Figure skating fans deserve better

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by WildRose, Jan 29, 2013.

1. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

The Globe coverage will be missed but writing for Skate Canada's website will only give us SC approved info. Still, it's interesting to hear about what the skaters are doing.
    BTW Tanina, your post sounds almost like a press release itself!

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Here in the USA, the sports channels don't even mention figure skating results- not even worlds. GPs are out of the question. They don't mind showing high school girls' softball tournaments, high school football, and poker, but they act as if FS does not exist.

3. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Or as Rod Black might say, "Beverley has left the building!" Seriously, glad that Smith will be reporting through an online outlet & that a new book is in the works.

4. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Definitely agree with you here. Accurate, insightful, knowledge-base went back so thoroughly. Informative for both the casual and dedicated fan.

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm in the US; and will order Beverley's book when it is released.

6. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Compared to other figure skating "reporters", Beverley Smith is definitely the best. However, (I can't think off the top of my head)..but I know I've read articles that have had inaccuracies & even in her books there have been small things. I'm getting old and can't remember exact examples..but as I said, she's the best of the group & obviously has a passion for the sport.

I will say, her recent article on the Skate Canada website..on Gilles/Poirier..had what I felt was a snarky opening re: ice dancing. This:

One thing is perfectly clear: ice dancing is a dangerous, taxing sport.

The statement may have seemed absurd at one time, but no more, not with a judging system that asks so much of the ballroom breed.

When was it absurd to consider ice dancing a dangerous/taxing sport? Before the new system?? Because, Bourne/Kraatz were before the new system, and I don't think Shae Lynn Bourne would have required knee surgery if it wasn't taxing...and since ice dancing has lifts, I think it would be considered dangerous. Also...the term "ballroom breed" just irked me for some reason.

7. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

I just wanted to clarify something posted earlier. The CBC receives government funding but not CTV/TSN. Those networks are privately owned, and receive no tax $$$ at all.

I'm glad the CBC is still broadcasting international events like Worlds. I much prefer their coverage to that of CTV and as a bonus, no Rod Black.

8. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

The way I look at it is that IceNetwork may be on the internet, but at least there is a way for the US to watch a lot of the figure skating events this year. The one time price I had to pay whereas it's monthly for cable or satellite TV isn't bad considering all the skating events I'll get to see this year. I just wish that IceNetwork wasn't geo blocked for other countries.

9. Winnipeg

Winnipeg Well-Known Member

Rod the "is he/she the NEXT one?" Black.............. :p