First Well Known Skater You Met In Person

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by N_Halifax, Jun 8, 2013.

1. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

Who was the first well known skater you met in person? Mine would have to be Jamie Sale. It would have been the fall after Salt Lake City. I was working as a cosmetician and she came in looking for something (I think she said gifts for the other skaters on tour) and I said to my co-workers "do you realize who that is?" I walked right up to her, introduced myself, gave her a hand and told her how much a fan I was. She was very sweet actually. Ironically, that seems to be how I meet most people. I'm far from shy. :lol:

2. Skater91

Skater91 Member

I dont remember the first. I know too many.

3. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Brian Boitano, April 1988, Rockefeller Center Skating Rink, NYC (indoor area)-He'd skated a brief exhibition earlier that day. A couple of young ladies and I had met while waiting outside in the cold and misty rain for the exhibition to start :cold: (we were there for hours to get a good spot on the railing). After he'd finished skating and changed, there was a reception for him. We waited outside the reception area and were able to briefly meet him and get autographs; met Linda Leaver too. :)

In later years (early 90s, in San Francisco) I briefly met Brian Orser, Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguchi and Rudy Galindo. :cheer:

Although once I did see Paul Wylie rollerblading through Harvard Square! :p

EDIT: Have been remembering more about Brian Boitano Day...I found out about his appearance on local TV that morning. I called in "sick" :shuffle: at work, and caught the train into the city from Queens. It was chilly, overcast and misting rain all day; we were afraid they might cancel his appearance...which, after waiting for HOURS by the rink, we did NOT want to contemplate! :yikes: From time to time we went into Rock Center to warm up a little and use the bathroom, but we didn't want to lose our places on the rail, so the building visits were brief.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  4. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Evegeny Plushenko. He didn't say much but it was the way he said it that continues to amuse me :)

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Anton Sikharulidze. He accepted the roses from me after a show and was very nice.

6. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

And he was so good-looking! ;)

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Liz Manley. Can remember it because my 'autofocus' camera misfocused :(

8. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I haven't actually met any but I shook Shae-Lynn Bourne's hand when I was in the front row of a Stars On Ice show a few years ago. :) I also stood a few feet from Elizabeth Manley for a good while at last year's Ottawa Stars on Ice show, but I was too shy to go up and say hello. Same with when I was standing a few feet away from Bryce Davison at Skate Canada 2008.

9. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Charlie Tickner at Adult Nationals in Kansas City. OK, he wasn't the first well known skater I met, but the others were current skaters at local rinks and weren't really any big deal to me because I was way older then them :lol:. Not as big of a deal as meeting a childhood favorite. I heard through the grapevine that he really appreciated my freestyle at the last AN I attended. :swoon: Oh, and at a different AN I found out that Richard Dalley was a judge for one of my events and met him too. That was a great experience - another skater I looked up to way back then.

10. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

Matt Savoie :inavoid:

11. HVS

HVS Active Member

Is it possible to meet Yuna Kim? :lol:

Oh yes, I met her once before, about 5 years ago at her fansign event :cool: You know, in real life, she really has a baby angel face, overly good looking. When she smiled in front of me, my heart stopped for a while, I almost fainted :eek: She just said "hello" and "thank you" to me (repeat with all fans :lol:) but that absolutely wonderful moment :swoon:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  12. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan on the boardwalk in Atlantic City - July 1997, following the "Skating Romance 2" show. I wished her well for the upcoming Olympic season. I thought I recognized Yuka Sato rolling her suitcase on the boardwalk, but was too shy to go up to her & ask if it was her (many years later, I got to ask her about it - it probably was her). About an hour after meeting Michelle, we met Brian Boitano! We just missed the chance to talk to Brian Orser :( as he had left a few minutes earlier.

In March 2002 - Kristi & Todd did a promotional visit for SOI @ Skatezone Rink in Voorhees, NJ (where the Flyers train), a few days before the Philly show. I took the day off from school as a "sick" day. Wasn't going to miss that opportunity!

13. Piper

Piper Member

Igor Spilband.
    This autumn we were living at the same hotel and met at the reception. Me and my friend were in a hurry and at first didn't recognize the back of a man who was standing ahead of us. We only knew that because of him we could be late. :D When he turned the first time and said: "Sorry" we were in shock.)) When he said "sorry" the second time I recovered and started telling how much I admire him as a coach and as a person, etc.etc. He looked pleasantly surprised, it was really funny - when I mentioned Chock-Bates and their dances his eyes were something like :eek:. :D

14. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

David Wilson. I ran into him when I was staying at my friend's in Toronto. He was just as delightfully funky as ever and so nice!

15. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I met Randy Gardner and Scott Hamilton backstage at their "Broadway On Ice" show in Miami (or was it Miami Beach?). It was years ago. I was visiting my relatives in Miami and happened to see the advertisement for the show in the papers so I thought I'd go-especially because Randy Gardner was going to skate too. My uncle dropped me off and I remember there was some kind of picket line in front of the hotel. I really was only interested in meeting Randy but the father of one of the other fans, a girl I had been chatting with, pointed towards me and said to Scott 'she's been waiting all night for this' implying I was waiting on Scott-which I wasn't. I was waiting for Randy. I was polite about it though and didn't correct him. Scott was (is!) very tiny! I was particularly struck with how narrow his shoulders are. Still, it was cool to meet an Olympic Champion. Along with the other fans I asked him for his autograph (I felt I had to after the comment made by that girl's father). Finally, Randy stepped out of his dressing room-I thought he was so handsome with his white costume, dark hair and pale skin! And he was very sweet to me when I asked him (most sincerely this time) for his autograph. :D

16. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Zhenya Plushenko. :eek: :swoon:

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Barbara Underhill who was quite a bitch. It was at 1996 Canadians and a few people went up to her to ask her for an autograph and her reply was 'No. If I sign one for you I'll have to sign one for everyone," and she turned away.

About half an hour later I met Viktor Kraatz who was absolutely adorable (and made up for Barbara. To this day I still don't like her). And I was also in an elevator with Josee Chouinard shortly after she lost the title to Jennifer Robinson. She was very nice, but trying so hard to hold back the tears.

18. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Brian Boitano, ca. 1998. My husband and I met him at Julie Ring's Heart & Soul in SF, where Anita O'Day was doing a show. He was nice but didn't make much of an impression, I'm afraid - I was much more excited about Anita autographing her autobio for me.

19. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I got to meet a bunch of skaters at TEB but the first was Elizaveta Tuktamisheva. Also met Brian Joubert there.

20. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Miki Ando. Except I didn't go up to her or said anything lol. Everyone else was just staring too.

21. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

KWEEN! Her 22nd birthday. (((sigh)))

22. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

And then you joined FSU. It was a good day. :)

23. Sasha'sSpins

Ugh, I can't stand it when skaters or former skaters are nasty to their fans. I guess they forget all the cheers once they retire. It almost makes me glad she never won an Olympic Pairs medal. I say almost only because Paul Martini didn't win one either.

I am so relieved to know that Viktor Kraatz was nice to you (and especially that he was adorable!) as he is one half of my all-time favorite, and imo the greatest, Canadian Ice Dance team ever! :cool:

24. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Drobiaska and Vanagas because they participated in the SkateFAIR protest at Worlds in DC. :D They were both lovely and she was drop-dead gorgeous. I had a long political conversation with Peter Carruthers that day as well and was impressed with his insight into the scandal and aftermath. He is no dummy, whether you like him as a commentator or not.

Purely as a fan, my aughter and I met Shae-Lynn Bourne at the same Worlds. She was incredibly nice and also gorgeous. (So there you go, both halves of that dance team were nice.)

and that was also when I got to say four words to Yagudin who was there but not skating. I'm surprised I just didn't pass out being that close to my all-time-favorite. :shuffle:

kosjenka and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Sasha'sSpins

As I said to screech, in part, I am happy to know that Shae-Lynn Bourne was incredibly nice as she is one half of my all-time favorite and imo greatest Canadian Ice Dance team ever! Screech met Viktor, you met Shae-Lynn. Maybe one day I'll meet both at the same time! :D

26. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I chatted a lot with Dan Hollander back in the day when AOL was around. I knew I wasn't bothering him because he'd message me just as much as I'd message him. I'm always conscious of things like that.

I've had millions of chances to interact with skaters in and out of skating enviros but I choose not to. I know they don't usually mind but I genuinely hate bothering them. Plus I genuinely can't think of anything to say other than some form of "love your work". I'm just not chatty unless I know someone (I would ask my personal friends who know me and post here to NOT weigh in on that subject thankyouverymuch!).

So, I pretty much refuse to approach skaters, but if I'm in close quarters and it's almost awkward to not say something I usually give one line of niceties and then disengage. *shrug*

27. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Paul Wylie at a summer show following the 1992 season, and as I recall it he was nice to me and my friend. And we were teenagers, so we must have been quite annoying.

28. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

The best! That day I met so many others...and the rest is history. :)

29. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Evgeni Plushenko. :) He was super nice and spent about twenty minutes with my friends and me once he found out we'd all flown from the US to see him skate.

30. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I've since met Shae - 2005 Canadians. IIRC she was recently engaged to Nikolai and I was disappointed she was wearing gloves, because I wanted to check out the rock.

Actually, thinking back, I met skaters before Bitchy Barbara. I met Kurt Browning at the 1990 Canadians and he was so charming. He joked around with me and my grandmother after he won the title (and was being called over to take pictures). He said he'd be right back, and came back as soon as he finished with the press. And he gave me a big kiss on the cheek.

Over the years I've met many skaters and have had mostly great encounters. Alexei was lovely. Marie France Dubreuil is absolutely stunning and lovely in person. Jeff Buttle - adorable! Jennifer Robinson, so sweet. Steven Cousins, very charming.

Elvis Stojko - my experience was not so lovely. I was skating in Barrie one summer (Mariposa) and aside from him extremely loudly cursing (in front of small fans) when he fell on jumps in practice, I walked past him once and smiled (as a nervous 12 year old fan). He glared at me then rolled his eyes as he walked past.

I'm not a fan of Jamie Sale at all, but the one time I met her, she was really sweet. I was working backstage at an ice show, and another girl and I walked past the change rooms - the doors were wide open. We did a double take at David Pelletier and then we heard behind us 'Not bad, right?' And it was Jamie. IIRC, also skating at the show were Josee Chouinard and I'm thinking Surya was there too. We all stood around backstage just laughing and joking until they were called out to skate.