Finnish skating news, part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maija, Apr 1, 2010.

1. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Yes, she is still skating, she was injured for a while and restarted a few weeks ago, she also mentioned on Twitter that she was trying ice-dance boots for the first time so I wonder if she switched disciplines... i asked but had no answer.
  2. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

That's interesting! She has gorgeous basics (the best part about her skating) so she'd probably make a lovely ice dancer. :) Hopefully she can find a partner (or already has one) if she wants to try that out.
  3. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I agree that Cecilia Törn would be a great ice dancer! I so want to see her back on the ice.
    Jussiville Partanen has had some tryouts with at least two different ladies, so let´s see.

:sekret: told that Jeffrey Buttle is choreographing the SP for Kiira Korpi.

ETA: Kelvster, Mikko Minkkinen has now doctorated in mediacal science and is apparently making a great career as a scientist. Thank you for remembering him, he was a somewhat erratic skater, but often also a joy to watch.
    Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  4. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

:cheer:
  5. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Oh, good to hear! What a smart cookie.

I liked his Depche Mode free programme, the year he won Finnish Nationals and went on to Euros and Worlds ;) He, like a lot of skaters from Finland, was silky smooth on the ice ... too bad we never saw more of him.

If you have news of Susanna Poykio, please let me know as well :)
  6. seabm7

seabm7 Member

7. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

It says that she's trying to find music for her SP, which will apparently be choreographed by Buttle like Finnice said. Kiira was asking for suggestions on Twitter a couple of days ago.

The article also mentions that Imaginaerum by Nightwish could be a choice for a new exhibition.
  8. seabm7

seabm7 Member

Thank you!
  9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Korpi should skate to "Fever". This is just my personal wish though. :p
  10. Finnice

Would you get fever if she skated to it?;)
    She mentioned earlier that it would be great to skate to Sibelius in the Olympic season, but I guess it is not very easy to find a piece with suitable length, other than Valse Triste.
  11. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Oh..... how about FINLANDIA ... (wonder if anyone has ever skated to this)

I will :wuzrobbed if Kiira skates to this piece (even though I am not a Finn myself)

Sibelius' Violin Concerto is also very beautiful and suitable for skating, though it's a little depressing :saint:
  12. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

13. matti

matti Active Member

No, it was Valse triste. Jill Watson and Peter Oppergar used Finlandia for their Olympic free in 1988. Midori Ito skated to it at the 1991 Worlds (latter part of the LP).
  14. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

In case anyone missed this news about Cecilia Törn/Jussiville Partanen that was posted in the partnership search 2013 thread on May 15: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...l-countries)&p=3922908&viewfull=1#post3922908
  15. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

16. joeperryfan

Thanks for posting about Cecilia and Jussiville here Sylvia, I had missed the news. :)
  17. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Just came here cause for some reason I feel a strange bound to the Finnish figure skating all of a sudden ;)
  18. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

19. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Beata Papp and Bela Papp are registered at the BC Summer Skate (August 15-18 in the Vancouver area).

Registrations: They are about halfway down the pdf, under senior women and senior men.

This competition is sometimes live-streamed. If it is, their performances will likely be archived and available for viewing.
    Hanna and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Wow, this thread has been buried. ;) I guess there haven't been a lot of interesting things going on, and the news about Kiira have had their own threads.

But one thing I was supposed to post about (and forgot) is that apparently Tomi Pulkkinen, the Finnish-Swiss guy who's been skating for Switzerland for quite a few years, has switched back to skating for Finland and also training here. Or so I understood. I saw him skate his FS to PotO two weeks ago and I was actually very positively surprised! He had really really beautiful jumps and all in all, it was quite a respectable skate (I think he scored about 111 points for it). He should most definitely be a nice addition to the national competition in men. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.
  21. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Here's an interview in Finnish with Susanna Rahkamo just after Nebelhorn http://yle.fi/urheilu/karu_totuus_o...joitelleet_itsensa_rikki/6855188?ref=leiki-es

The title is something like "The sad truth behind Olympic disappointment - they have trained themselves to pieces" and basically she talks about how training methods need to change so that we can keep the next generation of skaters healthy (Pöykiö, Lepistö and Korpi have all had a lot of injuries during their careers).
  22. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

:(

Thanks for the link/translation, Hanna :)
  23. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Now that I'm on a "posting news streak" ;) I'd like to also point out that the first ever quad by a Finnish guy was attempted yesterday by Matthias Versluis. He did fall but it was rotated and IMO a very good attempt and it looked like he'll definitely be able to land one! I was very positively surprised. http://youtu.be/K2M58QzE75Q?t=30s Also his 3lz looks insanely easy.

Also saw Liubov Efimenko doing a 3f-3t in the warm-up in a competition today. Her rotation is unbelievably quick! Unfortunately she fell on the flip in the actual program so didn't get to try the combo. But she did do a very nice 2a-3t. If she can skate it even somewhat clean, her free program is truly competitive (3f-3t, 3(f)lz, 2a-3t, 3lo-2t, 3lo, 3s, 2a). Maybe she's also planning to upgrade her short to 3lo, 3f-3t, 2a.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  24. joeperryfan

Guys, when is the first qualifier? I'm trying to figure out the calendar, is it 12-13 October? The abbreviations are even worse to read than the full words... Google is not my friend in this case.
  25. maija

maija Well-Known Member

12.-13.10.2013 in Tampere: http://tappara.fi/taitoluistelu/kilpailut/omat-kilpailut
  26. joeperryfan

27. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Hopefully Kiira will still find a way to be present at the Olympics in some capacity. With her personality and beauty, I don't see why some Finnish TV producer would not find it strategic to invite her to provide some sort of commentary or have some sort of presence at such an important event.
  28. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

A week to go and still no participant lists (although of course you can pretty much guess who's going to be there). :violin:

Maija, how I appreciate the fact that you ALWAYS have all the information (and even a lot of extra) available as soon as possible. :respec:
  29. Finnice

Susanna Pöykiö, the 2005 European silver medalist and 2009 European bronze medalist is now doing the master thesis is Finnish language at the Oulu University. Her subject is figure skating slang and she has posted a questionare about that in FFSA´s pages. It is only in Finnish. What a great subject:respec: A totally new idea, and with her experience and expertise both in figure skating and lingvistics, it will surely be very interesting to read. If there will be an English summary and I am allowed to post a link, I´ll do that.

Susanna has also done some commenting to the Finnish tv, as have Elina Järvinen (former Kettunen), Kiira Korpi and Laura Lepistö.
  30. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I tried to fill out her survey but got stuck on page 2 since I couldn't come up with any answers. :drama: Maybe I'll try again later.

Heard Kiira commentating last week, I thought she did a very nice job considering it was her first time trying it. :) She sounded very sweet and knowledgeable and most importantly, she agreed with me on many things like Suzuki's musicality. ;)
  31. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Laura Lepisto is my favorite commentator in history. I have no idea what she's saying but her voice is incredible. :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: I melt into a chocolatey goo every time...
  32. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who is in a total shock about Juulia's scores in Coupe de Nice? 109.81... :scream:
  33. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She hasn't had a good competition in a very long time.
  34. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I like her, she's so graceful, and I really enjoy her skating style if only she didn't have that deer-in-the-headlight look. :fragile: Hopefully she finds a way to build up her confidence.
  35. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I'm thinking Juulia needs to become a pairs skater. She'd be perfect.
  36. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know, but not landing one triple jump in FS is really sad. I know she will never reach high international level but she used to be a decent skater and triple toe and triple salchow were quite reliable for her. I hope nothing seriously wrong with her.
  37. Finnice

Physically, she should be alright. I hope she gets all the mental support she now needs.
  38. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Jenni Vahamaa too :fragile: Does anyone know what training methods are like right now?
  39. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

(((Vahamaa)))
    Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  40. Finnice

According to an interwiew today, Kiira Korpi is recovering in schedule. She has already been on the ice. The Olympic dream is gone, says she - which is only natural, because Finland does not have a place - but she aims to skate in the Worlds in Japan.

She is always so positive, I have to admire her. I just hope that she han have an injury-free season 2014-15 and end her career in a good tone.

Loves_Shizuka, I saw Jenni Vähämaa in Finlandia Trophy, she looked happy, but it still feels very bad to think about her possibilities. Well, that´s figure skating, a cruel sport.