Figure skating online flash game

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by CantALoop, Jun 21, 2010.

1. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if anybody has posted this, but here's a game I hadn't seen before:

http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/figureskating.jsp

Basically you draw figure to execute skating moves. Figure skating with actual figures? Shock!

It's actually pretty fun, and a lot better than the only other figure skating game I've seen online. There's actually a hint or two of an element of strategy in planning your jumps, because executing a tough jump with a long preparation might cause you to miss the next element if you're too slow.

Other funny things I noticed:

• Falling on a jump is worth more points than having a "fair" execution. :p
    • Spins are more about speed and quantity than quality of the rotations.
    • A waxel/death drop "butterfly jump" is considered the second hardest jump in figure skating. :rofl:
    • Base values/GOE for jumps is hilarious. You can have a "fair/good" triple axel and end up scoring less than a "perfect" toe loop. :confused:
  2. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

What was your highest score, CantALoop?

Mine was 95.76 out of a 93.50 base value.

When I got to Vancouver, I tried to have a variety of elements and put some difficulty in. Then I realized that I'd be a lot more successful if I code-whored and just worried about execution.

So I loaded my routine with 4 Double Lutzes and 1 Single Toe Loop. I started having trouble with the Footwork, so I did one level 2 FW and one level 1. I had a horrible time with the figure 8 type moves so I didn't bother with the Biellman spin/spiral, Camel spin, Triple Axel or the Level 3 Footwork. I instead did a Sit Spin and a Layback Spin and did two Kerrigan spirals.

I realized that I scored higher doing those easier moves well than trying for more difficult elements and getting a good or fair rating. I learned a valuable lesson in Code-whoring after winning gold in Vancouver. :p
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  3. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Sooooo read figure skating online "flesh" game! Whew!
  4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch New Member

Are you Laura Lepisto in disguise? ;)
  5. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I meet the system requirements, but it keeps crashing both IE and Firefox every time I try to play. :(
  6. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

boy her transitions suck :p
  7. CantALoop

Not to mention her rollerblader-esque skating skills are no teknik :p Besides, if a girl can land 5 triple axels in the same program, she doesn't need transitions! :plush:

I remember once scoring just barely above 100 and change with a base value of 94.75. I usually score just below 100 if I get perfects on all the Lutzes My layout is:

2Lz, Kerrigan, LSp, StSq2, 2Lz-2Lz-2Lz, Kerrigan, StSq2, 2Lz, SSp

Yes, with all my jumps being 2Lzs, I'm a code-whore as well :lol: I've gotten really quick at the 2Lz command, so doing the three-jump sequence is no problem. One of them with all perfects nets usually 9.something.

I have trouble with the figure eight commands as well, so I do the same thing as you and don't go for the camel or Biellmann spin/spirals. I've noticed that the funky Kerrigan star pattern tends to be judged more leniently than the Biellmann. I could draw a mutated starfish and it'd score higher than even my most perfect figure eight.

As for spins, I just spam half-assed circles to get 20+ rotations. They're a guaranteed 9 points if I get enough of 'em in.

I go for level 2 steps because I'd rather forget the figure eights in the level 3 sequence. Even with half perfects (I don't think I've ever had a perfect step sequence), I've never got more than base value on one.
  8. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Meanwhile, I'm stuck in Moscow. Is there a secret to winning this level? Even when all the tricks go as well as possible in isolation the score seems to come up short.... :(

Maybe a well placed bottle of vodka?
  9. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

10. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I kept getting distracted by the flash photography. :drama:
  11. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

This is ridiculously addictive.
  12. Valentina

Valentina New Member

yep...:swoon:
  13. IneZR

IneZR New Member

I've been playing it for hours.:D
  14. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

I am enjoying this game way too much! Thanks for posting the link!:)
  15. Aaron MB Fan

Aaron MB Fan Active Member

Have any of you ever played Vancouver 2010 Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games on the Wii? It has a figure skating competition in that game too.

Not sure who came out with it first, but the figure skating competition in the Mario & Sonic Vancouver game is designed just like this shockwave one.

Same idea of constructing a program on your own. You don't get to choose outfits and what your player looks like, but you use a Mario or Sonic character to skate to one of eight or so pieces of classic figure skating music. It's so much fun!
  16. wvsuguy85

wvsuguy85 New Member

I am having the same problem. Anyone know a solution for this?
  17. kappa_1

kappa_1 New Member

Thanks for recommending this; it's sooooo addictive and fun!
  18. IneZR

IneZR New Member

I just had a really bad meltdown in Moscow. 66.60 points with two falls.:drama:
  19. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Cue the FSUniverse on whether you should quit your eligible career and/or what you need to do to get back on the podium...
  20. VIETgrlTerifa

I heard IneZR's skater did an unsanctioned show after her Moscow meltdown. I think we should revoke her eligibility.
  21. IneZR

IneZR New Member

:lol:
  22. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

This game really is addicting lol
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  23. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

This game is so addictive. I'm on the Munich level.

ETA: I just had my own meltdown in Moscow. :lol:
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  24. IneZR

IneZR New Member

So, has anybody passed the Moscow level? It's driving me crazy that I can't get past the 73.92 mark.:angryfire
  25. VIETgrlTerifa

Don't do any other jump than Double Lutzes. Work on your Double Lutz technique. If you can score over 8 points with Double Lutzes, then you should be fine. Work on your level 2 FW and only do layback and sit spins to try to get at least a high 7.

If you have trouble with the Double Lutzes, then just do Single Toe Loops. A perfect Single Toe Loop should let you score 8.40 range. For your spiral, just do Kerrigan spirals, those are easy.
  26. CantALoop

Pretty much everything VIETgrlTerifa said, go with the jumps with easy commands and forget about the butterfly waxel and the 3A.

I scored 77.12 in Moscow with 1T, arabesque, 1T, StSq1, LSp, arabesque, 1T, SSp, 1T, so it's possible to win even with the most basic of elements as long as you don't hemorrhage execution points.

One big boost to my score was figuring out how to spin. Don't try to go for big, beautiful, perfect circles - just spam as much tight circles as possible. Getting bad/fair marks on a spin doesn't seem to detract from the element score.

10 perfect/good revs on a sit/layback might earn you ~7 points while 20+ "fair" revolutions will earn you 9 points.
  27. VIETgrlTerifa

Seriously. I once did a perfect Butterfly jump and scored the same as a perfect double Lutz. I also found that it's better to do well on 2 of the 3 moves for the Triple Axel and fail the third step than it is to do all 3 steps only do it fairly. I went from scoring in the 8.0 range by falling on my Triple Axel to scoring in the mid-5 range for landing my Triple Axel, but getting fairs on 2 of the 3 steps. Not worth it at all.
  28. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

OK, so after completing all the levels, I went back to the beginning. I was doing fine until Moscow. Now, every time I do the second spiral, I end up gliding right over my final jump, resulting in a missed element. It's happening every time, no matter which spiral I do or which jump I have planned. I don't seem to have any control over it. I don't understand this, because it wasn't a problem the first time I was playing the game, and I can't think of anything that I'm doing differently from before. Any ideas?:confused:
  29. VIETgrlTerifa

Start the spiral earlier. Do the tracing as early and as quickly as possible. If you start it too late, you run the risk of gliding over the jumping pass.
  30. vassily

vassily New Member

Can't get passed Moscow level too! ;) Fun game.
  31. CantALoop

This. Studying the program layout and planning elements that you can execute quickly becomes very important in the later stages, especially when you have jump "sequences" where it might be worth it to do a simple 1T or arabesque so you don't zero out on the next element.
  32. Karpenko

just beat lillehammer, that kerrigan spiral tracing is hard. Anybody break 100 yet?? :D I've got like 95 as my high
  33. VIETgrlTerifa

I hate it when Vancouver "cheats" and makes your final pose a figure 8, especially if the rest of the routine was going really well. That's an extra 3 points that I could miss!
  34. IneZR

IneZR New Member

Thanks for the tips, guys! Off to practice my double lutzes and Kerrigan spiral!:)
  35. CantALoop

Gah, that just happened to me after hitting all my lutzes and getting a surprise perfect Kerrigan :eek:

Totally :wuzrobbed:
  36. IneZR

IneZR New Member

Yep, I made it. Beijing, baby!:encore:
  37. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I just make a puffy cloud/tree-top shape and usually will give me a 'good' for it. :p
  38. VIETgrlTerifa

My highest score was a 99.46. I got 9s on both my spins and nearly perfect footwork sequences and I got two perfects on my Kerrigan spiral. However, I only got a "good" on my final pose, and for some reason, my Double Lutzes have been giving me trouble. I can't get 3 perfects anymore. I did 2 perfects out of 5.

Typical...
  39. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

are the skaters on the scoreboard bots or actual online competitors Lol
  40. Karpenko

my spins really suck, cant get more than 16 revs, i suppose it doesnt help that i have a touch mouse and am on laptop.. :shuffle:

my highest so far is 94.66, I've got the double lutz down :D