Figure skating is dying, and judges can't prop it up

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I agree. Any possible new fan surfing channels and coming across a skating competition is not going to think it is a sport. I'm not against individual designs for competition outfits, but ban all embellishments--sequins/rhinestones/lace etc. The kinds of dresses used now can be for exhibition and gala events.

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

BTW - maybe there needs to be an ice show based on 50 Shades of Grey. ;)

3. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

oh god. i cannot disagree with this more. One of the few things that draws people to the sport are the sparkly costumes. No one is going to turn on the tv and watch a girl doing a beillman in a plain black onesie and go "now this is a sport".

4. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Everyone can skate to Love Story.

5. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Plus, the ones who want it be a sport and will only be attracted to it if it's a sport will NOT BE ATTRACTED TO IT. Or they will soon stop being attracted to it. To make our sport attractive to people who have a basic disagreement with what it is at it's core is not the answer. It's certainly not sustainable.

6. AndyWarhol

Surely the sparkly costumes is in part what attacks thousands of little girls (and boys) to skate, that eventually become our champions.

7. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

Maybe girls, but they are probably one of the reasons why so many boys don't dig the sport.

8. AndyWarhol

The whole twirling thing probably doesn't help either. Not many boys are drawn to gymnastics or ballet.

9. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Plenty of people watched when the likes of Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn and Dorothy wore, what would be considered today, as simple but attractive designs. No one complained. Today's excessive costuming is distracting. In fact the rules are in place requiring outfits that are sports like, but they obviously aren't being enforced.

10. AndyWarhol

But they are still pretty dresses, very much in keeping with the style of the times. There is a lot more "blingy" fashion around these days, which is reflected in the skating dresses. Same as in the 80's/early 90's with the shoulder pad dresses (and excessive hair spray).

I personally wish more skaters would adopt the more vintage dress look. So much more chic in my opinion.

I was arguing the point against plain black unitards (which actually suit less body types than dresses)

I do think skaters should be able to express themselves as they chose via costuming. We don't need any more restrictive rules.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think today's costumes are a lot less excessive and distracting than the costumes in the 80s!

There is a pretty big range from rather simple to ornate, it depends on the individual. Many of the men look like they walked in off the street...

12. AndyWarhol

Agreed. Same can be said for their fringes/bangs.

13. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I reviewed picture of the current so-called best dressed women and bling was at a minimum and most often completely missing in evening wear. Costumes like Michelle wore during the later part of her career seemed more reflective of current fashion than blingy fashion. But obviously I am fighting a losing battle.
    No, we don't need any more restrictive rules, just enforcement of the ones that exist. But it will be a cold day in hell before that happens. lmao

I was encouraged at worlds that many of the men had abandoned the excessive costuming and wore costumes really reflective of their musical choices.

14. AndyWarhol

I am more than happy to debate fashion all day ;)

If you are interested, I could send you some images of dresses that have been pulled for actresses for the logies... we can discuss the bling factor :D

(obviously, the logies is no oscars.. but eh, its pretty much the best we have here)

15. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Personally I always found MK's Vera Kwan dresses dull. Also, what do you do if a more blingy costume is more reflective of the music?

Just for fun, let's compare a few World Champions with the Oscar winners from that year...
    2002: Irina Slustkaya, Halle Berry
    2004: Shizuka Arakawa, Charlize Theron
    2007: Miki Ando, Helen Mirren
    2009: Yuna Kim, Kate Winslet
    2010: Mao Asada, Sandra Bullock
    2012: Carolina Kostner, Meryl Streep

Obviously an Oscars dress and a figure skating costume are very different in purpose and it's difficult to compare the two, but I don't find the skaters particularly flashy in comparison to the actresses. And this despite Oscar fashions usually being on the conservative side compared to most red carpet events.

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Chen Lu's black and pink outfit for her Take 5 SP was very nice and not a sequin in sight.

I did not care for Weir's corsets SP outfit in Turino nor his Poker Face one.

17. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Precisely! It's like saying women would be more attracted to boxing if only the boxers would hit each other a little less. My opinion is that there's plenty of people who like skating, the problem is that only a handful of them dedicate their time to watching some of it, the others either have other priorities or just don't bother following. I've lost count of the number of women I've heard saying that they like to watch but they don't know when it's going to be on tv, or they don't have a lot of time, etc... In general, men like the big tricks, so why not try to market pairs skating to them? Promote the skaters in teen magazines, they're the right age to do that... Design different competition formats so that it's less expensive and time consuming to attend. There's plenty that can be done without changing what the sport is, but the efforts are scattered and directionless unfortunately.

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  18. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Those are some great ideas! And not just the same old, same old!

19. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I was watching a video the other day of Skate America or some other event scored under 6.0 from several years ago. I can't remember which one or who the skater was--Michelle, probably. But Terry Gannon kept referring to "the leader board"--LOL!

20. joeperryfan

Thanks! :) If only I had the resources to implement my ideas instead of just having them...

21. BackOnTheIce

BackOnTheIce New Member

I am so tired of that blanket statement. Perphaps the popularity has died off at the elite level however in the three rink operation I work for we have over 3000 students currently enrolled in our skating programs and my freestyles are full.

:scream:

22. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I think the post you are quoting was talking about the popularity of skating as a spectator sport or as a televised sport, and wasn't referring to the amount of participation in it.

23. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Membership in my skating club is at an all-time high.

There is surely some correlation popularity of skating as a spectator sport and as a participant sport. But it may take years to see the effects in one direction or another, so it's not always easy to identify causes.

And some of the factors that increase participation at the grassroots level have nothing to do with spectatorship of elite events. As long as people like to take skating lessons and participate in figure skating events, including in non-Olympic disciplines, the sport as a whole can thrive. Money from outside would be welcome, but it's not the only measure of health.

Clearly that is the case. But Brennan and other journalists talking about "skating" as a whole when they mean skating as a spectator sport, and posters hear continuing that reduction, is both inaccurate and offensive to all the active participants out there enjoying a healthy sport.

24. Aussie Willy

This! Lack of skating coverage has nothing to do with participation levels in the sport here. Skaters only discover there are international events when they start skating and people suggest they can watch clips on Youtube.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  25. joeperryfan

And most people don't know that there are more competitions besides euros and worlds.

26. AndyWarhol

Of the two people that I am friends with at my rink, neither watch skating. One of them (a coach) doesn't know when its on, however, if i send then links to youtube will watch selected programs after the event, and the other (a snr level ice dancer) told me at a party they "hate" watching skating. I don't understand the lack of correlation between doing skating and watching skating. I guess I'm a freak. I even like going and watching local competitions. I figure if the skaters them selves don't enjoy watching how can we expect the general public to?

27. Aussie Willy

I can understand if you don't watch it because you don't know where to find it, but if you are a coach or competitive skater you should certainly be watching it, just to see what is going on in the skating world. Gee you might actually learn something.

28. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, assuming they coach competitive skaters or are competitive. The majority of skaters aren't. There's not a whole lot someone who teaches 99.9999% rec skaters is going to take away from watching senior-level competitions, at least not that's applicable to their daily lives. For the vast majority of skaters and coaches, what's winning at Worlds really has negligible effect on their own skating.

That, and there may be an element of having had enough--I don't really watch a whole lot of cooking television when I'm working in a culinary job (heck, I can't figure out why I watch "Chopped" at all except for some kind of sociopathic enjoyment watching others crash and burn with a mystery basket). I asked my mother (a retired dentist) when she pointed this out "Did you come home and watch films of people doing root canals?" If you get home after spending eight hours in a freezing rink working on Freestyle 1 and Snowplow Sams and people looking to do their Pre-Juv moves in a month or two, the last thing you may want to do is switch on the TV and watch MORE skating.

And on some level I also get there being a difference between watching and doing. Some activities I don't mind watching (at a dance comp I'll sit and watch, I'll watch the horse shows at the county fair though I won't go out of my way for just a horse show), some I will watch but I'd rather be involved (I'll *watch* horse racing on TV, but it's a lot more fun if I'm at the track betting and yelling and with other people), some I'd rather DO if given the choice (I like watching skating, when I have a skater I care about, but given the choice of watching an hour of skating on TV or spending an hour skating at the rink, I'll take the later any time.)

29. AndyWarhol

I agree. I was shocked on both accounts!

30. joeperryfan

ITA, I've noticed this behaviour in other athletes as well, it's like they've had enough and I think in part it's also uncomfortable to watch elite skaters knowing you'll never get to do what they do no matter how many hours of work you put on the ice.