Figure Skating on Canadian TV

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by manhn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/broadcast/

Times based on Pacific Time (unless stated otherwise)

CBC

BOLD (interesting)

No news announced by CTV.
    LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  2. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

So happy to hear that CBC is showing the Grand Prix events. :cheer2:
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

CTV will have the coverage of Skate Canada as they have the contract with Skate Canada for "their" events.
  4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thank heavens for Canadian coverage!
  5. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I thought that with the whole shake up at CBC we'd get almost nothing. I'm so happy. I can watch it all live on the ISU live stream since I'll be in Australia, India and SE Asia, and then watch it again on DVD later thanks to kwanfan1818 who is a :rockstar:.

And I'll be back in Vancouver for exactly the week of worlds so can get to see it on CBC. And Bold!!!! Let's hope that actually happens. Perhaps the new owners are going to keep some of the old programming e.g. figure skating!

I'm so happy :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
  6. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Great news! :cheer2:
  7. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Thanks Manhn, great news. But I'm confused as I thought CBC sold BOLD - and coverage is being shown on CBC BOLD?

ETA: I checked back and the news was that CBC was to sell BOLD. No subsequent news that it changed its mind. So it remains perplexing that they are scheduling FS on BOLD, if they are still trying to sell it.

Maybe no one wants to buy it, or buy it at a decent price? In which case, hanging on to it might be the best options? Hoping this is the case.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  8. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

There was a news story in late August that indicated that a buyer had been found but they were awaiting approvals: http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/media-centre/2012/08/17/

The contract that CBC has with the ISU might specify the amount of coverage so this might have been built into the sale agreement. Here's hoping we'll get what they are advertising!
  9. tut88

tut88 New Member

Good news !!!!!!!!!!!
  10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

11. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

YAY! Love watching the Bold coverage with PJ's commentary.
  12. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes!!! good news :)
  13. Japanfan

This makes sense. Possibly Speedy - in all his slimy glory - has established criteria for giving countries access to ISU stream. Perhaps the ISU retains the right to offer coverage if a country has no broadcaster to match its coverage. And CBC's paltry coverage is no match for the ISU live stream.

The ISU stream could generate plenty of $$ in the Canadian market, and plenty of Canadian fans would gladly pay for the stream were there no alternative. Speedy would be stupid not to set conditions. And he has a good nose for money, regardless of what else is said about him.

Why the CBC cares, though, I don't know.
  14. Peter_K

Peter_K Active Member

The reason there is still a figure skating lineup on Bold is simple.

It hasn't been sold yet.

As far as Bold is concerned, it's business as usual until the closing date.

The CRTC hearing for thie application by Blue Ant Media to buy Bold will take place on November 7. Here's the official CRTC Notice. You'll be interested in item 15.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-475.htm#15

It then usually takes several weeks (at least) before a decision is rendered. It could be quicker because this is probably considered more or less a "rubber stamp" type of decision. Considering that you're hitting near the holidays, don't expect to hear anything until sometime in January.

The closing date for the transaction is 5 business days from the date the CRTC has given their approval.

In the meantime, things need to be business as usual.

As an added note of interest, you can download the complete application at the link conveniently located on the CRTC webpage located above. I skimmed through it quickly and noted the following:

1. They (Blue Ant) is paying $8 million for the licence plug $2 million for the rights to all existing programming.

2. However, "...any premium or acquired programming (including any sports programming) is not included in the Service Fee..." so basically, any sports coverage will need to be worked out outside of this agreement.

So, the bottom line is, there will be figure skating on Bold. The only question is for how long. Lets hope the closing date isn't until after worlds. :)

--Peter
  15. alilou

Thank you so much for this information.

And yes, here's hoping the closing date is after worlds.
  16. Japanfan

I emailed PJ about coverage and here's here reply, which is encouraging. :)

17. alilou

Thanks Japanfan. Good news. I love that PJ is so accessible.
  18. seaner00

seaner00 New Member

Here's CTV/TSN's schedule

Skate Canada International

Friday October 26th
    2-5pm (TSN)
    7:30-10:30pm (TSN2)

Saturday October 27th
    2-4pm (TSN2)
    4-6pm (CTV)
    7-9PM (CTV)

Sunday October 28th
    7-9pm (TSN2) Gala

Canadian Figure Skating Championships

Friday January 18th
    2-5pm (TSN)
    7:30-10:30pm (TSN)

Saturday January 19th
    2-4pm (CTV)
    4-6pm (TSN)
    7-9pm (CTV)

Sunday January 20th
    4-6pm (TSN)
  19. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Comparing the tv and competition schedules, I think it'll be a pretty good chance we'll see every skater at Skate Canada. The ladies free and pairs free are question marks.

As for Canadians, ninety repeats of Amelie LaCoste's short program!
  20. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Oh hallelujah. :) I'm glad to hear we're going to get this season's fs coverage.
  21. Japanfan

It will depend on whether there are any repeat broadcasts between CTV, TSN, an TSN2. I sure hope not but still don't expect we will see every skater. :(
  22. skatingpj

skatingpj New Member

Hi everyone! In anticipation of tomorrow's show - I have been asked to follow up about our online CBC poll : who do you think will have the best chance of a successful comeback and why? Plushenko, Weir or Lysacek ?

I you are ok with being quoted in the show, please put an OK after your response and if I don 't see one - I won't use it...cheers :) Pj

PS - feel free to be in touch with me anytime - I really enjoy all of the discussion and debate!!
  23. Peter_K

Peter_K Active Member

24. Japanfan

25. Japanfan

CBC's coverage this GP season has been really disappointing. On today's NKH broadcast we saw two pairs and one dance team. No offense meant to you PJ - I love your commentary. I think one event showed five of the top ten men and that was about as good as it got. The broadcasts are slated in 'Sports Saturday' or some title like that, so the skating is interrupted with skating or bobsleigh coverage - or whatever.

I know that the government is trying to kill the CBC and give the network all my sympathy.

But for a figure skating fan who enjoys TV versus online coverage - complete with commentary (especially PJs) - its depressing. Especially since I actually have a husband who enjoys watching skating as well. It is a date night for us.

I'm worried that Worlds coverage will be severally abbreviated now that BOLD has been sold. And wondering if I'm going to have to get coverage from Americans or Europeans and watch it delayed. I'm never 'on time' for the live stream.
  26. Caliblue

Caliblue New Member

cbc.ca has their 2012 GPS shows to date. I'm based in the US, but was able to access them a couple of weeks ago. However, i now get "the content is currently not available" when i click on any of them. Did they suddenly geoblock them? If so, is there a way to get around it? Thanks in advance.
  27. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

You're right, they did just geoblock it. :( I have a VPN which is the main way to get around it, but hadn't needed it for their archives this season till now. Actually I think I was even able to watch their live stream ungeoblocked last weekend. Shame.
  28. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Canada still does a MUCH better job of showing skating than in the US. One would have thought that with the NHL lock out this would have presented an opening, but nope.
  29. yukisnowflake

yukisnowflake New Member

During the CBC's tv network coverage of the Grand Prix Final they were promoting the following;

Doc Zone episode entitled:Ice. Sweat & Tears (a CBC 1hr. documentary style show) which airs on Thurs. evenings @ 9pm). It is a behind the scenes look at figure skating. It is scheduled to air on Thurs. Mar. 7 2013.
    manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  30. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

If you have the Firefox browser you can download the Stealthy add on and ungeoblock stuff. I watch stuff on the BBC website that way.