Final season of American Idol AI15

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
MJ is rarely wrong. If there's a whoops, it'll be corrected by Tuesday when its source sees the final cut of the green mile show. We also have the possibility of someone dropping or not passing the final check they do before the live shows start.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I can't wait to see what lame excuse they use on Jessica for cutting her. Or else she won't even appear on the green mile at all. She'll just fade away.

Allskate

Yeah, Jessica didn't have the beauty of a Caleb Johnson. ;) :p

I know. They might have a bit of a double standard. I do think Jessica is prettier than some of the ones who went through, but I do think that looks entered into the decisions generally. But, really, I'm just trying to think of a reason, based on the comments of the judges, for why she wouldn't be in the top 24. She also seems like she has a pretty good head on her shoulders, so it's not like she would pull out the way that Poh did. It's just baffling. I do hope we get an explanation. A lot of times, good singers just disappear into the Idol reject ether with no explanation.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Voice really is watching. They do seek out people for their auditions.

PeterG

I've always wondered about having judges who are still creating music and want to sell albums. Do they really want to introduce somebody to the world who could out-sell them? With Randy, Paula and Simon, they weren't concerned about competition, they only wanted to find a great entertainer to introduce to the world. Jennifer Lopez doesn't want some young belter to come along and make her recording career more difficult. Keith Urban doesn't want some younger country dude with less stupid hair to fight him for the #1 spot on the country chart. Even if they let somebody go and it's subliminal... I feel the same way about The Voice. And their track record is way worse than American Idol than finding a successful musical act.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Voice really is watching. They do seek out people for their auditions.

It seems over the last few years, both shows have been happy to look over the outcasts from the other show and put them on their stage. Same thing has happened with America's Got Talent. And probably in the early days of AI from Star Search before them?

moebius

At her auditions, Harry said she was tremenous, one of the best singers he'd heard, and that he'd be surprised if she didn't go really hard. He did kind of imply that he didn't think she was very physically attractive and they do take looks into account, but they certainly have let through others who don't look like models. So, we'll see.
The 'off the grid' girl was not as attractive as Jessica. Yet she made it through to top 24.

Allskate

I've always wondered about having judges who are still creating music and want to sell albums. Do they really want to introduce somebody to the world who could out-sell them? With Randy, Paula and Simon, they weren't concerned about competition, they only wanted to find a great entertainer to introduce to the world. Jennifer Lopez doesn't want some young belter to come along and make her recording career more difficult. Keith Urban doesn't want some younger country dude with less stupid hair to fight him for the #1 spot on the country chart.

I don't think that Keith is worried about that. He's more talented than any of the country guys we've seen and even the most popular of the country Idols hasn't come close to his success. It is really weird, though, when he lets a less talented country singer in, but just rejected a clearly more talented one. I do think he's willing to just do the producers's bidding, and who knows what they're thinking. The producers put a lot more emphasis on looks and back story than they do on artistry and vocals. And they like adding youngsters to appeal to a younger audience.
Maybe this is part of the explanation for off the grid girl -- young back story, appealing to the heavily southern/country audience? Because it certainly isn't that she sings better than Jessica.

As for Jennifer Lopez, she really can't sing very well. I wonder if that causes her either to resent those who do sing well or to genuinely value looks and a certain kind of stage presence much more than vocal talent.

Aceon6

As for Jennifer Lopez, she really can't sing very well. I wonder if that causes her either to resent those who do sing well or to genuinely value looks and a certain kind of stage presence much more than vocal talent.
I think there's a bit of truth to that. JLo made it mostly on stage presence and looks. She didn't start really working on her singing until later. She's much better now, but could barely sing in her heyday.

Allskate

So, apparently the judges are going to choose the top ten and then America starts to vote. That doesn't bode well for me. I don't share their taste. They were raving about Tristan while I was thinking that she really shouldn't have fought so hard for that song because it didn't work that well for her voice. It seems the producers really like Thomas Stringfellow. Slezak showed footage from last week of Thomas singing, with a cut to a girl saying he was so good. And then they pointed out that Thomas was sitting right behind the girls as she said that, so she couldn't have been talking about him. :lol: He really doesn't do much for me, but I don't think the producers see me as their target audience. Lee Jean is my favorite of the young guys. I do agree with the judges that the girls are stronger than the guys. There aren't five guys who I really want to see. (Maybe the reason Dalton's guitar wasn't on was because he wasn't really playing it much?)

I guess Slezak doesn't follow spoilers. He is predicting Jessica Cabral as a potential winner. :lol: She still sounded really good tonight even though she was sick.

moebius

I liked Tristan during the auditions, but not today. I don't think I have a favorite female singer so far that they showed tonight. I did like Chynna, the 15-16 yr old girl they showed on the last day of auditions. She showed a lot a poise and maturity for her age. I also kinda like Olivia's and Sonika's audition. For the dudes, none of them are strong singers, but some are interesting to watch like Mackenzie (clever medley of the judges songs) who I remembered was on Cee Lo's team on the Voice, Dalton (interesting take of Music Of the Night and Hopelessly Devoted To You), Lee, Zach Person (the blues dude shown on the last audition), and I'll throw in Andrew the cute Russian guy for eye candy who has a pretty good voice.

I wonder if the top 10 has been chosen yet...

Last edited:

BigB08822

Wait, Cabral doesn't make it!? She was phenomenal from the clips I saw. I guess they are going after the singer-songwriter folksy type again this year? She could sing and belt and had such amazing tone. Not like I was planning on watching anyway but that solidifies that.

my little pony

polishing Madison Hubbell's OGM
all of geneva's outfits have to include a hat and a scarf and a little bag for her jerky or what not. she looks like she is auditioning for pony express: the musical.

Allskate

Wait, Cabral doesn't make it!? She was phenomenal from the clips I saw.

Jessica Cabral is not listed as making the top 24. The judges are in the middle of cutting the top 24 to the top 14. They did a group of 12 yesterday and cut five. The other 12 will go next week. (This is all being taped). Apparently, today they announced that the last week of February, the top 14 will perform. The judges will choose eight. America will only get to choose two wild cards. Then, by the first week in April, they will have the winner.

ETA: I'm guessing that the reason they didn't show Jessica's performance tonight (and just showed her crying when they told her she was getting the boot) is that it would have made the show look even more idiotic for cutting her. But, The Voice already has contacted her. :lol:

Last edited:

moebius

Awww... cute Russian guy didn't make it. He should've made it, instead of any of the males besides Mackenzie, Lee, Dalton. Overall the females are stronger than the males, but I'm rooting for the 3 males I just mentioned. I kinda liked Avalon's and Sonika's showcase performance. I don't think Brenda K. Starr's daughter did justice to her song. What's up with Brenda disputing with Ricky Minor???

Aceon6

ETA: I'm guessing that the reason they didn't show Jessica's performance tonight (and just showed her crying when they told her she was getting the boot) is that it would have made the show look even more idiotic for cutting her. But, The Voice already has contacted her. :lol:
I suspect she gave a kick-ass performance. I could tell from the quizzical looks in the holding room that there was a lot of "how the heck did that one get through/cut?"

I think all the strong girls will cancel each other out. Unless there's some sort of change in how the judges critiques go, there's a good possibility that we will have another WGWG winner.

taf2002

I suspect she gave a kick-ass performance. I could tell from the quizzical looks in the holding room that there was a lot of "how the heck did that one get through/cut?"

I think all the strong girls will cancel each other out. Unless there's some sort of change in how the judges critiques go, there's a good possibility that we will have another WGWG winner.

I am irate over Jessica Cabrel being cut. And she didn't even get her own green mile edit, she was montaged. I thought she got the biggest "how the heck did SHE get cut" reaction from the other singers.

I agree with:
Trent - guy with mono
Tristan - girl with military mom, not sure she's ready but like her voice
Kory - barista from last year
Adam Lasher - guy cut unfairly last year
Avalon - tomboy girl
Shelbie Z - refugee from The Voice
LaPorsha - girl with baby (as if anyone could forget her)
Emily - last girl cut last year
Lee Jean - love the soul in his voice & mature sound
Sonika - gorgeous voice, unfairly got the bitch edit in group round
CJ Johnson - he sounds like a pro, probably would have done better on The Voice

Don't care one way or another:
Mackensie
Dalton (pretty to look at though)
Jenna Renae
Olivia
Amelia
Gianna
Manny

Strongly disagee with:
Jenn - quirky is all well & good but the voice break at the end of every line is annoying
Jevera - the corn-pone edit is just a little too much for me
Thomas Stringfellow - decent voice but I hate the way he cuts off the end of each line
Stephany
James III - great guitarist but weak singer

Allskate

Still don't know their names but whoever that ditzy blonde girl is with the cracky voice ... geez I hate her! :p

Which is why she'll probably be chosen by the producers/judges for the top 8. I'm convinced that they have a formula that includes at least one very divisive singer, at least one diva belter, at least one country singer, and at least one or two cute and sweet teenagers. The singer you're talking about is like the Joey Cook of this season.

moebius

Which is why she'll probably be chosen by the producers/judges for the top 8. I'm convinced that they have a formula that includes at least one very divisive singer, at least one diva belter, at least one country singer, and at least one or two cute and sweet teenagers. The singer you're talking about is like the Joey Cook of this season.

At least Joey comes up with more interesting versions of the songs she sings half of the time. Jenn is hella annoying and not even a good singer or doesn't even come up with unique versions of the songs she sings. She always seems 'high'. Is that an act or is that how she really is?

PeterG

For the most part, I found tonight to be rather hit or miss. And I felt the opposite of the judges a number of times. Tonight's best:

James VIII - Love Lockdown. Easily the best performance of the night. And where I disagreed with the judges the most. Maybe they were pulling a reverse psychology thing...be tough on this guy so more people vote for him?

Sonika Vaid - Safe and Sound. Really good. Plus she came ready to win with not just being performance-ready, but looking like a million dollars in one of the most beautiful outfits that's ever been seen on this show.

Avalon Young - Love Yourself. I really liked this, but the tempo seemed rush and it was maybe in a key a bit too high for her. Maybe this was a part of Keith telling her that she should be willing to direct the band to do things differently.

James and Avalon need to take a page out of Sonika's book and think about dressing to impress. Sonika looked like royalty and James and Avalon looked like auxiliary workers who would be cleaning out the ballroom when the dance was over.

La'Porsha Renae - Proud Mary. Pretty much an over-done song. She was good, but I don't recommend most people try to out-Tina Ms. Turner. It's kind of a losing battle.

Jenna Renae - My Church. Well done. :)

Then a couple of "whatever" numbers and then five horrible performances:

Emily Brooke - I Am Invinsible. I've liked all of her performances, but tonight...it hurt my ears... :fragile:

Gianna Isabella - I Put A Spell On You. Not good. Plus I hate this song. Never need to ever hear it again.

Thomas Sasser - All By Myself. Best makeover of the season. Then he shoots himself in the foot by talking about his turtle obsession and how he will not be showing the viewing public his underwear. And then he songs Celine Dion and not just any Celine song, but one of the schmaltziest songs she's ever recorded. Guys can't usually make a Celine song work and here's an example of a wondrous FAIL.

Thomas Stringfellow - Creep. The most horrible sounding thing that has ever muddied up the American Idol stage. MY EARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Allskate

James VIII - Love Lockdown. Easily the best performance of the night. And where I disagreed with the judges the most. Maybe they were pulling a reverse psychology thing...be tough on this guy so more people vote for him?

Nope. This is when James was cut. Check out the list here and be very confused, though not as confused and frustrated as Jessica Cabral.

Aceon6

@PeterG To my ears James was just a hair off and I can't put my finger on it. From the spoiler on MJ's, I think the judges got it mostly right.

Oh, one other thing. I don't associate All By Myself with Celine. Track down Eric Carmen's and you may hear what Sasser was failing to go for. Then compare that to Harry Nilsson's to see what Eric was failing to go for.

Last edited:

taf2002

For the most part, I found tonight to be rather hit or miss. And I felt the opposite of the judges a number of times. Tonight's best:

Sonika Vaid - Safe and Sound. Really good. Plus she came ready to win with not just being performance-ready, but looking like a million dollars in one of the most beautiful outfits that's ever been seen on this show.

Avalon Young - Love Yourself. I really liked this, but the tempo seemed rush and it was maybe in a key a bit too high for her. Maybe this was a part of Keith telling her that she should be willing to direct the band to do things differently.

James and Avalon need to take a page out of Sonika's book and think about dressing to impress. Sonika looked like royalty and James and Avalon looked like auxiliary workers who would be cleaning out the ballroom when the dance was over.

La'Porsha Renae - Proud Mary. Pretty much an over-done song. She was good, but I don't recommend most people try to out-Tina Ms. Turner. It's kind of a losing battle.

Jenna Renae - My Church. Well done. :)

Then a couple of "whatever" numbers and then five horrible performances:

Emily Brooke - I Am Invinsible. I've liked all of her performances, but tonight...it hurt my ears... :fragile:

Gianna Isabella - I Put A Spell On You. Not good. Plus I hate this song. Never need to ever hear it again.

Thomas Sasser Jordan - All By Myself. Best makeover of the season. Then he shoots himself in the foot by talking about his turtle obsession and how he will not be showing the viewing public his underwear. And then he songs Celine Dion and not just any Celine song, but one of the schmaltziest songs she's ever recorded. Guys can't usually make a Celine song work and here's an example of a wondrous FAIL.

Thomas Stringfellow - Creep. The most horrible sounding thing that has ever muddied up the American Idol stage. MY EARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

You & I have very different taste in music. I've thought from the 1st that James VIII has a pleasant little voice but he's out of his element here. I was surprised you put him in the category of one of last night's best.

My best is Avalon, Sonika, & Mackensie. I didn't like Mackensie's song choice but everything else was spot on. I'm putting LaPorsha 4th because nothing of her performance was original.

In the "they did ok but forgettable" category I put Stephany, Jeneve, & Gianna. In the "please just go away" I put Jenna, Emily, Thomas, & Jordan. I didn't want to put Jenna & Emily in this category because they were some of my early favorites but I thought they did horrible.

quartz

scratching at the light
I finally had a chance to watch last night, after missing it for a few weeks. The only one that stood out for me was Sonika. Very beautiful voice, and seemed very comfortable on stage. I see quite a few like Avalon (love her name), and I also like how she is keeping her own style and not getting all glamorized, but I don't find her voice appealing. To my ear it is abrasive, not smooth. Did not like LaPorsha at all.

shan

I feel like the judges are speaking, but I don't understand what they are really saying.

Alixana

Definitely NOT a sonogram
I think the final 7 should include Lauren, Ruben, Caleb and Fantasia. ;) And I'd forgotten how much I loved Ruben's voice.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
I haven't watch all season but this girl with Scotty? Thank goodness Keith spoke truth, WTF is true

PeterG

Interesting that no men made it through. Five females and two boys. But the tweens love their non-threatingly semi-cute boys to speed-vote for. I'm fine with MacKenzie going through. But Thomas is so bad. His vocal affections are through the roof and are incredibly annoying. I can't believe he is going through and James is going home. Although that was definitely one of James' lesser performances. Didn't help that he had the powerhouse that is Caleb to duet with! :yikes: And Jeneve getting the okay over someobody like Stephany? Jeneve has had better performances than tonight, but her singing "Gone" should have maybe been a sign as to where she should be heading. Jeneve is a sweet kid, but she's a gimmick for this show. There's no chance she will win and there's no chance she will have any career of significance in the entertainment world. :(

I think the final 7 should include Lauren, Ruben, Caleb and Fantasia. ;) And I'd forgotten how much I loved Ruben's voice.

Yes, they were all really good. Too bad they had to share the stage with...whoever was standing next to them! :lol: Speaking of the "old-timers", Fantasia just released a new single in January called "No Time For It". It is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeANVMbkxxY

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information