Finnish skating news, part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maija, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

For the Finns - link. Sucks that it's blocked outside Finland. :( I thought it was lovely.

But I seem to have a good chance to advertise some of my own videos ;) :p

Cecilia Törn SP from 09-10 (she's keeping it)
    Beata Papp SP from 09-10
    Beata Papp FS from 09-10 (keeping it, I think)
    Alisa Mikonsaari SP from 09-10 (she's keeping it)
    Alisa Mikonsaari FS from 09-10

I don't have videos of the boys from last season on YouTube unfortunately. I have Bela's FS on a memory stick but it's not a very good performance. :shuffle: And I never knew Zubik would have all those triples so I didn't fim him (at Nats, that is). :lol:

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the updates, translations and the videos guys. :)

3. Ankka

Ankka New Member

Finnice, Alisa speaks Finnish and Russian equally well (I went to the same school with her brother).

And back to the actual topic :D I think it's very good for all of them that they're so even. For the girls especially the tough competition should push them in practice as they know they could make it to the team. It's also very good for the future of Finnish figure skating... Also, they need to train hard as there's the young and talented Timila Shrestha coming up!!!

I can't really pick my favourite out of them. I just wish they'd all do well this season. I find Beata's performance skills and musicality very nice and she definitely is very talented as she only switched to Juniors from Novice last season (let's not forget the Canadian record in Novice!). Alisa has a lot to improve in her skating skills and arm movements but it seems like she could get it in a few years time. But she has such a nice Biellmann and her spirals were amazing. Such a shame they're not a real element anymore :( Cecilia for some reason reminds me of Laura, in a good way. She has such smoothness in her edges and great fluidity.

Speaking of Laura, her loop combo looked very good on the clip (it's from the time AFTER she returned to the ice I guess) so I'm sure she'll do well this season after all.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

5. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I believe that clip was from the national team camp back in August so it was from the time before she got injured. IMO.

6. Ankka

Ankka New Member

Oh, well I may have just gotten too excited :D Sorry!

7. Ankka

Ankka New Member

8. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ankka! Laura looks great in the video!

:cheer2:

9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Finns, what can you tell us about Juulia TURKKILA's skating? She finished 10th in Dresden with a decent score (116.86), which is pretty close to what Papp scored last year at Junior Worlds. She also had PCS higher than a few girls who finished ahead of her. From the protocols, she only has 3T and 3S, but I'd like to know more about her skating overall :)

Thanks.

10. maija

maija Well-Known Member

She is a little bit of mystery to me. I know most of the young and promising Finnish skaters but I don't even remember how she looks like!

11. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I also noticed that she did quite well at Dresden, which is great! Based on that score she has made some significant improvements from last season. I know she did a 3t-3t at a competition in Finland a few weeks ago.
    Maija here's her STLL bio so maybe you'll remember the face. She's from HL.

I think she's a talented girl with especially good expression. She has all right spins, especially the I-spin (or is it Y-spin?) but I always thought she was a bit slow. IMO I'd say her strengths based on last season are having the easier triples (especially the 3t is great, at least usually) and being rather expressive. :) But based on 116 points overall I'm expecting that she has really made some improvements over the summer.

And since I'm into the uploading this weekend anyway :p I checked my Nationals 2009 memory stick and yep, her programs were there. ;) So here's the FS from last December.

oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  12. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Pixieworld.net will be covering several finnish skating events thanks to Tomas Whitehouse (the photographer). I suspect this is just karma payback for listening to HIM so much not that long ago. :p This is a sort of a double post but since not everyone has access to the K&C I thought I'd live a note here as well.

Finlandia Trophy 2010 photos

Finnish Natonals 1st qualifier competition photos

I'm also running a contest for the fan favorite Finlandia Trophy photo, it would be nice for Tomas to have a good participation rate, so take a look at it please.

13. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Kiira Korpi´s new web site in English is open. www.kiirakorpi.fi
    The pictures are :smokin: and :glamor:

14. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

What color is she wearing this season?

15. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

Sky blue for the SP ( over the Rainbow)
    Plum/ black tiedye ( not a good description of an elegant dress) with beige accents ( Evita)

16. Finnice

The accents are actually more pink than beige. SP dress is considered to be lovely, FS dress divides opinions. OIn Finlandia Trophy, I was one of the few who liked it.

But the home page pictures are poses in all kind of colours and dresses.

17. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I was wishing for a dark blue, but the lighter blue will be lovely for her as well. Frankly, I can't imaging her wearing anything that isn't lovely. The Finn ladies are always gorgeous.

18. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

SP
    FS (another view)

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  19. shah

shah Shhh...

next top model :smokin::swoon:

20. ana

ana New Member

thank you Finnice.
    interesting pictures.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  21. Ankka

Ankka New Member

The selection criteria for the teams for the Senior and Junior Worlds and European Championships are up!

Some major changes compared to previous years:

Laura Lepistö is already selected for EC and WC as last year's medalist (though she has to skate at one competition or in front of a special panel to meet the requirements of ISU. (Meaning Tech Score 15 in SP and 25 in FS)). I presume this decision is due to the fact that she's injured... But still she is our top female skater so I find it fair :)

Then, the two other ladies for EC are selected based on their SB score (the minimum for the ladies is 145 and if having to choose from a weaker field, the federation will reconsider). But the big change is with the Worlds: the second skater to join Laura will be chosen based on SB score again so technically if someone gets a higher score at the Nordics, she'll be chosen for the Worlds team.

The SB rule is valid with the men too and will be more likely to cause some stir.

http://www.stll.fi/?x2126=1677704 (link in Finnish)

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

According to this year's rules, a skater can use last year's scores to meet the minimum score requirements, as long as the competitions are listed. She has enough scores from last year to qualify now.

The Federation can insist to compete or be monitored before she's allowed to compete, but she's met the ISU criteria.

There was discussion that starting next season, the minimum score would have to becearned in the current season only.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I don't think that this is a very good idea.

Under those rules, a skater can peak early in the season and then totally lose form but still go.

Doesn't make sense to me at all.

I think that Finnish Nationals should decide the Euro squad and Euro results should decide the Worlds squad.

24. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Well what's new with these decisions by the Finnish Fed. :yawn: Every year I keep hoping they'd change it so that ONE good score (even if the rest of them crap) wouldn't be enough to get a spot at ISU Championships. But they never change it. :wall:

25. Elka

Elka Active Member

They probably want to have an other option of choosing the "newbie the third". If the one, chosen for Euros, is "wrong" and someone at Nordics performs better, they can reconsider. I wonder they think Laura will not be available?

Hope they will not give ridiculous components for junior boys in qualification competitions in Finland in order to fix the "needed" seasons best, as they did last year.

26. elfenblüte

elfenblüte Member

Will the finnish dance team go to Euros and Worlds? Because they have met the ISU minimum score many times already.

27. Finnice

Elfenblute, do you mean Klimova/Palomäki (who have quit), or Lindholm/Kanervo? The latter will go to Europeans, I guess.??? about the Worlds.
    Agree with Hanna: The criteria of FFSA is a bit...umm...diffusive. They are paying all the possibilities and hoping, of course, that Laura will not miss this season.

28. elfenblüte

elfenblüte Member

Hallo Finnice, thank you, I mean Lindholm/Kanervo, because it would be a pity if they met the ISU criteria, but their federation would not want to send them to ISU Championships.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Are Lindholm/Kanervo too old for Junior Worlds now?

I hope they are sent to Euros at least.

I would kinda understand if they weren't sent to Worlds because their results have been very low so far but they should definitely get the chance to do Euros at least, if they are to gain experience and improve.

30. Kati

Kati Active Member

They were born in 1987 (Kanervo) and 1989 (Lindholm), so they are not juniors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.