Figure Skating for everyone not going to the Olympics

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Jozet, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

I'm a columnist for our local paper. I promise I won't spam FSUniverse with my columns, but I thought I'd share one more.

This week, I wrote about National Skating Month. I know most people have their mind on the Olympics, but I just wanted the reminder out there that there is so much more to skating than trying to be the next Scott Hamilton or Michelle Kwan.

Also, I'm starting to read those "figure skating isn't a sport" debates, to which my answer is "who cares if it is or isn't." I mean, I guess being recognized as a college sanctioned sport would be great. But even that won't directly affect so many of the recreational or adult skaters out there.

So here it is:

http://www.pennlive.com/living/index.ssf/2014/01/figure_skating_isnt_penn_state.html

(Some commentors on the site have been griping that too many of the headlines are "Penn State this" or "Penn State that," so a bit of a joke, there.)

ioana, KatieC, gkelly and 3 others like this.
  2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Jozet, post your links any time! Your columns are great! I love this one, and I love the pictures too. I think it's really important for people to see that skating isn't always the mega-glitz of the Olympics, and that there's many different types of skating and many different people doing it and enjoying it.

3. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

Loved the column! Thanks for posting!

4. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

That was fabulous. Thank you so much.

5. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

GREAT article! :)

I've already added "bite my axel" to my vocabulary, and I think the comparison of testing in skating and earning belts in the martial arts is really apt and a great way to explain it.

6. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

Very nice article. I like the attitude Jozet. I too like to skate and started when I was slightly older than you. It's better than running, and better than swimming, especially since you don't have to get wet in the winter! :) And it keeps my back and hip pains away.

7. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Aw, thanks, everyone!

I sometimes help out at tots class,and I love talking to the parents and letting them know right off the bat all that skating has to offer as a lifelong sport. Another great selling point for parents of young, energetic kids is that the rink is a "playground" that is open in rainy weather, hot weather, and days when it's too cold to go outdoors. My youngest kiddo is 7 years old, and because he can skate and has an outlet for his infinite energy, I think we'll survive this cabin fever in the super cold Northeast.

8. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

:) I should forward this along to coworkers next time they ask if I'm going to the Olympics when I mention skating sessions early in the morning.

9. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Great article.

Until recently I skated on an adult synchro team. We ranged from 20s to 80s. Seriously. The 80-year-olds only retired when they turned 80. How's that for evidence that skating can keep you healthy and active for MANY years?