as we passed. And as soon as he was out of earshot, I put my hands on my face and bent over and went OMGthatwasChristopherDean!!!@@~~!!!! I think Mr. Overedge was going to drag me to the medical tent because I couldn't talk coherently for about 10 minutes afterwards :lol:

ETA: I should mention that I haven't talked to a lot of famous skaters because I'm not interested in getting autographs, and I don't want to barge in on their down time at a competition.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013