Final Shuttle Launch about to take place at 11:26

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Satellitegirl, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw it on tv. Sad day for space explaration but hopefully once things get better economically the US goverment will give NASA more funds. I am a huge supporter of the space program.

3. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah I agree it was sad. I hope NASA gets more funding as well...and also starts pushing new space missions that don't only involve the space station. Getting serious about another trip to the moon, or a trip to Mars, would be nice.

4. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

The moon; been there done that....let's participate in a global initiative to get manned (womanned) :) spacecraft to Mars.

5. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

The moon might have been done, but not in my lifetime that I can recall! I'd still find it cool, though Mars would be even better.

6. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Anyone else here remember watching our first manned space flight--Alan B. Shepard? It was such an exciting time for America. On a related note, many of the shuttle teams were trained to film on their missions by a man who hails from the little bitty Arkansas town where I live. His name is James Neihouse, and he's one of the foremost IMAX 3D cinematographers in the world. He's been very involved with the space program for a long time.

http://www.1570films.com/

7. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember sitting in class and listening to the radio coverage of Alan B. Shepard's short flight into space. :cool:

I am really saddened by the end of the shuttle program and I actually cried at the liftoff of Atlantis. So very, very glad that we made the effort to see an actual launch in person. :D

Perhaps the space shuttle program was antiquated but it was still useful until the next step of the American Space program was ready to go. I heard on the news last night that the Russians are already upping the price to carry our people up to the ISS - blackmail by any other name......:rolleyes:

More moon landings are necessary in order to establish a jumping off point to Mars. And all efforts in that direction are not only already 30 years behind but there is no current date for this to happen.

My bet? China will be the next people to land on the moon. :(