First American to join the Bolshoi Ballet!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Buzz, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Oh wow, he is one of my favorites. ABT will miss him, but I guess he'll still perform there some.
  3. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Very cool! A friend of mine sent me a text telling me earlier today. :)
  4. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

He's my friend on Facebook and I've been keeping up with him for about a year. He chats on Facebook a lot until recently. Maybe he's had to cut off his Facebook or limit it somehow....lovely, lovely guy.

Edit-Nope-he's on Facebook this morning with this story and lots of comments from friends. Maybe the Bolshoi will allow him to comment on Facebook....
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  5. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Nice :) I'll have to youtube him.
  6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

OMG, I have so many reactions!

1. How adorable is Osipova as Giselle, Act 1? On a scale of 1 to 10, she is about a 20.
    2. Hallberg is really good. I can see why Bolshoi would want him.
    3. His facial expression reacting to the direction is priceless (first video, about 2:31 mark)
    4. :eek: An American at Bolshoi!!!! The sky is falling!!!!! I've always cited the lack of Americans in Russian companies as evidence of Russian ballet tradition's superiority. However, good for Hallberg! :respec:
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  8. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Thanks for the links :) I love Giselle's music. He really has great line and feet.
  9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

So the Russian ballet instructors are singing Hallberg's praises: his maturity despite his youth, his style and body line. One of them said that Osipova and Hallberg complement each other well in this production. Lots of talk about Osipova's jumping and ballon ability, her "flight" or as one youtuber put it, her Natalia Airlines style.

This is actually what I think is a flaw in her her White Act of Giselle: she is too effervescent and bubbly to portray a melancholy spirit. She is just too happy! But still, she is so good. I would have loved to see this production live.
  10. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

11. Marlowe

Marlowe New Member

Indeed, she is something to behold. I'm sorry to say that I didn't know who she was until I looked at that clip. She's wonderful! Then I spent hours looking at ever clip of her I could find on Youtube. They will be dancing Giselle and Romeo and Juliet this Spring at ABT in NYC - and I'm thinking I may need to get tickets to Romeo and Juliet.
  12. skatesindreams

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

14. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

The link at the bottom of the original article says he will be on The Colbert Report tonight.

I am curious as to how a South Dakota boy ended up in ballet.
  15. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I saw Hallberg partnering Alina Cojocaru in Giselle last spring - Congrats to him!
  16. skatesindreams

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Thanks for that HP article. Oh how I would love to see the two of them live. :swoon:
  18. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I am in noyoutubetecknik so I can't link it, but the clip on Colbert was the funniest thing I have seen in awhile. Colbert did a dance bit with him and to see Steven in black tights and a suit jacket alone was a big LOL.

Apparently Steven Colbert had some ballet training himself, according to the news this morning.
  19. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I was gonna say, he was surprisingly not bad! :lol: I love Stephen, he's down for anything!

And VERY cool to have a ballet performance on the show! :cheer: