Finnish skating news, part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maija, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kati

Kati Active Member

Thanks for sharing! Hope we will see her skating in competitions soon!

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Regardless of this rule, I think Bela should have been given one B-International in order to get some international Senior experience. Even if he wasn't going to Euros.

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing!

:)

Can she get any prettier?

:swoon:

4. sk8gr8h8

sk8gr8h8 Lurrrrve Laura Lepistö

Thanks for sharing the photos! Laura looks great.. I'm so looking forward to seeing her at Nationals already!

5. Starskate2

Starskate2 New Member

Well, my opinion is that Bela has a lot of international experience. He has been at the jr. worlds the last 3 years. He was the youngest ever at the jr. worlds and he was only 13 years old. The level at the jr. worlds is allmost the same as it is in European Championships so i truely think the experience is not the major issue here:rolleyes:

6. Starskate2

Starskate2 New Member

If they want they can send him:)But there is still one more competition and AP is going to be tought also Valtteri and who knows what Victor is going to say to this...but Bela has pretty good lead and he should at least get the jr.worlds by his Joensuu show already:)

7. Northeagle

Northeagle New Member

Laura appears in a good shape, it's true: I hope she's got through all her problems, her season could change by Nationals, Euros and Worlds.

8. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

9. Hanna

Hanna Politicking for more stationary lifts

I agree with you that getting more experience never hurts. But somehow I doubt it's the FFSA who didn't give him a B-international. My guess is he didn't even ask for one (probably because of logistics). If not, then why are there are some other Finnish senior men with much less merit getting B-internationals?
    But this is just what I think, I'm really not sure.

Thanks for the pics. :) I also randomly ran into Laura and her sis yesterday at the Kaisaniemi metro station. Very :glamor: as always. :)

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

He doesn't have senior experience and senior programs are different from junior programs.

You are also marked differently on the PCS, because you are held to a different standard.

So doing at least one senior competition would be a good idea, I think.

As Hanna says, maybe logistics were the case (travelling to Europe must be extremely expensive for him and there are no international competitions in NA).

It would be a shame if he won the Euro spot but couldn't go because he didn't do any senior events... Although I guess the federation would bend the rules then?

11. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

So excited by Kiira's success in Paris. :D Even though I prefer her music choices from last season, her actual skating seems to have moved up a level (or is it just me?)

Hope Laura is doing well. :)

12. rhumba

rhumba New Member

It amazed me that for such a small country has many talents (and beauties):)

13. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

She really looked amazing at TEB (skating-wise, I mean, but of course, since this is Kiira Korpi, looks-wise, too!).

And I love her music choices this year, too.

14. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

Nice to hear some good feedback on Kiira too. :) I think she is very hard-working girl, just think about how much her spins have improved during her career!

15. Loves_Shizuka

^Her spins are definitely better, but everything about her seems stronger this year. She's faster, and before I used to think she had occasional awkward moments with her arms/upper body/posture, but I haven't noticed that so much this year. I'm really excited about her Euros/Worlds prospects.

16. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I agree with you, L_S. I think she has worked so hard, and it's really paying off. Everything from her skating skills to her spins to her jumps looks stronger this year.

17. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Just saw her Evita program...aside from the fall, I was impressed. I was also so happy to see her get back up and finish with a bang.

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The ISU accepts scores from Jr. Worlds and Jr. GPF towards minimum qualifying scores, and for this year, last year's scores count. Papp's SP total TES was 27.02 and his FS total TES was 38.71 at Jr. Worlds 2010, and both scores meet the minimum score requirements for ISU championships. Any more restrictive minimum score requirements are coming from the Federation.

19. MikiAndoFan#1

I agree with both of you. :) Kiira has improved so much since last season! I hope she continues to skate well throughout the rest of the season. Go Kiira! :cheer2:

20. Hanna

Hanna Politicking for more stationary lifts

This.

IMO the improvements she has made in her skating over the years are mind blowing. If you care to, you can check out her FS from the 2004 JGPF. The difference is unbelievable. Spin difficulty and execution, general difficulty of program, flexibility, expression and interpretation are from a completely different world nowadays. She may not have one thing she's really superior at (which is something that often tends to get noticed) but I think her biggest strength is that she has no real weaknesses. She can jump, IMO nowadays almost excels at spins, she's a strong interpreter, has powerful basics and good edges, transitions and program difficulty.

I admit it's definitely easy just to comment on someone's skating without thinking too much - I also do that constantly in the PBP threads. ;)
    But Kiira is a skater whose skating I've followed very closely for quite a few years now. And it makes me :( to see the same "she only gets the points because she's so pretty and the judges' pet" every year, when she's worked so hard to achieve the level she's at and everyone who'd care and bother to could actually see the huge improvements she's made.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  21. MikiAndoFan#1

:respec:

22. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Ditto. I love seeing skaters improve, and Kiira has definitely grown, matured and become one of the world's top skaters. She may be physically gorgeous (she really is one of the most gorgeous people I've ever seen), but her skating has a beauty all its own, and she deserved the highest short program score of the season so far.

23. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

:respec:

Thank you Hanna, you said it perfectly!

24. Loves_Shizuka

Exactly. This is why I'm really warming to Kiira all the time. It's the same reason I like Pang/Tong.

25. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I like Kiira and also see the noticeable improvements in her skating.

She's definitely skating faster.

I do have to disagree about the jumps. The Lutz attempt looked better than it has in the past, but it's not quite there. The flip technique is still scary.

Still, hitting a 3T+3T in both programs, and two 3Lo and a 3S in the free ain't too shabby seeing what everyone else is putting out there. Aside from Miki, Raechal, and Mirai, I can't think any other lady is trying two 3Lz in the free.

Still it's not all about the jumps, as Carolina Kostner has shown. If she gets even just her 3F back, she'll be able to up that TES quite a bit.

26. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

The Finns certainly have a knack for expressions. Everything Korpi did was crisp and to the point.

I am not sure I agree with the victory over Nagasu, but I am glad she is skating so well so far this season. Love her programs.

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I don't think you can deny the improvements she has made.

Her jumps are indeed much more solid this season.

But I still do think that she gets way too high PCS, in comparison to other skaters.

28. Northeagle

Northeagle New Member

PCS are often very subjective, Ziggy: but it's impossible judges they got crazy all together in Paris, and in other competitions too. Kiira's got a sense of music and grace much higher than other athletes, and I think her improvements are more in her mind than technical. But Hanna's right at all, she've worked very hard in her career, even despite of her mysterious illness. These are the years of full maturity for a skater, and she could get extraordinary results in these seasons.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's not going crazy, it's called "the halo effect." :p
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

30. poths

poths Well-Known Member

The thing Im loving about Korpi this year is the fact that she is doing the same jump layout every competition. For the past 5 years she has messed around with content so much and this just added to her woes IMHO. I remember in one season she did flip and loop in the sp at Euros, lutz and loop at nationals, Flip and lutz at worlds...three different layouts for the three biggies of her season.

The 3toe/3toe was added to her Worlds lp in 2006 (successful in quals, not so much in the FP) this was a change to the Euro LP where she actually went CLEAN for the first and only time in her career.

Consistency is the KEY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.