Finnish skating news, part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maija, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Oh it's not? That's great. :)

Obviously it's not the whole program and she's left out jump content but you get the idea. :) I highly, highly recommend watching. If nothing else then just for the music. I can't remember anyone skating to these parts of Miss Saigon before.

I also think that was one of the very few standing o's you'll get from a Finnish audience. :p
  2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That was lovely, Hanna! It's so nice to see her flow on the ice.
  3. laguska

laguska Member

Yes, the music is lovely. Actually Sofia Otala skated to it in her FP at Junior Worlds 2008.
  4. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

:fragile: Laura's program looks lovely, but this only makes it harder to watch. I'll miss her next season -as will the Finnish team. Hopefully someone teaches Juulia how to attack a program over the summer.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh Laura...

I wish she could have left on her own terms. :(

That could have been a really stunning competition program.
  6. fan

fan Active Member

:sekret: says that beata papp will be training at the cricket club soon - no word on who will coach her. the rest of the papps will remain in vancouver.
  7. laguska

laguska Member

Looks like Timila Shrestha has changed club (and coach).
  8. thumbyskates

thumbyskates Member

That's still Vancouver - the Papps are all switching from 8 Rinks to the Cricket Club...
  9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

:confused: So there's a cricket club in Vancouver and Toronto?
  10. fan

fan Active Member

i was told that the rest of the papps would remain at 8 rinks (vancouver), and only beata would be at the cricket club (toronto) - this must be new news.
  11. laguska

laguska Member

Maybe Beata will tell herself soon. Her web site is up and running, but does not hold very much information yet.
  12. thumbyskates

thumbyskates Member

Oops - my bad. I should really stop posting in a tired state ;) I was told ALL the Papps would be moving to a similarly named local Vancouver club (not the Cricket Club). In my tired state, I read CC as said local Vancouver club. Regardless, I believe all are moving away from 8 Rinks...
  13. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Thank you! Gorgeous skating, gorgeous woman
  14. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

This made me check out a few different club websites for changes etc. and I noticed that Sara Honkavaara is not listed as a coach for EsJt anymore. What's up with that, does anyone know?
  15. laguska

laguska Member

Brian Orser, see here
  16. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

The national teams for 2012-2013 have been published!

NATIONAL TEAM (seniors & juniors)

EFIMENKO Liubov
    EFIMOVA Alisa
    HEDE Nelma
    KUPARINEN Rosaliina
    LAGUS Julian
    MÄÄTTÄNEN Lyydia
    NURMENKARI Ari-Pekka
    PITKÄNEN Noora
    PIRINEN Juho
    RANTANEN Seidi
    SAARINEN Jenni
    TOIKKANEN Emilia
    TURKKILA Juulia
    TYYSKÄ Samuli
    TÖRN Cecilia
    VERSLUIS Matthias
    VIIRI Nea
    VIRTANEN Valtter

Still without showing (will have another chance at the national team camp in August)

KORPI Kiira
    MARTIKAINEN Piamaria
    MIKONSAARI Alisa
    OLENIUS Tino
    PAPP Beata
    PAPP Bela
    SHRESTHA Timila
    SIMONEN Emilia
    VILJANEN Eveliina
    ZUBIK Viktor

NATIONAL JUNIOR TEAM (novices & younger)

GALAY Roman LrTL
    HIRVONEN Ilona LrTL
    HYRYLÄINEN Jea MTK
    KALLELA Joanna TapTL
    KLINOVITSKAYA Arina KoRe
    KUOKKANEN Karoliina HL
    LAINE Pinja TL
    LATVALA Roosa ETK
    LINDFORS Viveca TTK
    MURTO Hilla TRT
    NIEMI Emma KaTa
    PELTONEN Emmi EsJt
    RAUTIAINEN Jade KaTa
    SAKSELA Lilli EsJt
    TAPIO Mariela ETK
    UKKONEN Kaisa TapTL
    VOLODINAS Christianas LrTL

TALENT TEAM (mainly for skaters born between 2000 and 2003)

BERGLUND Ida HSK
    BLINOVA Alina KoRe
    HEINO Lotta JTL
    IGNATIUS Emma TL
    IKONEN Senja LL
    JÄRVENPÄÄ Anni TapTL
    KINNUNEN Iina LL
    KOKKO Iida TL
    KORSUMÄKI Sofia HSK
    KOSKINEN Mia TRT
    KUUSELA Sanni TapTL
    LAAKKONEN Petra TapTL
    LAINE Pilvi TL
    LANKILA Lauri ML
    LEPPÄNEN Jenny EsJt
    LINDFORS Monica TTK
    LOUHIKOSKI Doris EsJt
    LOUJINA Veronica OLK
    LÄHTEENMÄKI Krista TapTL
    LÖFGREN Charlotta PoriTa
    MATILAINEN Peppi TL
    NORDENSWAN Ellen ETK
    RUOKONEN Enja LL
    PIISPANEN Oona LrTL
    SIIRA Venny RTL
    SKOGBERG Anni EVT
    SULA Sofia LTL
    TIIHONEN Krista KuLS
    TUOMINEN Sara LTL
    WARÉN Kia EsJt
    WECKSTRÖM Emma LL
  17. laguska

laguska Member

18. icedance<3

icedance<3 New Member

19. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

How come Alisa Mikonsaari is not getting any funding. She more than proved herself in Nice when she reached the Top 24 in the World!!
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Is she American?

They'll be competing in Juniors next season?
  21. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Or French? There was another video of her in a solo competition where the announcing was in French. Plus the music is French and the names of the parents sound very French too.

Anyway, good for Jan Nordman. He had a lot of trouble with his previous (Russian) partner and her visa problems so it's good to know he has stayed motivated all this time and found a new partner.

ETA: Coaches sound French too so I think they train there.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  22. laguska

laguska Member

Alisa got funding from Finnish Figure Skating Foundation.

- Turkkila Juulia, Mikonsaari Alisa, Rantanen Seidi, Viljanen Eveliina, Efimenko Liubov, Määttänen Lyydia, Saarinen Jenni (2.000 EUR each)
    - Papp Bela, Zubik Viktor, Olenius Tino (2.000 EUR each)

- Partanen Jussiville & Aghai Sara (5.000 EUR)
    - Lindholm Max & Karmi Olesia (4.000 EUR)
    - Kanervo Ossi & Lindholm Henna (4.000 EUR)
  23. FinFan

FinFan New Member

24. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

IDC a.k.a. Ritti New Member

Kiira Korpi talked to Finnish media at the airport upon departure to South Korea for Yu-Na Kim's show:
    http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/32517-kiira-korpi-back-on-track

Here's a summary of what else she said:

When her foot injury (that kept her out of Worlds last spring) was being treated, they noticed that there was some muscular imbalance in her body.
    “My hip was in a twisted position, affecting my legs, back and whole body. Even my feet weren’t in an optimal position either.”

The problem might result from the sport – doing jumps and spins always in the same direction. During the summer she has been able to fix the problem a bit, but the work isn’t yet finished.

“I have a different feel of the ice now, and balance. And I don’t use as much energy, I think I know how to skate more economically. The future looks bright now that I’ve gotten rid of the ailments. I was forced to change the way I skate.”

She says that the end of Laura Lepistö’s skating career was tough news for her too, and made her think of her own future, but if things go well, dealing with the muscular imbalance now might bring extra years to her skating career.

She will debut her short program at Yuna Kim’s ice show in South Korea this weekend, but she won’t be skating the long program until at Finlandia Trophy in October.

”There won’t be a lot of changes to the elements. Some spins we had to modify because of new rule changes. The lutz has been added to the free. Now that I have no foot problems, I can do also toe jumps better.”
  25. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

^I am cautiously optimistic about Kiira after reading this.
  26. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Since there haven't really been any Finnish skating news all summer, I'll try to contribute a little bit. :drama:

The newest Fed magazine was published this week. There was an interview with Kiira but it was pretty much the same content Ritti already mentioned above.

Other than that there was Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari bitching about funding (what else is new :p). And stating that that was the reason for him to quit the sport. (Joking aside, I can't really comment on the funding situation because to be honest, I haven't really followed it closely :shuffle:.)

There was also a story about the Finnish ice dance teams having gone to train with Zoueva and V/M & D/W in Canton for the summer (together with Margaglio). Apparently it was an amazing experience for them.

There was also a nice story about the new promising Finnish youngsters (Efimenko, Määttänen, Saarinen etc.). I'm actually a bit surprised that the Fed sent none of these girls to the JGP circuit but instead went mostly with the "oldies" like Beata. I think these younger girls could have got some valuable experience and already started to build a name for themselves but I guess that'll wait until next year.

... which brings me to the interclub competition this weekend in Vierumäki where Liubov Efimenko skated a clean SP of 50 points (3lz-2t, 3f) and an FP with some mistakes that scored 77 points. Even considering slight point inflation, that's still a score that you'd think would've given her a JGP but NON. Personally I'm looking forward to see what's up with her basic skating and PCS this season. Last year she was an energetic little thing but I'd really like to see her with softer edges and more grace.

Kiira debuted her free program in the same competition today and scored - wheeee - 120 points. OK so there was a little extra but it was still a good skate for her standards. 5 triples (3t-3t, 3f, two 3lo's)! There was also a 3lz (and 3s) in her program, so many people will be happy to know that she's trying all the triples in her free again this season. :) Explanation for that can be read in Ritti's post above.

Oh, and I completely unexpectedly got to see Lepistö train one of her show numbers on Thursday. Dear me, I had forgotten how gorgeous it is to watch a skater with such posture and natural grace and :swoon: movement across the ice. And the layback. Pure :swoon: all the way. 3t-2t and 2a were still easy for her.

ETA: Just noticed from some Russian/Ukrainian forum that Jenni Saarinen won Junior ladies (her first junior event ever) in the Ice Star competition in Minsk with a total of 128 points! :cheer: That's fantastic! I hope there will be protocols at some point (but I'm not counting on it... :shuffle:).
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  27. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Kiitos Hanna, for information!
    :cheer2:Jenni Saarinen:cheer2:

I agree, it would have been a good idea to get these young ladies to do the GP.
    Nurmenkari really comes out bitter. He also said that he expresses his bitterness because he wants the younger male skaters to get more funding. And to be honest, the ladies have been those who have won the medals in recent years and got the sponsors both because of that (and because they have been media-sexy othewise).

As Eelin Paas writes in her column, in Finnish skating, the most interesting skaters in ladies and synchro are now in uniors and novices. But I hope the post-Nurmenkari era in senior men will have some epic battles. Versluis and Lagus have so good basics and charisma, I look very much forward to see them in Finlandia. Too bad for Papp´s back problems.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  28. matti

matti Active Member

Thanks Hanna and Finnice fo the update! :) Some exciting news!
  29. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

IDC a.k.a. Ritti New Member

In need/lack of proper Finnish skating news...:
    Juridicial obstacles (appeals against) the Tampere Central Arena have now been cleared, but the funding of the (megalomaniac) project still needs more private investors before they can start building.
    Article in Finnish: http://www.tamperelainen.fi/artikkeli/138830-”tiukalta-nayttaa”-–-keskusareenalla-otettiin-aikalisa
    (For those who don't know the story: Kiira Korpi's home city wants to build a huge deck above train tracks in the city centre and put a huge multi-purpose arena and a bunch of skyscrapers on it. The whole area has been designed by no other than Daniel Libeskind. :shuffle: )
  30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

31. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I know you found the protocols later and posted the link in the Ice Star competition thread ;) ... here's is Jenni Saarinen's winning FS from that competition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbsDni3u21g
  32. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Yes, and since this competition she has added a 3lz to her free and a 3t-3t to her short. :)
  33. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Good morning :)

I know some of you are involved with clubs and we never know who is reading here so I thought I'd drop by and leave my little announcement:
    Photographer bookings

In short we are trying to make coverage of smaller competitions profitable for the site and the photographer, which is a very difficult task to both, I'm working with my long time collaborator Tomas Whitehouse to cover the Finnish Qualifiers and later on Nationals, so if you could spread the word on the initiative I'd really appreciate it. Thank you ! :)
  34. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

watching Kiria more makes me think of How much I miss Laura :(
  35. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Who are you watching?
  36. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Kiira is a beautiful skater. Wish her all the best.
  37. joeperryfan

Entries list and results page for the 1st qualifiers in Helsinki this weekend:
    1st qualifiers
  38. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

so many ladies, so little men...
  39. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Unfortunately, that's the way it is here.

We'll have to start a separate "Road to Finnish Nationals" (or something) thread in the K'n'C with reports from the qualifiers. Should be interesting, especially with the super novices from last year having all moved up to juniors now.
  40. joeperryfan

Unfortunately that's the way it is in most countries...