Finnish skating news, part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maija, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Thanks guys for the updates re: Lepisto.

I really hope she can skate again next season. I think her 2010 Olympics FS is the program I've rewatched the most the past two years. :swoon:

2. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

The 1999 born is a very talented group of girls in general. There are four girls with at least 2 triples (and several with good 2axels).

I was already in Tampere for two other things last weekend so I decided to go and watch the novice qualifier a bit as well. Indeed there were some impressive performances. IMO these girls are now at a stage where it's easy to start stagnating so it's very important they keep making progress during the next couple of years. Who knows what will happen but I wish the best of luck for all. :kickass:

Here are the FPs of the top4

Liubov Efimenko
    Jenni Saarinen
    Lyydia Määttänen
    Emmi Peltonen

ETA: Lyydia Määttänen was actually born in 1998, I forgot. Oh well, still. I think she is my favorite of them - such natural movement, gorgeous.

oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I attended to the press conference of the Finnish Europeans team today.
    The news was that Finlandia Trophy will be held in Barona Areena, Tapiola, Espoo, for the next 2&2 years. The major of Espoo was there, and he is proud to host this event.
    I like this decision for purely egoistical reasons: It is so much easier to come there than to Tikkurila, Vantaa:eek:

The ice dancers Henna Leindholm and Ossi Kanervo know that it will be tough competition to qualify, but they are ready to fight. Maurizio Margaglio, their coach, was not there, because he is ill (Mauri). The dancers said tjhat woith Mauri, they enjoyt the dancing much more and they now undrstand that ice dance is not only steps and technique, it is also storytelling and expression.

(I know all the Maurizio haters will :lol:to that, but the dancers seem to appreciate him very much).

Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari was in a very good and friendly mood, and joked about many things. He is determined to do good programs and was especially happy that his FS is going so well now. When he was asked to comment Plushenko´s comeback, he said that he adrimers the guy and welcomes him warmly.

Kiira Korpi has been suffering a hamstring injury earlier in the season, but is in a positive mood and joked about winning the Häme sectionals! She said that medal is of course her aim, but there are good skaters from Italy, Russia and Georgia.

Juulia Turkkila is not that shy anymore, and she was happy about getting everyhting right in the Nationals. She said that it took time to get used to the new FS. She won´t be trying 3lo, but will but 3t-3t in her SP.

Susanna Rahkamo wasa sporting a very stylish green silk coat. Sorry, I took no photos...

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Yuck! One more skater who should know better is going off to skate in North Korea and thereby serves to reinforce the legitimacy of the despotic regime? What on earth is she thinking, and why didn't someone like an agent or a coach intervene before she made a fool of herself?

:wall: :wall: :wall:

5. Finnice

My colleague asked about it from Susanna Rahkamo, the Chair of Finnish Figure Skating Association, today. Ms. Rahkamo answered that they consulted the Finnish ministery of Sports and Arts, and thay said that it is ok for her to skate there. So FFSA gave her the permission to skate there.

This is not my opinion, this is the answer the Finnish journalists get when asked.

6. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

My guess is that there's a lot of :bribe: involved.

7. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

IDC a.k.a. Ritti Well-Known Member

Laura said the organizer of the show(s) is the American company Champions on Ice.
    Anyway, it looks like the show - and the heated debate about if it's suitable for skater X to attend - is a yearly event:
    http://www.praguepost.com/opinion/7578-skater-appears-in-pyongyang.html

Meanwhile, here are some articles from today:

Susanna Rahkamo about the Finlandia Trophy deal:
    http://yle.fi/urheilu/lajit/muut/ta...un_gp-kisa_mahdollisesti_suomeen_3192895.html
    She says the next challenge regarding the GP status is funding. "We are raising money but we need some more. First we are supposed to pay 300.000 euros to the ISU, and only after that we can start thinking about organising a competition."

Photo of the Finnish team for Euros:
    http://hbl.fi/sport/2012-01-20/konstakningens-finlandia-trophy-till-esbo

Kiira:
    http://www.iltalehti.fi/talviurheilu/2012012015104592_tl.shtml
    http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/muutlaji...ee-em-paineita-menen-nauttimaan?taitoluistelu
    http://yle.fi/urheilu/lajit/muut/ta...ira_korven_takareisi_vihoitellut_3192282.html
    Basically, Kiira says she has been battling minor injuries this season, she had to re-set her goals for this season, hopes for solid performances, and will go to Sheffield "with the same package as Nationals". (Will that mean she won't be including the lutz and flip in her programs?)

8. Vagabond

Just because her country's foreign ministry says it's okay doesn't mean that it's a good idea. And we're not talking about some uneducated teenager from the backwoods. She's a twenty-three-year-old woman in her second year of studies at the Aalto University School of Economics. One would hope that, at this point in her life, she would be thinking for herself. Apparently, she isn't.

Understood.

That doesn't mean that the journalists should accept the answer any more than Laura Lepistö should.

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Or, perhaps, she disagrees with your position.

10. IneZR

IneZR New Member

I believe Julia Sebestyen also took part in some skating show in North Korea couple of years ago. I can't blame Julia or Laura for doing that - organizers probably offer a lot of money for participating in their shows.

With Laura having to deal with so many injuries and skipping two seasons in a row (which means not getting any prize money from the ISU competitions such as Grand Prix, Euros, Worlds) she probably needs A LOT of money right now.

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Vagabond

The event has been part of an annual celebration of the birthday of the recently deceased dictator, Kim Jong Il, and a glorification of the regime.

Several well-known skaters have participated in the Paektusan Festival. Last year, the participants included Evgeni Plushenko, TomᚠVerner, Surya Bonaly, Nathalie Péchalat, and Fabian Bourzat.

Here's an article about what happened to Verner after he accepted the invitation:

TomᚠVerner Skates Into Controversy

I wonder whether he thinks the money was worth it and what, if anything, Laura Lepistö and those who work with her know about this.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

You noted no similar reaction in France, Russia, or the US against Pechalat/Bourzat's, Bonaly's, or Plushenko's participation. Perhaps our Finnish posters will report if there is one in Finland against Lepisto's.

13. Finnice

We will, at least I will, but I´ll be spending next week in Sheffied and the week after that in Taipei.

The Finnish media has had much coverage about the death of the North Korean dictator, about people imprisoned or taken to camps if they have not been showing enough sadness because the dictator had died, the hunger problem etc. So, basically, you have to live in a bubble not to know.

I can´t say what the reasons for this decision are, I can´t say why the ministery said ok. We have the presidential election now in Finland, the first round is tomorrow, our media is interested mainly in that and has not reacted at all to the North Korean thing, just reported it.

Ms. Rahkamo said also that sports are always about politics, one can not avoid it.

I am not a sportsperson, I am just a writer. Being a skater, I would have decided differently, but I still do not want to start a witchhunt against Laura Lepistö or anyone else skating in that show.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

There's a long-standing debate about whether participation in cultural events should be shunned because it is an endorsement of a political regime, or whether the trade-off is that it exposes a closed society to another cultural viewpoint, and opinions on this are not monolithic. Especially now with a new leader, there may be a sense that there's a slight opening and possibility, and that it's worth a shot. Unfortunately, not every country has a Juan Carlos to take over after a Franco.

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Vagabond

I don't know whether there was a similar reaction, but there should have been.

Gala Affairs for Nathalie Péchalat and Fabian Bourzat

:scream:

By the way, I'm not sure why you mentioned the U.S. It's true that Bonaly is now a U.S. citizen, but, as far as I know, she has never identified herself professionally as a representative of the U.S., and she's no longer competing in ISU events.

If any eligible skater affiliated with the USFSA went off to Pyongyang to skate in a festival glorifying the regime and bowed in front of a photograph of Kim Jong-un or his father, there would be hell to pay.

I understand that different countries have different social values, but I think Verner's experience shows that skaters who think they can just go skate at the Paektusan Festival, do a little bit of chaperoned sightseeing, grab a paycheck, and not have to worry about what their countrymen will think of them are kidding themselves.

16. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Congrats to Eveliina Viljanen on her Junior Olympic silver team medal.

17. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I'm glad she had a better skate in the team competition (compared to the solo comp). :)

18. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Laura making a show in North Korea, hope she enjoys it there and does
    an amazing show for the audience

and lets hope this will be the start of her return to
    International competition :)

19. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

IDC a.k.a. Ritti Well-Known Member

Nurmenkari got injured during the men's qualifying round at Europeans on Monday. His leg leg has now been examined, and the injury has been confirmed as a ruptured ligament. The doctor estimates the recovery will take about 6 weeks.
    This would mean that Nurmenkari will certainly miss Nordics in February, but am I correct thinking he might still be sent to Worlds if he has the highest SB score after Nordics?

20. Finnice

You are. And if he still has.:p We´ll seeeeeeee...

21. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

So Julian is going to Nordics instead of Ari?

Btw, the Rockettes official site should be higher in search engines, I was having trouble finding it...

22. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Probably.

I have no idea about that since I just remember that it's rockettes.fi and that's it. :)

23. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

It's not the first time I try to find it, I keep getting links to old sites and I only found this one because I went to the Club's site (yes, I dare browse finnish sites even though I understand the grand total of five words in finnish). Maybe it's a fairly recent site... or else they should really look into promoting it or doing some SEO, it's the freaking Rockettes!! They should be easy to find, any other synchro team is.

24. matti

matti Active Member

25. Finnice

Kiira is unfortunately not sure if she can go to Canada, due to problems in her back thigh.

And andother bad news: Laura Lepistö´s participation for the Paektusan Cup has gotten a lot of criticism here In Finland. I am :( and :mad:at the same time. Sad, because Laura has had enough troubles and worries with her health in the last two seasons, and it is so good to see her back on the ice.
    Mad, because her team plus FFSA knew about the reaction Tomas Verner got last year in Czech Republik when participating the same show. They chose to ignore the warnings.

Laura´s reputation and public image has been excellent so far, she has hanlded the publicity very, very well. It is not the yellow press which is after her now, but the quality media.

26. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I am sure she always knew North Korea was a controversial country because of its dictatorship and human rights abuses but maybe it's like athletes going to China or former USSR.

27. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

In the same show appeared also Plushenko. Our newspaper mentions that according to KCNA he commented that "people around the world were feeling sorrow over the death of the dictatator in December". Plushenko wished success to North-Koreans in obeying the commands of the new dictator.

Yes, maybe so.

28. Vagabond

A better analogy would be those athletes who went to Nazi Germany and saluted Hitler. See Post #555 upthread.

The event exists to glorify the glorify the head of state, not to foster a modern version of Ping Pong Diplomacy or to propagate the ideals of the Olympic Movement.

I see from her website that Laura Lepistö does, in fact, have an agent, Erkki Alaja. His Finnish Wikipedia page says he's written several books on sports marketing and sponsorship. He, at least, should have known better than to let this happen.

29. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

KCNA is the North Korean news service, isn't it? I'm not sure that's the most trustworthy resource out there, so unless there's actual footage of him saying that, I'm going to defer judgment. And I seriously hope he didn't say it.

What I'm curious about is why some skaters do those shows more than once (e.g. P/B are there for the second year in a row). I can sort of understand going once: it's probably the only way to get to NK, and even knowing you're getting the guided tour, it would be interesting and educational to see what life is like in such a place. But I can't understand why anyone would return after visiting once.

30. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

poor Laura, :(

I as just happy she is skating again
    this isn't new, international skaters have skated in north korea
    French, Russian, Czech, even American skaters...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.