Finnish skating news, part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maija, Apr 1, 2010.

1. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

IDC a.k.a. Ritti New Member

Finnish version of "Dancing on Ice" will be aired during 2013. No details were given yet on skaters, celebrities or judges involved. (In fact, I haven't heard of any rumours yet either! :-O )
    Press release (in Finnish):
    http://www.nelonen.fi/uutiset/viihd...timilla-huippusuosittu-tv-formaatti-neloselle

Meanwhile...
    Laura Lepistö and some other Finnish celebrities visited an army shooting range for another TV show:
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/LauraLepisto/status/261130973150846976/photo/1
    Photos: http://www.iltalehti.fi/viihde/2012102416246223_vi.shtml
    Video: http://www.iltalehti.fi/iltvviihde/20121025013931520_a2.shtml
    This episode of the "Elixir" TV show on November 14.
  2. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Thrilled with Kiira's CoR :D
  3. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

We all are. It it still not sure if she makes the GPF. She would make Finnish skating history by that. AP Nurmenkari was in the junior GPF about ten years ago.
  4. maija

maija Well-Known Member

Kiira was in Junior GP Final as a host country skater in the year the final was in Helsinki.

Jenni Vähämaa was in Junior GP Final in 2007. She was 5th in the final.
  5. Loves_Shizuka

I really hope she makes the final; I mistakenly thought she was already guaranteed.
  6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't see a scenario in which six skaters could pass her, but I might be missing something: the logic is that since she has 26 points and a win, and the first tie break is best result in one competition, to go ahead of her, another skater would have to:

1. Have > 26 points
    2. Have 26 points, one victory, and have a higher combined score (second tiebreak)

There are three skaters who could do this individually at TEB, but they can't all do it at the same time, because the two with 13 points (Lipnitskaia and Gao) need to come in first; another silver, and they lose the first tiebreak, since Korpi has a win and they don't. So even were Wagner to come in third (15+11) and beat Korpi on combined points (the second tie-break) and either Gao or Lipnitskaia wins (13+15), the other one loses the first tie-break, and at most, two can go ahead of Korpi. (A win for anyone else, for example, Tuktamysheva with 9, would be less than Korpi's 26.)

The same is true at NHK, if Osmond is not chosen as a replacement, because Suzuki and Zawadzki both need to win to pass Korpi. ( Zawadzki would also have to beat Korpi with a higher combined total.) If Osmond is chosen, then a Zawadzki (11+15)/Asada or Osmond (15+13)/Asada or Osmond (15+11) podium with both Zawadzki and the bronze medallist scoring a higher combined total than Korpi could pass Korpi.

Unless I've missed a scenario where three skaters at TEB could pass her, there should be a maximum of five who can, in the worst case scenario.

Corrections most definitely welcome.
  7. Loves_Shizuka

I.e It's likely Kiira makes the GPF. Hope so!

I know I could look it up, but what happened with Laura never reaching a GPF?
  8. MissIzzy

MissIzzy New Member

As I've always understood it, gold and bronze mathematically locks a skater.
  9. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

She's IN. With only 2 events left and 3 medal winners already out (Sotnikova and Gold blew their 2nd event and Osmond doesnt even have one), I dont see any mathematic result combo where she would get passed.
  10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

No, it's a done deal, because of the first tie-break rule, which gives the spot to the skater with the highest placement:

Yes, because there are six spaces and only five other skaters maximum who could beat it: five other, different skaters winning the other five events and getting a silver in the second event (28 vs. 26 points) or getting a bronze in the second* event (tied in points), but having the highest combined score. A skater without a win -- highest= two silvers -- can't beat a skater with a win and at least a bronze. A win + 4th or lower/no second event can be beaten.

*Not necessarily chronological
  11. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

IDC a.k.a. Ritti New Member

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

13. Loves_Shizuka

14. pani

pani Well-Known Member

15. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

16. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Loves_Shizuka

I hadn't checked the Euros forum so now I just find out.

Very. Big. Sigh.
  18. SamuraiK

Sad news, will Turkkila and Mikonsaari be able to keep 2 spots for 2014? Dont think so :(
  19. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

don't think so either. this will increase the chances of all those girls fighting for the 2nd spot (or holding them) like Weinzierl for Germany, the French Girls, Lafuente & Co.

sad for korpi, hope she will recover for worlds and show what she's capable of.
  20. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

I thought the title was for her this year...
  21. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

If Turkkilla can finish 10th or higher, it doesn't matter what Mikonsari places and Finland can get 2 spots right? That's not impossible, but Juulia would likely have to skate very well to finish in the top 10, but with Korpi, Leonova, and Silete not there, her chances are improved.
  22. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

^ it's not, at least not for me in the US. Laura looks lovely and very well put together, as per usual.
  24. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Don't forget that Carolina will be at Euros, and looking at her Nationals performances, she is in a quite good shape. Even if she would have a mistake or two (same as Kiira, most likely), her PCSs would still be higher than Kiira's. So, no reason to assume that the Euros title would necessarily be Korpi's.

Thanks. Good for Kiira.
  25. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

26. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I should already be in bed so I have no time right now but here's a crappy google translation for you, which gives you the main idea.

---

Finland's all-time most successful figure skater Laura Lepisto has given all Kiira Korvelle advice on how to recover from injuries.

Lepistö himself suffered from a successful career persistent Achilles tendon injury, which in turn keeps the Kiira Korpi away from EM Zagreb Arena. Lepisto took his contact kaveriinsa injury became public knowledge.

- We have some viestitelleet Kiira, because he has the same type of problems as I had. I gave him all the tips that do not do it, and it is, but so and so, Lepistö reveals.

- I wanted to give him any advice on where I felt I have gone wrong during the rehabilitation process. I want to keep him at the top to represent the Finnish.

Lepisto won the European Championships in his career straight flush, ie gold, silver and bronze. Korpi of Finland's success in personal injury possibilities week commencing races diminished to nothing.

- It's really too bad that Kiira suffer because we do not get a Finnish exciting race. Fortunately, he does have access to the World Cup, YLE's expert team joined Lepistö sighs.

His career in March last year due to injuries Lepistö decided to focus on the current School studies. He also makes occasional figure skating performances, as well as coaching gigs. Career in racing, he does not need me anymore.

- I do not know, we could go on the stress anymore. Yes oireilemaan feet would have been, however, as they do now, Lepistö know.

Lepisto was awarded the Finnish Sports Gala on Tuesday, sporting careers special prize. The already mentioned European Championship success, but also a pretty short career he won the World Championship bronze.
  27. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Bumping this up with a couple of tidbits from the newest FFSA magazine.

Aghai/Partanen have apparently gone splitsville. :( It's disappointing but honestly not that surprising. They would've aged out of juniors anyway and IIRC they were already having problems of some kind earlier in the season. Not to mention the disappointing finish at Junior Worlds.

Finland is, again, bidding for Worlds in 2016 (we already did for 2015 and also 2011 after it was cancelled in Japan). We're probably going to keep bidding until we get it and honestly, I don't think it'll take long - I suspect Worlds will land in Helsinki sometime during the next olympiad before 2018.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  28. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Good luck with the bid!! I'd be there for sure :D
  29. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Oh, I would love to have Worlds in Finland! Or anywhere else in Europe. It seems to be out of Europe for too long (2013 in Canada, 2014 in Japan, 2015 in China...) Good luck with the bid!
  30. SamuraiK

I really hope Finland gets the bid!! :D
  31. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:wuzrobbed They used to show up at BC Summerskate.

:cheer2:
  32. Loves_Shizuka

I would go if they got it. Good luck! :D
  33. Finnice

I really wish we shall got Worlds soon! If that happens, I surely welcome all the FSUers here and am willing to help everyone as much as I cam

At least we shall have Art on Ice next year, 11th of March 2014!

I am so sa d with Sara and Jussiville. I only saw them in Finnish Nats 2011, they were so good.
    And I am still waiting for more information about what Julian Lagus will do.
  34. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

I had forgotten to tell you, in terms of coaching he said he was going to Sirkka Kaipio again(you called it ;)) and recently he has also been talking to Margaglio... I wonder what they are cooking there.
  35. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

36. Loves_Shizuka

:cheer: Kiira. What a shame we won't be seeing her lovely LP again (I presume)

Aww thank you. I might be holding you to that! :D
    Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  37. Finnice

Please, do!
    :cheer: Kiira!!!!
  38. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

National Team has been announced (way to go, fed... :cheer: I remember a couple of years ago they didn't bother publishing it before August but they've stepped up things since)

Liubov Efimenko LTL
    Nelma Hede EsJt
    Kiira Korpi TapTL
    Rosaliina Kuparinen LTL
    Julian Lagus JTL
    Alisa Mikonsaari LrTL
    Lyydia Määttänen TapTL
    Emma Niemi TTK
    Tino Olenius TapTL
    Beata Papp Hermes
    Bela Papp Hermes
    Emmi Peltonen EsJt
    Juho Pirinen LrTL
    Seidi Rantanen EsJt
    Jenni Saarinen TapTL
    Juulia Turkkila HL
    Matthias Versluis EsJt
    Nea Viiri EsJt
    Valtter Virtanen KeLS
    Viktor Zubik HSK

http://www.stll.fi/?x2126=3559158

No surprises, really. In fact, it's pretty much exactly what I expected it to be.

Can't wait to see the young guns next season! :cheer2: Especially Emmi Peltonen, she blew me away this last season with how much she had developed and especially her artistry. I think she's probably the most talented (total package) skater we've had since Jenni Vähämaa. :kickass: Hoping everyone stays injury free and has great summer training!
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  39. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Thanks! Is cecilia torn still skating? Shes a lovely skater (but a total headcase i know)

Miss the finnish skaters like susanna poykio, laura lepisto, jenni vahama and even mikko minkinnen so much! These days i am so put off by skaters who do cluncky scratchy x overs. They should all go to finland and learn about the concept of "soft blade"
  40. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Yay, Kuparinen on the National team :cheer2:! Am hoping she manages to stay relatively injury-free this season. Really enjoyed watching her at Nordics last year and she actually attempted harder triples, in addition to having excellent basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-hTIKNnChw