Figure Skating Sisters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jun 13, 2013.

Which pair of figure skating sisters was the most talented?

1. Karen and Michelle Kwan

40 vote(s)
    38.8%
  2. Mai and Mao Asada

27 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Emily and Sarah Hughes

20 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Viktoria and Yoshie Helgesson

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Amber and Alissa Czisny

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. Other

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Are the Owen sisters the only ones who competed in different disciplines? It seems that most of the pairs mentioned competed in the same discipline (i.e., the Kwan, Asada and Hughes sisters were all ladies singles skaters; the Denny sisters are both pairs)

2. aussieSKATES

aussieSKATES Member

A little bit off topic, but in Australia there are four brothers from Queensland, Andrew, Jordan, Ryan and Matthew Dodds, who skate at the novice, junior and senior level in the men's and pairs events.

Andrew and Jordan have skated at the international level on the JGP circuit in men's singles and pairs as well.

3. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

There are of course the Stiegler sisters.

4. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

The Helgessons seem to have taken another turn in sibling rivalry. I see Joshie is competing in Japan, while Viktoria is staying home after a disastrous Sochi Olympics. Is Viktoria retiring?

5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I haven't heard anything about her retirement.. I thought she was just not chosen for the team because her Olympics was so bad. Joshi won Nationals anyhow, I think.

6. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

You forgot Fumie Suguri and Chika Suguri. Also Rachael Flatt and Kevin Reynolds.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  7. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

I voted for the Asadas, though I'd have voted for the Owens given the chance.

Oddly, I always enjoyed/connected with Karen's skating more than Michelle's. *shrug*

8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I like that Joshie decided to portray a tropical bird (or something) in her short program this year. I think she deserved a lot of credit for being creative.

9. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

They competed in different disciplines but Kristy Sargeant-Wirtz (pairs) and Lisa Sargeant (singles) of Canada were both national champions at one point and have the same best result at the World Championships (6th).

Joshi looks like she's turning a corner in terms of style, looking less gangly and awkward compared to when she was in Juniors.
    Hope the next 4 years sees further development in this regard.

10. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I really liked Joshie's program and hope she hangs in for as long as she can.

11. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

Candice and Gwendoline Didier were not related.

12. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

The poll results are a bit of a joke, no?

Karen Kwan - never made it to Worlds or the Olympics

Mai Asada - never made it to Worlds or the Olympics (but did place 6th at 4CC one year)

Emily Hughes - made it to Worlds twice (top ten both times) and made it to the 2006 Olympics (top ten again)

Viktoria and Yoshie Helgesson - Victoria made it to Worlds six times, placed 10th at her best, placed 27th at 2014 Olympics…Yoshi made it to Worlds once (placed 15th) and never made it to an Olympics

Amber Czisny - not only never made it to Worlds or the Olympics, only made it to Senior Nationals once and only placed 20th

How could one vote for anyone other than the Hughes?