Finnish skating news, part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maija, Apr 1, 2010.

1. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

After seeing his SP at Nebelhorn, I've started calling Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari ARihanna-Pekka Nurmenkari. ;)

2. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Seriously? No way. :scream: Short or free?

3. allezfred

As my post said, his short. ;)

It's to an instrumental version of "Love The Way You Lie".

4. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

:eek: :duh: :eek: :duh: Apparently I was so shocked by what I read that I forgot everything before the comma. :eek: :duh:

Anyway, :scream:!

5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I want to see this SP! Will he be on the GP this fall? :watch:

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

With the cuts to the number of entries? No way.

7. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Even without the cut of entries he wouldn't make it this season and frankly wouldnt deserve it either. But still... GO Ari-Pekka! :kickass: and become the male Gizmo if you want :D

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

He wasn't top 75 last season in an ISU event to be considered for a GP. The only way he would be -- at the bottom of the alternates list -- is if he were to win a fall Senior B and make the GP minimum total score. He missed GP minimum by quite a bit in the three senior B's in which he competed last season: Nordics, Ice Challenge, and Finlandia.

If he can earn a spot on FIN team for Euros and/or Worlds, he has met the TES minimums for championships (20 for SP, 35 for FS) at Nebelhorn (and very possibly at his competitions last season).

9. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

He won´t even be in Finlandia Trophy. As for he becoming male Gizmo, at least his hair colour is always blonde.

Kiira Korpi will have a press conference on Friday. I am off to France and computerless, but maybe some other Finn (Hanna?) will pass the information to FSU.

10. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Thank God for that :lol: I'd be sad if he didn't.

I know this is the finnish thread but since there isn't a swedish one I'll ask here in hopes someone knows this. I'm trying to figure out the swedish skating levels, I translate them on my site unless there isn't a possible translation.
    They have SM, JSM, USM and RM, I'm translating them as senior, junior, novice and juvenile, is this correct? Any suggestions?

Thanks ;)

11. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Don't tell me it's "I'm injured and have to withdraw from the Finlandia Trophy"? :scream: :( I seriously hope not.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you're right. Although I'm not even sure what "juvenile" is since Finland (and I think mosts of Europe) uses debytants, springs, cubs and chicks (instead of all those pre-novice, juvenile, intermediate and what else :lol: in the US).

But yeah, the first two are definitely senior and junior. U stands for "ungdom" = youth, which I think is novice in this case. RM is apparently also a category with both a short and a free so I'm not really sure about that though. In Finland the next after novice is debytants, which only has a free skate.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  12. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

What other reasons she would have to organize a press conference a week before Finlandia Trophy? :(

13. allezfred

It's a week before Finlandia Trophy and she wants to promote the fact that she will be there?

14. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I know. :(

Well, possibly. But then again she's never done that before. :confused: I don't know why but it just doesn't feel like this would be the case. I hope you're right though!

But if you add the fact that she already withdrew from the Japan Open due to leg pain... :shuffle:

ETA: Another thing re: Kiira. I was just randomly reading her Wikipedia page and it says that her SP for the upcoming season is Carmina Burana hip hop version? WTF? From what I know she's keeping last year's? :confused: Is somebody joking?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  15. kaiski

kaiski New Member

Kiira's SP will be the same, Somewhere over the Rainbow.
    Her new FP is I got Rhythm.
    Both She-Lynn Bourne's.

16. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Somebody is joking.
    :rolleyes:

And me, always the optimist, thinks that Kiira´s press conference can also be held behalf of all her sponsors, who want to promote their products via her.
    But let´s see.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yep: Debs, Springs, Cubs and Chicks are used at International Competitions in Europe for the levels below Junior.

In Poland, the equivalents are: Entry, Bronze, Silver and Gold.

18. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

IDC a.k.a. Ritti Well-Known Member

According to the invitation, Kiira's press conference will be about
    - recap of the summer
    - targets for the coming season.

I'm sinking back to oblivion now. :slinkaway:

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Northeagle

Northeagle New Member

Finlandia Trophy's already lost Laura Lepisto...
    all we need now is for a Kiira's forfait!

20. AnnaTheMusician

AnnaTheMusician New Member

Somebody wrote that in Golden skate forum in June and that's the only place I've seen this weird statement - and somebody added that also to wikipedia. As far I've heard she is keeping her old lovely SP.

Please, please, let her be allright tomorrow!

And Hanna, thanks for the interesting speculation of our promising stars!

21. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

In Sweden we have
    SM - Svensk Mästare - Swedish National Champion Senior (age 15 on July 1st)
    JSM - Junior Svensk Mästare - Swedish National Champion Junior (age 13 - 18 on July 1st)
    USM - Ungdom Svensk Mästare - Swedish National Champion youth (age 10-15 on July 1st)
    RM - Ungdom Rikes Mästare - Swedish National Champion youth (age 10- 13 on July 1st)
    Miniorer - minor than age 11

22. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

Kiira withdraws from Finlandia Trophy.
    Finnish Figure Skating Association's press release

The recovery from the foot injury she got in July has forced her to lighten her training, although she is back on ice now and there's no pain in the foot, she and her coaching team decided it's better to focus on training and be in great shape for the major competitions. Her goals are to make the GPF, "brighten up the medal" at Euros and be in top 5 at Worlds.
    Her new LP (I Got Rhythm by George Gershwin), choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne, is "strong and feminine, dancey, and looks exactly like myself". Also, David Wilson has made a Lady Gaga exhibition program for her. :cool:

23. IDC a.k.a. Ritti

Videos of Laura Lepistö's press conference yesterday...
    http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/muutlajit/uutiset.shtml/2011/10/1401948/lepisto-puhkesi-kyyneliin---tiedotustilaisuus-keskeytyi?taitoluistelu
    http://www.iltalehti.fi/nettitv/?32067662

Basically, she said she is not giving up yet, left in tears, and was only able to continue talking to the media after a few minutes break.
    Lepistö withdrew from TEB and will be off ice until November. She can't wear skates at the moment because the boot causes too much pressure to the nerves. She also implies she needs some rest from all the stress caused by the recent injuries.

24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

((Laura)) :( I hope she can make a full recovery.

25. kalle

kalle New Member

Oh poor Laura, it is really heartbreaking :fragile:
    I hope she will be able to get through her injuries, she is such a beautiful skater.

26. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed My best wishes to Laura!

27. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

(((Laura)))
    I hope she will return soon, it's heartbreaking to retire because of injuries :(((

28. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I haven't been commenting on this much because I really don't know what to say. It's heartbreaking.

Seeing Laura, who is always completely poised and professional in every interview, breaking down (in the second link from Ritti) really wakes you up to the reality of the situation.

I really hope there will be a reward for her and her patience. The mental strength needed to handle the situation is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  29. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  30. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

It is heartbreaking to see her like this. :( One could see her fight for composure so much.

But on the other hand it is great to see how much skating means to her. If there is a way she will be back just for the pure love of it.

(((Laura)))