Finnish skating news, part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maija, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

If she can come back, for that reason I really think we might see the type of performance Michelle Kwan gave at 98 Nats. I so hope that can happen. :( (((Laura)))

2. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

(((Laura)))

:wuzrobbed

First Jenni retired, and now maybe Laura....please, please get healthy again, I cross everything I have for her!! Her skating is just exquisite! (spelling..??)

3. Ankka

Ankka New Member

Just thought to write a bit about the state of the Finnish skating...

First of all, it's a real shame about Kiira and Laura. Just hope both of them get better soon.

Then: Looking at the early competitions this fall the young ladies have all changed a lot. I mean: Beata still has to learn to trust her very tall body but her jumps seem a lot more secure. I was very very impressed by the improvements in Alisa's skating, especially the basic skating and transitions in her SP. Yay! What really puzzles me is Juulia's skating. What has happened to her? Is it just that she's trying to make so many big changes that it falls apart in competitions or that she's not trusting herself?

Also: :eek: about the idea of Valtter Virtanen, quad attempts and his thoughts about trying out pairs. I mean, have we ever (since the Jacobssons) had anyone competing in pairs?

4. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

^ Ankka, Suvi Asikainen and Riku Pöyry were the last pair in seniors, they were Finnish champions 2003. Maija and Pekka Pekkala were 12th in Europeans 1983 and 17th in the Worlds same year.

Valtter Virtanen has indeed left Finland on Sunday and started to train pairs skating in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. He seems to be very motivated with that.

I agree that Beata and Alisa have learnt a lot. Juulia is still a very elegant skater with lovely spins and arm movements, but the jumps are not there. Maybe her goals after a very surprisingly succesful skater are too much for her now, but I really hope that she finds herself again.

I talked with Cecilia Törn yesterday, and she said she will be back and competes in the Finnish nationals in December. Her injuries are getting better.

Kiira at least said that everything is ok now and she is looking forward to her first GP competition.

5. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

oh, who is Valtter competing with? Has he a partner already?

6. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

Well, I think Virtanen may have a chance to do somewhat well in pairs. It's a shame, though, that there is still no pairs program in Finland or (correct me if I am wrong) other singles skaters willing to switch over to pairs. Finnice (or other Finnish posters), what do you think the prospects are for Finland to eventually begin a pairs program?

7. FinFan

FinFan New Member

Nea Viiri withdrawn from Wasa Cup, what's going on? Hanna? Maija? Only one week to the first qualifications...

8. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

That Laura video has seriously saddened me.

First and foremost, I just want her to be healthy again. And if she can skate, and skate the way she used to, well - I'll just be so thankful and appreciate all she does. This must be heartbreaking for her.

(((Sending her good thoughts)))

9. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

She also withdrew from her last JGP so I guess some sort of injury.

10. maija

maija Well-Known Member

I suppose her to compete in the first qualifications.

11. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Poor Turkkilla really seems to be struggling lately and if it's because she feels pressure to be the future of Finnish skating with Laura's ongoing injuries and Kiira's recent ones, then I feel very sorry for her. She is just 16 years old and still learning her triples so she should not feel such pressure. Poor thing, her scores this season have been a good 20-30 points lower than what she scored at Europeans and Worlds last season :(.

12. Ankka

Ankka New Member

Has anyone else noticed that the out of the Finnish ladies the one with the most difficult jumps seems to be Ljubov Efimenko, who's still in Novice? At the recent competition in Budapest she landed 3 Lz, 3 sal and 3 loops... :eek:

13. maija

maija Well-Known Member

She was born 1999 and is not yet eligible for Juniors (neither Seniors).:eek:

14. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

She also tried a 3f in the sp (rotated but fallen). That's pretty impressive. But then again rotating is somewhat easier for a girl her age that hasn't gone through puberty yet. In any case, it's better to enjoy it now since we never know what happens in a year or two. :) But I agree, it's very impressive. She won all three international competitions she participated in this fall.

Added to her, lots of other girls have been upping their jump content this fall, which is fantastic. Not all of them have been succesful yet but it's always a good sign when you try. Here's what I can remember

Timila Shrestha - 3f
    (Nea Viiri - 3lz)
    Seidi Rantanen - 3t-3t
    Nelma Hede - 3lo
    Lyydia Määttänen - 3lo

15. FinFan

FinFan New Member

The new rule for this season, in junior and senior level, was that there is not age requirements anymore. So, for examble Nelma Hede could be junior and Nea Viiri seniorskaters. And, I'm pretty sure that all those noviceyoungster will be juniors next season...

16. maija

maija Well-Known Member

Only nationally not internationally.

17. FinFan

FinFan New Member

of course

18. AnnaTheMusician

AnnaTheMusician New Member

Interesting, how many skaters there are in senior skaters (women) in Finnish National Championship:

http://www.taitoluistelu.koovee.fi/pages/sm-2012/osallistujat.php

I wonder how many of them is age eligible internationally. And who will be the other skater to EC and WC. Is it possible that STLL won't send anybody with Kiira to the big competitions when it seems that nobody (except Kiira) gets over 145 points? Who is the most potential skater? Beata? Alisa? Juulia? Timila (is she old enough)?

19. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

AnnaTheMusician, here's the thread for Finnish Nationals in the K'n'C. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80657

But to answer your question, I'm 99% sure that somebody will be sent with Kiira, even if they don't achieve the "required" 145 points. In fact, I doubt anybody will score that high. But somebody will be sent. Currently Alisa is the strongest name with 132.54 from NRW Trophy.

Nationals will be a very tough battle. I don't even know who I'm rooting for. Alisa wuzrobbed in the previous years so I really hope that won't happen this time if she skates well. And yes, Timila is eligible. The only one who's not eligible is Nea Viiri.

ETA: Oh and btw, Alisa was featured in today's Urheiluruutu. I just saw the last 20 seconds of it but I'll have to catch it on Yle Areena.

20. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I'll take my words back - I just got the newest Taitoluistelu magazine today and it's mentioned there that Timila Shrestha is not eligible for Euros because she doesn't have the required senior international. I had completely forgotten about that rule - again. :duh:

21. Grainne

Grainne New Member

do you know of any summer camps for skaters in finland (or anywhere in europe really that i can get cheap flights to). I'll be 21 and i'm Silver level here in Ireland which is last test before axel is required.

22. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I just realized there are vids of her Warsaw Cup performances on YouTube (for some reason I thought that the competitions she attended only had live streams but no archived videos). Here's the FS. It's impressive for a 12-year old and since this performance she's added a 3lz. I have a vid of her FS from an interclub last weekend where she does it but I haven't bothered uploading it on YouTube.

TES wise she's really good. I also like her energy but in general I'm not completely sold on her components yet. I hope she stays healthy and motivated and develops even further without major puberty problems. :)

I'd be interested in knowing what made her move here and start representing Finland. From what I know she's already been here for a few years.

23. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Yes, she is amazing technically. That is good, because surely the rest will come later, the main thing is that her jumping is really good. On that one can build.

I have never heard about this novice skater before, maybe her parents did move to Lahti because of work?

24. laguska

laguska Member

Ljubov did a very good SP today in novices 2nd qualifier in Tampere: 3S, 3Lo-2T, 2A all clean and nice, spins lv4 and sist lv3. She apparently lived in Kotka earlier (represented Kotkan Reipas) for some seasons. SP scores are here.
    Happy for Emmi Peltonen who landed 3S-2T, 2A and 3T also today!

25. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

IDC a.k.a. Ritti Well-Known Member

Photo of Laura Lepistö, spotted at the annual Finnish Sports Gala (where they announce the Athletes of the Year awards) that is taking place at the moment:
    http://www.iltalehti.fi/urheilu/201201160184312_ur.shtml

The 2011 Synchronized skating Worlds in Helsinki is a nominee for the Sports Event of the Year and the Most Thrilling Sports Moment of the Year award.

26. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

She looks great. Hopefully she can start training again some time soon. Europeans won't be the same without her this year :(.

27. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

As far as I know, she is training already - I read in the Taitoluistelu magazine that her foot can now endure up to 45 minutes of skating (wearing skates) at a time.
    However, it looks like she didn't appear at the New Year's exhibition in Oberstdorf (did she?) where she had been advertised as a member of the cast IIRC. I haven't heard anything about why she cancelled.

28. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

No, Laura skipped the Oberstodrf gala. I'm not sure if she felt unprepared, or if she still can't or isn't allowed to do certain things like jumps or flying spins. Being back on the ice at all still counts as good news, though!

29. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

From what I understood in the magazine, she's been on the ice for some time now but is still not doing jumps. She's taking things very slowly.

30. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.