Figure Skating Duels

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by cocovica, Jul 27, 2012.

1. cocovica

cocovica New Member

Hello everyone:),
    I thought it could be fun to vote for your favourite in the famous figure skating duels from the history. So, enjoy and feel free to comment as well if you take your votes. More are coming soon. Thanks!

First round
    Michelle Kwan vs Tara Lipinski, olympics 1998
    http://www.krasobru.4fan.cz/duel-michelle-kwan-tara-lipinski/

:sasha1:

In this one I would not be able to vote! I am huge fan of Michelle but Tara's free program always brings me to tears (specially with that crazy Hamiltons commentary:lol:)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  2. bartek

bartek New Member

Tara hands down. That particular night, Michelle's performance didn't held a candle to Tara's one. IMO, Tara's skate is the second best ever Olympic free skate right after Kim Yu-Na. Amazing technical content with extremely difficult triple-triple in the second half of the program! Besides, extraordinary joy and exuberance, a pleasure to watch. Michelle, on the other had, had much less difficult program and her jumps weren't super high either and she flutzed too.

3. Nan

Nan Just me

Michelle. I always enjoyed watching her skate...I loved this. Tara seemes to push against the ice when she skates, Michelle flows across it like water.

4. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Tara 100% her Olympics was one of the best of all time. Great technical content.

5. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Michelle skated the performance of her life at US Nationals a month prior to Nagano.

The difference in Japan (for me) was that Tara skated to win, and Kwan skated not to lose. Michelle seemed to skate a little more cautiously, and the magic from Philadelphia was missing.

6. Canadask8er

Canadask8er New Member

They seemed to switch after nationals.... Tara skated to be on the Olympic Team in Philly after a fall in the SP, and Michelle skated free without inhibitions.... At Nagano, Michelle skated not to lose (as previously mentioned), and Tara just went lights out and had a blast! A great Olympics duel for the ages!!!

7. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I agree with this, Michelle seemed like wanted to be out there forever but Tara looked as if she just wanted to do her elements as fast as she could and get it over it. It was too frenetic. It barely looked like she left the ice when she jumped.

8. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Ita
    Where others see spark in Tara's lp, I just see nervous energy. She always sped her way thru her lps like she had freddy kruger chasing her, but in nagano I think she was a bundle of nerves.

9. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think it was right that Tara took it, she just skated with more exuberance that night, but it WAS very close and if Michelle had won it wouldn't have been a travesty. IIRC Michelle also only did a 3-2 while Tara did a 3-3 combo.

10. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

Chazz Michael Michaels and Jimmy MacElroy. :D

11. bartek

bartek New Member

I have the same exact feeling while I'm watching Michelle's performance. She was so nervous and afraid of making any mistakes. I feel the pressure before every single jump she landed there. And the technical content was really weak when compared to Tara. Actually Michelle made four technical mistakes even if only one of them was noticed under 6.0. She flutzed both lutzes, landed on the inside edge on her flip and had a sloppy landing on that and also, she was half a turn short of rotation on her solo triple loop. Tara only had two flutzes but the rest was wonderful. Some people say she jumped so low, but Michelle's jumps were also rather low and this is why she often cheated them a bit. Even if we used CoP to judge Tara's skate, her highly difficult 3L-3L would still be given credit. That's really amazing because it's so hard rotate the second triple loop. What's more, compare Michelle's cobos to Tara's. Michelle looks ridiculous with her weak content. 3Lz-2T and 3Lo with 2T in sequence. Tara had both of her tough combinations in the second half, and, in fact, 3T-0.5L-3S was at the very end.

12. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

Tara deserved to win.

With that said, Michelle's program is much more sophisticated. It's a piece of art. Tara's not so much (although her presentation was great, filled with joy and exuberance)

13. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

14. t.mann

t.mann New Member

15. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

michelle's sp >>>> tara's sp

16. cocovica

cocovica New Member

17. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Brian Boitano. Orser had a noticeable jump landing error. I do not think their scores should have been that close.

18. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Tara was over-scored on the second mark. Her presentation was not sophisticated and her artistry was forced, not natural. The second mark was supposed to break a tie under the 6.0 system. If Tara was better in tech (not by that much--Michelle did 7 triples) Michelle was equally better in presentation. So, in my opinion, Michelle should have won.

19. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

20. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Presentation doesn't need to be sophisticated

21. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I was hoping this would be pistols at 20 paces.