Finnish skating news, part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maija, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

I know you found the protocols later and posted the link in the Ice Star competition thread ;) ... here's is Jenni Saarinen's winning FS from that competition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbsDni3u21g

2. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Yes, and since this competition she has added a 3lz to her free and a 3t-3t to her short. :)

3. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Good morning :)

I know some of you are involved with clubs and we never know who is reading here so I thought I'd drop by and leave my little announcement:
    Photographer bookings

In short we are trying to make coverage of smaller competitions profitable for the site and the photographer, which is a very difficult task to both, I'm working with my long time collaborator Tomas Whitehouse to cover the Finnish Qualifiers and later on Nationals, so if you could spread the word on the initiative I'd really appreciate it. Thank you ! :)

4. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

watching Kiria more makes me think of How much I miss Laura :(

5. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Who are you watching?

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Kiira is a beautiful skater. Wish her all the best.

7. joeperryfan

Entries list and results page for the 1st qualifiers in Helsinki this weekend:
    1st qualifiers

8. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

so many ladies, so little men...

9. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Unfortunately, that's the way it is here.

We'll have to start a separate "Road to Finnish Nationals" (or something) thread in the K'n'C with reports from the qualifiers. Should be interesting, especially with the super novices from last year having all moved up to juniors now.

10. joeperryfan

Unfortunately that's the way it is in most countries...

11. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

IDC a.k.a. Ritti Well-Known Member

Finnish version of "Dancing on Ice" will be aired during 2013. No details were given yet on skaters, celebrities or judges involved. (In fact, I haven't heard of any rumours yet either! :-O )
    Press release (in Finnish):
    http://www.nelonen.fi/uutiset/viihd...timilla-huippusuosittu-tv-formaatti-neloselle

Meanwhile...
    Laura Lepistö and some other Finnish celebrities visited an army shooting range for another TV show:
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/LauraLepisto/status/261130973150846976/photo/1
    Photos: http://www.iltalehti.fi/viihde/2012102416246223_vi.shtml
    Video: http://www.iltalehti.fi/iltvviihde/20121025013931520_a2.shtml
    This episode of the "Elixir" TV show on November 14.

12. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Thrilled with Kiira's CoR :D

13. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

We all are. It it still not sure if she makes the GPF. She would make Finnish skating history by that. AP Nurmenkari was in the junior GPF about ten years ago.

14. maija

maija Well-Known Member

Kiira was in Junior GP Final as a host country skater in the year the final was in Helsinki.

Jenni Vähämaa was in Junior GP Final in 2007. She was 5th in the final.

15. Loves_Shizuka

I really hope she makes the final; I mistakenly thought she was already guaranteed.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't see a scenario in which six skaters could pass her, but I might be missing something: the logic is that since she has 26 points and a win, and the first tie break is best result in one competition, to go ahead of her, another skater would have to:

1. Have > 26 points
    2. Have 26 points, one victory, and have a higher combined score (second tiebreak)

There are three skaters who could do this individually at TEB, but they can't all do it at the same time, because the two with 13 points (Lipnitskaia and Gao) need to come in first; another silver, and they lose the first tiebreak, since Korpi has a win and they don't. So even were Wagner to come in third (15+11) and beat Korpi on combined points (the second tie-break) and either Gao or Lipnitskaia wins (13+15), the other one loses the first tie-break, and at most, two can go ahead of Korpi. (A win for anyone else, for example, Tuktamysheva with 9, would be less than Korpi's 26.)

The same is true at NHK, if Osmond is not chosen as a replacement, because Suzuki and Zawadzki both need to win to pass Korpi. ( Zawadzki would also have to beat Korpi with a higher combined total.) If Osmond is chosen, then a Zawadzki (11+15)/Asada or Osmond (15+13)/Asada or Osmond (15+11) podium with both Zawadzki and the bronze medallist scoring a higher combined total than Korpi could pass Korpi.

Unless I've missed a scenario where three skaters at TEB could pass her, there should be a maximum of five who can, in the worst case scenario.

Corrections most definitely welcome.

17. Loves_Shizuka

I.e It's likely Kiira makes the GPF. Hope so!

I know I could look it up, but what happened with Laura never reaching a GPF?

18. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

As I've always understood it, gold and bronze mathematically locks a skater.

19. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

She's IN. With only 2 events left and 3 medal winners already out (Sotnikova and Gold blew their 2nd event and Osmond doesnt even have one), I dont see any mathematic result combo where she would get passed.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

No, it's a done deal, because of the first tie-break rule, which gives the spot to the skater with the highest placement:

Yes, because there are six spaces and only five other skaters maximum who could beat it: five other, different skaters winning the other five events and getting a silver in the second event (28 vs. 26 points) or getting a bronze in the second* event (tied in points), but having the highest combined score. A skater without a win -- highest= two silvers -- can't beat a skater with a win and at least a bronze. A win + 4th or lower/no second event can be beaten.

*Not necessarily chronological

21. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

IDC a.k.a. Ritti Well-Known Member

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Great news!

23. Loves_Shizuka

24. pani

pani Well-Known Member

25. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

26. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Loves_Shizuka

I hadn't checked the Euros forum so now I just find out.

Very. Big. Sigh.

28. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Sad news, will Turkkila and Mikonsaari be able to keep 2 spots for 2014? Dont think so :(

29. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

don't think so either. this will increase the chances of all those girls fighting for the 2nd spot (or holding them) like Weinzierl for Germany, the French Girls, Lafuente & Co.

sad for korpi, hope she will recover for worlds and show what she's capable of.

30. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

I thought the title was for her this year...